My_Ref Fremen Edition Interest/Group Buy - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2013, 12:38 PM   #11
lucylu is offline lucylu  England
diyAudio Member

Hi i have the my ref c ultimate bom and its a great little amp very happy with it ,,is it worth building this one , is it that much better,,, .

Dario i must commend you on all the work you have put in over what must be a couple of years with this amp outstanding regards john
Old 8th February 2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

I'm a little curious and would like some feedback about this amp. So anyone can answer this question or please redirect me to the right thread.

Since this is a LM3886 design, how does it differ in sound from the standard layout that everyone else does (specsheet, etc...) and that we have been seeing everywhere for the last many years.

Does it still has the monolithic 3886 signature or the design really makes it in a different league? Can the LM318 be changed to a higher performing opamp or it is not needed to go overboard?

Thanks
Do
Old 8th February 2013, 03:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Since this is a LM3886 design, how does it differ in sound from the standard layout that everyone else does (specsheet, etc...) and that we have been seeing everywhere for the last many years.
For a short answer I recommend you take a look here: Mauro Penasa MyRef vs simple LM3886 circuit and also at the associated link on the second (#2 post) on that thread. The link will lead you to the original discussion which is the presentation of the original circuit by Penasa.

I do recommend you take a thorough read of the original thread. It contains a lot of information and feedback, which i know may be a bit annoying to read fully but, it does answer most of the questions relating to the amp.

This link was also very useful for me when i was considering building the my ref: MyRefC build guide

Remembering this is all information relating to the My_Ref rev C. This is not feedback on this specific version (the one the groupbuy is for). Just making clear.

Last edited by ilovepicles; 8th February 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 8th February 2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Hi D9,

Quote:
All My_Refs are way better than a plainGainclone.

You can read my opinion here.

Quote:
Does it still has the monolithic 3886 signature or the design really makes it in a different league?
No, My_Ref's sound signature is dominated by the LM138's one.

The LM3886 is used as an Howland current pump.

It's somewhat similar to Quad 405 approach, the goal is the same: approaching class A performance on crossover distortion.

The My_Ref it's, basically, a chip implementation of De Paravicini's Musical Fidelity A-370.

LM318's sound signature and the topololgy gives a really remarkable sound, not distant to best valve or class A discrete implementations.

The My_Ref performance, though, like the MF A-370 one, can be vastly improved by the LM318 PS (In fact the better sounding A-370 II included a discrete regulator for LM318 PS).

The Fremen Edition improve that area and include other significant improvements.

Quote:
Can the LM318 be changed to a higher performing opamp or it is not needed to go overboard?
The LM318 is integral part of the A-370/My_Ref topology and can't be easily swapped withoud redesigning completely the compensation.
Old 8th February 2013, 07:13 PM   #15
mkc is offline mkc  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Dario,

+1

Thanks,
Mogens
Old 8th February 2013, 07:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Dario,

I am in.

kind regards,

Ron
Old 8th February 2013, 07:38 PM   #17
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

You had me at "better than a plainGainclone"

I'm in!
Old 8th February 2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Hi Mogens,

Welcome on board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justadude View Post
I am in.
Hi Ron, please fill in the spreadsheet.

Quote:
You had me at "better than a plainGainclone
Old 8th February 2013, 08:07 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
It is going to be my first build of amp. Been following the RC thread and I am so much excited about it
Old 8th February 2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxonline View Post
It is going to be my first build of amp. Been following the RC thread and I am so much excited about it
It's not difficult to build, if you have good soldering abilities it will be a lot of fun

Hide this!Advertise here!