• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My_Ref Fremen Edition Interest/Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm on the list for 2 more. I have only built the first pair and this will make 4 more to go, but it is a great sounding amp and I have to plan for future projects.

Dario,

It is only one man's opinion, and I wouldn't want to delay others who are anxious to get their first FE, but that is a nice price break at 50 boards, so I wouldn't mind delaying until we got there.

It is only one man's opinion, and I wouldn't want to delay others who are anxious to get their first FE, but that is a nice price break at 50 boards, so I wouldn't mind delaying until we got there.

You're right there's a nice price break from 50 kits (not boards, each kit = 2 boards).

25 kits is the minimum quantity necessary to order boards but it would be nice to reach 50 kits/pairs (100 boards) so to have the lower price.

It's also for this reason that the GB will remain open until the end of February... ;)

Hi Dario,

There is a toroid group buy going on and I was thinking on gaffing a couple. Does your design have the same power requirements as a normal lm3886 type amp, 18-22v for 4ohm speakers and 23-36v for 8ohm speakers? These toroids are 400-800va ..is this ok?

kind regards,

Ron

I also signed in the hope to soon feel the sound of this intriguing amplifier.

Welcome:)

Does your design have the same power requirements as a normal lm3886 type amp, 18-22v for 4ohm speakers and 23-36v for 8ohm speakers? These toroids are 400-800va ..is this ok?

Transformer requirements are:

160VA min, dual secondaries 24-25V (8 Ohm) or 21-22V (4 Ohm)

Higher VA ratings give a fuller sound,

R-Cores requirements are lower my 120VA one sound louder than a 225VA toroid.

For each kit (2 channel) two tranformers are required.

I would suggest partecipants to read at least the RC build thread, a lot of questions are already answered on it.

Render of PCBs

I've just figured out that I didn't posted any image of the final boards...

You'll find attached a render of the PCBs.

The main difference from Release Candidate boards is the fixed cofiguration for C9/R10 (different from My_Ref original one, as suggested by KSTR and tested during RC phase).

Other minor differences are some holes diameter and a more refined trace toward R3.

One final note about price... we've reached 35 kits/70 PCBs, price so far dropped to 32€/kit

Attachments

• My_Ref_FE Top.jpg
    My_Ref_FE Top.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 693
  • My_Ref_FE Bottom.jpg
    My_Ref_FE Bottom.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 677
  • My_Ref_FE Eagle.jpg
    My_Ref_FE Eagle.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Hello Dario,

I read in the past great reviews of My_Ref amplifiers and I'm considering to build one for myself, then I'm happy that you are kindly starting a GB of an improved implementation.
I have some questions about your implementation (maybe some of them are covered elsewhere, this is just to collect info here):

1) about the transformer/s: do you think that 22Vac secondaries are ok?

2) is it known the behavior of my_ref amplifiers with low impedance speakers? (I have 4Ohm speakers, even with lower impedance minimum...)

3) about your kit, is the BOM available? (I read that you made a cost estimation already). If not, will you make one available here?

Thank you,

Daniele

Ciao Daniele,

1) about the transformer/s: do you think that 22Vac secondaries are ok?

For 4 Ohm speakers, yes

2) is it known the behavior of my_ref amplifiers with low impedance speakers? (I have 4Ohm speakers, even with lower impedance minimum...)

It really depends on the speakers...

The My_Ref (and the FE has same advantages/limitations in this regard) has great driving abilities on 8 Ohm speakers and on most 4 Ohm (21-22V secories required) ones but it's still a 40W amp and very demanding speakers can cause troubles.

But I've no way to tell it in advance...

3) about your kit, is the BOM available? (I read that you made a cost estimation already). If not, will you make one available here?

Both BOMs can be found on the first post of Release Candidate thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.