• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the limited space I have available this is probably the best I can do; Standoffs as posts with some sort of rubber band attached to corners. Its going to make connecting the Amanero to the Reclocker a pain in the behind though. The bands will also cause ongoing maintenance issues. Is it worth it, has anybody actually tested suspension?

Attachments

• Reclocker Suspension.JPG
    Reclocker Suspension.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 551
Is it worth it, has anybody actually tested suspension?

Vibration control on the clocks is really worth it. I have an alternative approach. I find a blob of mac tac, or blue stuff stuck right on each or both clocks will get you 90% of the way to great sound. You can put it on both sides of the pcb. This simple hack takes 5 mins and is easy to reverse to see if it is imagined or real.

The other thing I learned was that when I have the S03 suspended by a big rubber band, I messed up the grounding. In my case that meant attaching a good copper lead from the corner near the clock to my star ground. I expect it all depends on your grounding scheme, but something to try.

Direct Drive DSD!

These are all good, thanks! Commercial designs tend to obscure the concept a bit, so tubes and transformers aside here is something simplified:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The S03 has fairly strong outputs and should be able to drive passive filters directly. Choose cut-off frequency (say, @50/100KHz) to recover the baseband audio and remove the DSD carrier which starts from 2.8MHz DSD64 - fairly spaced apart so a simple LPF will do as shown.

There will be a dc offset of ~1.6V from averaging the unipolar switching and should be blocked using a coupling cap. Usually the Buffer/Amp has one at the input so this taken care off - but don't forget to mute at power on/off !!!

For steeper roll-off. cascaded filters and its associated buffers should be used. I think this is what is done by the triode filters of the Lampizator and the digital filters of ESS DACs, etc

Simply duplicate for the other channel... and that is it!

An implementation:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DSD only
Sounds amazing! Connect straight to Amps. More to come ...

That's great! If using the EDEL instead the BBB still the S03 is required?

I have both of them anyway... really curious to try those small boards :)

If you do not wish to use isolation or reclocking, simply connect EDEL outputs straight to the inputs of this DSD DAC. For quick testing I actually connected the outputs of Amanero straight into these!

Aha... So, just miss this 2 boards.

In case you want to start a GB please add me for 2 of them.

Cheers,
Enrico

Thanks Enrico, I will keep you in mind...

Fyi, though the boards look like production units they are actually still experimental, so not for release yet and you haven't missed anything:)

The current version has no Volume control but I am doing another model that has lossless digital volume on-board but gets complicated and costs! So maybe two models to choose from.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks Enrico, I will keep you in mind...

Fyi, though the boards look like production units they are actually still experimental, so not for release yet and you haven't missed anything:)

The current version has no Volume control but I am doing another model that has lossless digital volume on-board but gets complicated and costs! So maybe two models to choose from.

Thanks Acko... I didn't want to push your shoulder :) but as you said the boards doesn't look as experimental

Talking about the volume control, I am using the EDEL through BubbleUpNp that have already a volume control (lossless? I am not sure). You think that a Volume control is still required?

Thanks Acko... I didn't want to push your shoulder :) but as you said the boards doesn't look as experimental

Talking about the volume control, I am using the EDEL through BubbleUpNp that have already a volume control (lossless? I am not sure). You think that a Volume control is still required?

No problems!

Actually Edel with its own digital volume is perfect for this basic DSD DAC module. So pretty much ready for you once I have completed all tests :)
Of course there are cases where you would like a separate physical volume for other digital sources or something to run to just in case :D

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No problems!

Actually Edel with its own digital volume is perfect for this basic DSD DAC module. So pretty much ready for you once I have completed all tests :)

Yeahh! Thanks Acko!... waiting your PM :D :D :D

Of course there are cases where you would like a separate physical volume for other digital sources or something to run to just in case :D

Fully agreed :D

Hi James, there was some discussion about this in the no-dac dac thread. Some tools like HQplayer can run realtime conversion and act as a server and use an embedded client like the BBB as a NAA (Network audio adapter). I've not read of anybody having gotten this to work on Miero's image yet.

Pushing anything higher then DSD64 glitch free over FastEthernet on something like a BBB will be a challenge as well.

My hope is that the next version of the BBB will be backwards compatible in the same formfactor, but with a much faster CPU.

So we are left with pre-encoded local files for DSD playback on a BBB based embedded players at the moment, as far as I can tell. But they will probably sound amazing. :)

Last edited:
Yes indeed!
Do any of these small computers like the beaglebone possess the processing power to convert pcm to dsd on the fly?

I've done some experimenting with upsampling my FLAC files to DSD using HQ Player; my atom processer based computer couldn't even deliver DSD64 so it's unlikely a BBB will have sufficient processing power.

On the other hand, using gigabit Ethernet connections I have rendered a DSD256 .dsf album on a BBB/Botic (ie, no upsampling, just simple network playback) so it looks like a BBB might be upto the NAA component in a HQ Player setup; I've recently purchased a high spec workstation to explore this further (benchmarks at around 9000 so should be good to upsample to DSD256 - should know pretty soon). I want to try loading the HQ Player NAA component onto a Botic/BBB to see if that is a viable set up.

Moving back to Acko's new hardware development, I've already achieved excellent direct 'no-dac' DSD playback using a simple LF filter and Acko's design looks as though it will significantly improve on that with properly sorted 'noise' management and digital volume control - I'm really looking forward to this development.

Ray

Last edited:
[
On the other hand, using gigabit Ethernet connections I have rendered a DSD256 .dsf album on a BBB/Botic (ie, no upsampling, just simple network playback) so it looks like a BBB might be upto the NAA component in a HQ Player setup; I've recently purchased a high spec workstation to explore this further (benchmarks at around 9000 so should be good to upsample to DSD256 - should know pretty soon). I want to try loading the HQ Player NAA component onto a Botic/BBB to see if that is a viable set up.

Ray[/QUOTE]

Ray

Could you share more about your new workstation?

Thanks

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.