• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Iv'e struggled with what "asynchronous mode"actually means is happening in the signal path. I have read various definitions, Wikipedia has several, but it's no clearer in my mind.

Any chance of having a go at explaining it to me?

Async mode for this case means the DAC master clock and transport clock are completely independent of each other.The default build of BIIIs is Async as it has the Crystek XO mounted and enabled. So the I2S signals and its clock from transport are running freely on their own. If you have a 2CH scope and monitor the clock/signals you can only trigger onto one of them - the other channel appears running around (async behaviour)

The default build of my own DACs is for Synchronous operation. XO is not mounted and this means you will need to source DAC master clock elsewhere and usually from the transport. This puts the DAC and Transport I2S signals in Sync mode as the source of clocks are the same. On a scope, triggering onto any one of the signals also locks onto the others as well (sync behaviour)

Of course, as what Brian explained you can get the BIIIs in Sync mode by disabling the the on-board XO (unpower it) and then pipe in the external clock from transports like from the S03 board.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Async mode for this case means the DAC master clock and transport clock are completely independent of each other.The default build of BIIIs is Async as it has the Crystek XO mounted and enabled. So the I2S signals and its clock from transport are running freely on their own. If you have a 2CH scope and monitor the clock/signals you can only trigger onto one of them - the other channel appears running around (async behaviour)

The default build of my own DACs is for Synchronous operation. XO is not mounted and this means you will need to source DAC master clock elsewhere and usually from the transport. This puts the DAC and Transport I2S signals in Sync mode as the source of clocks are the same. On a scope, triggering onto any one of the signals also locks onto the others as well (sync behaviour)

Of course, as what Brian explained you can get the BIIIs in Sync mode by disabling the the on-board XO (unpower it) and then pipe in the external clock from transports like from the S03 board.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you, a lot clearer.

Using S02 for raspberry pi?

Hi Acko. I'm using the raspberry pi with the Doede dac. I used a diyinhk amanero isolator between the rpi and the dac. I was wondering if I can do the same with your S02 board? If I want to try it without reclocking, can I just use the S02 board powered but without RCK as a stritcly isolator board?

If I then want to add reclocking, for the above use it will be best to use the 40's mhz range clocks to populate the AKX03 board? The 90's mhz clocks will not work?

Sorry for the ignorance... Thanks.

Hi Acko. I have asked the vendor regarding the DSDOE pin of their 9018 board, he stated that the DSDOE pin is needed for proper DSD switch over, now I got a question, can I connect the DSDOE from Amanero directly to the 9018 board without isolation? Will noise be intruded into the 9018 board? But since the S03 output side ground (0V) was indeed isolated from the USB side, will it work by just connecting the DSDOE pin? If isolation is needed, will it work by rewiring the DSDOE pin to pin 3 (original MCK) of the 4 ch isolator and tapping it from pin 14 to the 9018 board?

Sorry for my bad English. Hopefully you can understand my question XD

Last edited:
Hi Acko. I'm using the raspberry pi with the Doede dac. I used a diyinhk amanero isolator between the rpi and the dac. I was wondering if I can do the same with your S02 board? If I want to try it without reclocking, can I just use the S02 board powered but without RCK as a stritcly isolator board?

If I then want to add reclocking, for the above use it will be best to use the 40's mhz range clocks to populate the AKX03 board? The 90's mhz clocks will not work?

Sorry for the ignorance... Thanks.

Yes, the S02 board can be used as a simple isolator by just populating only the required parts.

As for the S03 boards you may use any clock as suited to your DAC. I guess apart from ESS DACs the rest will only handle less than 50Mhz clocks

Again the reasons why S01/S02/S03 are made available are bare boards.

Hi Acko. I have asked the vendor regarding the DSDOE pin of their 9018 board, he stated that the DSDOE pin is needed for proper DSD switch over, now I got a question, can I connect the DSDOE from Amanero directly to the 9018 board without isolation? Will noise be intruded into the 9018 board? But since the S03 output side ground (0V) was indeed isolated from the USB side, will it work by just connecting the DSDOE pin? If isolation is needed, will it work by rewiring the DSDOE pin to pin 3 (original MCK) of the 4 ch isolator and tapping it from pin 14 to the 9018 board?

Sorry for my bad English. Hopefully you can understand my question XD

If your DAC board requires DSDOE signal then you will néed to tap this separately and isolate before going to the DAC. 9018 DACs do not require external dsd active signals to function but your vendor maybe using dsd signals to switch some on-board controller to set other functions.

If you take DSDOE directly from Amanero to your DAC ( both signal and its gnd ref) then you will break all isolation provided by the S03 board

If you take just the DSDOE from Amanero and exclude its gnd ref then you get a floating signal and will not work. S03 output gnd is isolated from Amanero gnd.

Best to tap, rewire and isolate as in your last statement - after all you have the bare board for this flexibility.

Another question from the confused

In the SO3, R4 divides the clock by 4, R3 divides by 2, can I use 22.5792/24.576MHz clocks and not populate R4/R3 so the freq is fed undivided? This is to test S03's reclocking with the rpi or beaglebone black (when i2s out becomes available in the beaglebone). I have the two clocks leftover from another project.

Still curious about this AKU384, any chance to have a pdf file (or a big first post here) to summarize its possibilities like the waveio for ex. ( http://www.luckit.biz/downloads/WaveIO Infos.pdf ) ? It's a lot of money so...

The capabilities are indicated on my webpages. Basically, a special build the S03 board to wrap around the Amanero and with additional features as highlighted. You can also check all the posts here for more information and concepts. The Amanero itself has a new matching firmware and initial tests look promising. I am still evaluating clock modules from different manufacturers and hope to pick the best one. In the meantime all moved into position as shown for sound checks. As for price I am using top notch components for the best performance and material costs do add up I am afraid. In fact if the performance does not cut above other similar products I will drop this altogether. For DIY community I am only adding a small amount to cover my efforts so the price is close to production costs.

Attachments

• Test Setup.png
    Test Setup.png
    622.6 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Hi All,

While waiting for the tests to complete I think it is a good idea to get some discussions going especially if you need clarifications.

I will start by addressing a few queries raised recently:

1. The SO3 board is a general purpose digital isolator and re-clocker designed to clean up jitter from preceeding stages. It is not a signal processing device, has no embedded processor and intrinsically bit-perfect. So it will take any LVCMOS signal and data format (I2S, DSD, etc - even non-audio) - first isolates and then re-clocks with reference to a clean clock to present to DAC for best performance. In its current form the SO3 is supplied as an empty board so that you can match it closely to your intended application. You can even use it as a simple isolator like the previous SO1/2 board. Reference material can be found in the App Notes posted before. The SO3 board can be used with popular choice of audio transports like WaveIO, Hiface, Amanero, etc. Amanero allows greater interaction so you get benefits like Full Sync re-clocker for DACs like ESS.

2. The AKU384 is a purpose built device with the SO3 cct integrated around the Amanero for those who just want a finished product with tightly integrated features. It will be supplied with a specially programmed and configured Amanero plus warranty. No options to leave Amanero module out even though you have one already.

3. The "Roadmap" is to integrate the SO3 cct into other transport platforms.
especially if the interface is well published and no mods required on the transport that will affect manufacturers warranty.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.