• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dual Clock Board- AKX302

Dual XO upgrade with Full Synchronous Clocking capability. Local LDOs:
1. ADP150 LDO cct (on-board) 9uV noise
2. LT6655 Reg cct (on-board) 1uV noise
3. 3-Term Reg mounting point and space for Ian's tps7a4700 (4.8uV noise), Hynes or TPA Trident shunts (?? noise).
4. External 3.3V LiFePO4 bat (J2)

Hi All,

The new clock board has been released and thank to all those who purchased the intial batch, Hopefully you have received them by now. Originally intended as a simple clock to to drive the re-clocker board but was eventually expanded to a full-fledged dual clock design that can also interact with the transport for synchronous re-clocking. (very similar to the big brother AKX701!)

The App notes have been updated to reflect the new Full Sync Mode.

The last two pages shows how to use the extended capabilities of this board (Full Sync Mode). Re: ESS DACs

Some modifications are needed on most transports to implement the physical interface. The on-board XOs need to come off as the clock for transport is now supplied by the AKX302 that has been divided to match the frequencies required by transport, i.e transport is slaved:

e.g if 49.152MHz and 45.1568MHz are used on the AKX302 then the div/2 output gives 22.576 and 24.576 to match typical transport XO frequencies.

For 98.304MHZ and 90.3136MHz (e.g 9012/16/18 DACs) then use div/4 output to transport clock.

CKSEL line from the transport is used to select/enable XOs on AKX302. Isolation is again required for the Clock and CKSEL and this would require another one of the AKL-AMN boards or similar.

All this can be quite elaborate but if you have the Amanero USB then the latest firmware update allows external clock to be used without the need for any modification. The I/O lines of the Amanero gets re-mapped with the new FW. Still awaiting more details and confirmation but worth a try using the preliminary information from Amanero.

If the Re-Clocker ICs U2/U8 are changed to IL712 or equivalent for two way I/O and only single CKSEL is used then no additional isolator boards are required and simplifies connection.

The diagram illustrates the connections and further details ...

Attachments

• App Notes.pdf
    131.9 KB · Views: 313
Hi Acko,
I have the isolator and re-clocker board from the first group buy AKL-AMN-S02 and trying to decide which method I should try with the Amanero to a JP-Subbu 9023 DAC, a 50MHZ XO is feeding the 9023 MCK now. Will there be any benefit If I adopt the "Isolated Connection with Re-clocking - Async Mode" from page 3 of the app Notes ? How should I be feeding the RCK? Do I need the AKX302 XO Module? You also talk about PSync mode and Turbo PSync Mode in page 4 and 5, which one will give better result on the 9023 in Async mode?

Thanks

App Notes Update

Hi Acko,
I have the isolator and re-clocker board from the first group buy AKL-AMN-S02 and trying to decide which method I should try with the Amanero to a JP-Subbu 9023 DAC, a 50MHZ XO is feeding the 9023 MCK now. Will there be any benefit If I adopt the "Isolated Connection with Re-clocking - Async Mode" from page 3 of the app Notes ? How should I be feeding the RCK? Do I need the AKX302 XO Module? You also talk about PSync mode and Turbo PSync Mode in page 4 and 5, which one will give better result on the 9023 in Async mode?

Thanks

Hi Syklab,

There was actually missing page (Sync Mode). This would help with your setup. App Notes have been updated. Page3 now shows a basic Sync mode that can take your 50MHz clock. You may not require the AKX302 if you can derive clock from elsewhere. I am not sure how your Subbu DAC looks like. Any Pics or connection diagram?
Other modes are for you to experiment. I haven't tried all myself-was very busy with development lately. I am just listing all the possibilities. Maybe others who have progressed can help at this stage. There is one report here

Attachments

• App Notes.pdf
    139.8 KB · Views: 233
Hi Acko,

Thanks

Looks like the Subbu DAC has a 50MHz XO on-board for DAC MCLK. So if you are using the re-clocker then RCK can be fed from the DAC MCLK (PSync Mode-Page 5). You may need to remove the on-board XO and use the AKX302 Clock module for all other modes listed.

Acko, it is only possible to use HCMOS XO for ES9018 DAC, because there is no level converter in these boards?
If so is there ANY good 9x.x XOs avaible? otherwise the only ones i can find is the 4x.x CCHD-957's....
Also, great to have new notes to get the full resync working.. although i'll have to re-order new isolators...
Any tips on how to best remove the small isolators (for mute/dsd) without hot air station?

Acko, it is only possible to use HCMOS XO for ES9018 DAC, because there is no level converter in these boards?
If so is there ANY good 9x.x XOs avaible? otherwise the only ones i can find is the 4x.x CCHD-957's....

ESS DACs are LVCMOS or LVTTL (3.3V) for MCLK.
CCHD-957 covers us nicely for 45.xxx/49.xxx synchronous frequencies-great for 9023 DAC and also useful for 9012/18s but I am not sure if Crystek have something similar for 90.xxx/98.xx range to lift the game for 9012/18 DACs. Possibly FOX has something suitable. I will keep looking around.... and also if anyone has more leads please let us know!
Also, saw you PM regarding the AKX701 series. These use NDKs 7311 series but they are of high speed ECL type and makes the design more elaborate to match the DACs and expensive.($65ea for the XO). One of the reasons for rolling out the AKX302 is to see if something cheaper could do the same. So as soon as we get hold of a suitable HCMOS 90.xx/98.xxx type we will be on the money:)

Any tips on how to best remove the small isolators (for mute/dsd) without hot air station?
Yes, could be a problem. The information for Amanero is much newer than the Reclocker, so the BOM does not reflect this upgrade. I usually use a parallel remover tool (Hakko smd rework station) for so8 parts. Others have used a side cutter and iron on a pin at a time but needs care not to pull of the pads in the process. Yet others have poured loads of solder paste on the chip and while it is in a molten state, simply push off the chip!

There is one other option for removal that I'm aware of: ChipQuick SMD Removal Kit. It uses a low temperature de-soldering alloy. Works, doesn't cost a fortune. You can search for a supplier near you. It is easier to work with than lots of solder paste and also works at lower temperatures. The chips usually survive the process. Use very small amounts, in order not to "contaminate" near be solder joints.

I have had good success with the stuff.

There is one other option for removal that I'm aware of: ChipQuick SMD Removal Kit. It uses a low temperature de-soldering alloy. Works, doesn't cost a fortune. You can search for a supplier near you. It is easier to work with than lots of solder paste and also works at lower temperatures. The chips usually survive the process. Use very small amounts, in order not to "contaminate" near be solder joints.

I have had good success with the stuff.

This is unreal! See Video

Many thanks Grufti!

i got it away just like the video but with solder instead, worked quite fine i think.

Anyway, regarding XO. Fox does have 90.x/98.x Xpresso oscillators, but the phase noise performance is quite mediocre - i think at 10Hz is on approx -65dBc which is quite bad compared to CCHD-series.

I found that the si590 was available from digikey and are programmed by digikey to the
required frequencies, I looked over the specs, the seemed ok, if some one more knowlegeable could take a look? The were around $9 each.

https://www.silabs.com/Support Documents/.../Si590-591.pdf

This would be perfect fit! 5x7mm layout and pin pads all in right positions.
Go for it. I am going to order some for my own board :)
Digikey PN: 590CB-ADG-ND looking suitable (10-125Mhz, 25ppm and Output Enable active high type)

Thank you Iancortez!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.