• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Reference Clock (RCK)

What are the options/requirements for RCK ? It seems to be the clock pulse for the flipflop ?

Yes, RCK is the reference clock for the flip-flop. The quality of the regenerated output signals depend on this clock and also how cleanly the flip-flops switch. If you skimp on these the overall SQ may not be up to expectations.

RCK can be from a separate clock or tied to DAC MCLK. When used separately RCK is async w.r.t to the audio signals (I2S/DSD) and actually modulates the pulse width of the signals if you look at the timing/switching carefully. To minimize the effects RCK should be running higher that the max Fs, higher the better accuracy of the outputs. e.g. for 24.576MHz of typical transport clock, we are looking at ~50MHz minimum. 100MHz even better. Of course you could go higher if the Flip-flops can take it. The S01 ~200Mhz max but the PotatoChip version (S02) can be fried up to 600MHz! If also appears that XOs have better stability and lower phase noise at higher freqs and also there are some discussions on this SAW technology being better? .... so lots to experiment with these boards:)

Last edited:
Thanks Acko. My cm6631 has 45/49mhz clocks and the dacs to try this with have various clocks or none, so I'll need another xo. I have some Fox Xpresso 100 and 125Mhz left over from the es9018 so I'll try them first, and then look at buying lower phase noise/higher freq ones. SAW works great with es9018 but I haven't tried it with any other dac. might be fun. thanks again.

If I don't use u.fl, and instead mount the board very close to the DAC input, say <1cm away, what would be the best connector ? Solid core, say 18awg ? or flat copper strip, and if so, how wide ?

thanks

KK, you may connect with ordinary wires, links or twisted pairs if DAC is sufficiently close but take care as there is nothing to prop up the signals after they have left the board- ideally, should go straight into DAC inputs

Last edited:
BIII/BIIISE

... - ideally, should go straight into DAC inputs

There appears additional devices in the signal path on the DAC board before the inputs of the BIII (sidecar function) series. These will then influence the final signal quality. The same goes for anything you add after the re-clocker board, relays, switches, mux etc ...

RCK

PotatoChip version (S02) can be fried up to 600MHz!

The output signal signature will still be that of the input signals (FF action). A simple test is to apply dc logic (3.3V) on the inputs and check the corresponding outputs (yes, you can re-clock dc). There should be no trace of the reference clock (RCK) on the outputs.

Hi, it's an i2s switch, same as 74hc157. I've used 74vhc157 before but not the 3b20. Connect the "usually on" i2s source to one set of inputs and usb/i2s to the other and use the power of the usb to trigger the switch to usb/i2s, so it automatically selects usb when usb is plugged in, and selects the "usually on" i2s source if no usb is connected. Does that make sense ?

So amanero is the usb/i2s and the mux/switch allows a different i2s input when the amanero is unplugged from the pc.

Last edited:
Hi, it's an i2s switch, same as 74hc157. I've used 74vhc157 before but not the 3b20. Connect the "usually on" i2s source to one set of inputs and usb/i2s to the other and use the power of the usb to trigger the switch to usb/i2s, so it automatically selects usb when usb is plugged in, and selects the "usually on" i2s source if no usb is connected. Does that make sense ?

So amanero is the usb/i2s and the mux/switch allows a different i2s input when the amanero is unplugged from the pc.

I.C., I bought the otto2 from TPA for that but too lazy to hock it up, so when I get the Amanero isolator then I will try it.

Thanks for the info.

Otto 2 looks like the same thing (which IC ?) so I'd use that if you have it.

IMG_8612_zpse0cdd0bd.jpg

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FS/FST3257.pdf

Last edited:
resistor networks, massive PTH resistor networks

What do they do?

It so happens I may have fried the IC chip on my OTTO, the picture & my chip says it is FST3257G, but that chip, with the "G" on the end, is not listed in the data sheet or at Digi key or Mouser, I assue I should buy the FST3257M? to see if I can replace the otto chip, can anyone confirm I have this right?

Actually it'll have to be the MX

Last edited:
What do they do?

It so happens I may have fried the IC chip on my OTTO, the picture & my chip says it is FST3257G, but that chip, with the "G" on the end, is not listed in the data sheet or at Digi key or Mouser, I assue I should buy the FST3257M? to see if I can replace the otto chip, can anyone confirm I have this right?

Actually it'll have to be the MX

I haven't checked all the characteristics but I assumed OnSemi and Fairchild FST3257 devices are indeed fully compatible/exchangeable.
FYI: in the Onsemi part datasheet, the symbo for the SOIC16 is "FST3257G".
(Mouser p/n: 863-74FST3257DR2G).

btw Brian why did you use large ones, easier soldering for the DIYer? because mostly the small SMD ones are leadless and easy to screw up without hot-air or reflow?

Easier soldering for me, actually. I pre-mount the chips, and didn't want to have to get a stencil and deal with micro-alignment. Still pretty small when it's the only chip on the board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.