• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BBB- ESS DAC in Overdrive Mode

Full Sync capability, I2S and DSD

From previous posts, 45.xx/49.xxMHz clocks are enough for perfect synchronous re-clocking up to 384KHz Fs and this applies to ESS DACs also.

So why have some designs used 98.xxx/90.xxMhz clocks even though the re-clocking outcome remains unchanged?:

1. ESS DAC also connected to spdif direct. This is ASync operation and requires ~80Mhz clocks to handle up to 192KHz Fs. So 98.xxx/90.xxx handles this nicely. (only one clock needed)

2. Higher Fs beyond 384KHz?

3. The jitter reduction mechanism in ESS DACs works better at higher clock frequencies, obviously computations can be completed faster.

Assuming we ignore #1 and #2 or spdif not needed then we are left with just the prospect of better performance with this overdrive mode.

But there are issues to consider:

1. phase noise performance for typical 98.x/90.xx oscillators are generally not as good as the 45.xx/49.xx types from most crystal manufacturers. So whilst jitter reduction in the DAC yields higher apparent resolution this can be negated by the phase noise of the clocks- some reports have already indicated this effect, like sounding a bit bright, "musical", etc.

2. board, components and power supplies are stressed more at higher frequencies, plus EMI

May have to consider more expensive OCXO types and premium grade board material/parts if this type of operation is desired.

Attachments

• BBB-ESS DAC Sync-Overdrive.png
    BBB-ESS DAC Sync-Overdrive.png
    443.5 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
I'm using the raspberry pi and multi-purposing the S03 (which BTW, is a very flexible design, thanks Acko) with Doede's dac.....

Acko's support, as always, is outstanding... ;)
Hi Palmito,
In reference to your photo as per attached, I see the little PBC board used as input into DDDAC's I2S. Would you please direct me to where to source one? Anyone? :confused:

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Chanh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 416
Hi Palmito,
In reference to your photo as per attached, I see the little PBC board used as input into DDDAC's I2S. Would you please direct me to where to source one? Anyone? :confused:

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Chanh

That PCB(BIII adaptor) is from Ian's FIFO GB. I have one and used it on my DAC project as well. Many ppl don't release how useful it is. Its so useful I think I gonna buy a few when the next GB is on.

2nd picture
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy-136.html#post3662746

EDEL network audio Media Renderer

This is a very interesting product:
Network Audio Renderer | ABC PCB

Hard embedded system with no power sequencing or shutdown issues and no messing around with Linux. I2S and DSD with full flexibilty.

The S03 module matches well for full synchronous re-clocking, just replace the BBB as shown in the previous post with this EDEL NMR and you are away!

Thank You flowerpot. PM sent to Iancanada.

Interesting...! Looks like a very simple diy front end, only if it sounds equal or better than MPD using BBB? I've spent thousands of dollars getting my dual pc setup Optimised, Jplay in hibernate mode,..., and at the end found out by experiment that the little Raspberry Pi and BBB sound way better via I2S when using MPD. :confused:
I may get one to try out. Swiss made..., I'm sold! :D

Hard embedded system with no power sequencing or shutdown issues and no messing around with Linux. I2S and DSD with full flexibilty.

The S03 module matches well for full synchronous re-clocking, just replace the BBB as shown in the previous post with this EDEL NMR and you are away!

Yes, this one looks really REALLY interesting.. But the question is - who sells them? Seems to be OEM-sales through the manufacturer?

Interesting...! Looks like a very simple diy front end, only if it sounds equal or better than MPD using BBB? I've spent thousands of dollars getting my dual pc setup Optimised, Jplay in hibernate mode,..., and at the end found out by experiment that the little Raspberry Pi and BBB sound way better via I2S when using MPD.... :D

Many thanks for your efforts and feedback!
Just curious- after having checked out your "LauchPad":p with music apparently direct from a USB stick attached to the BBB whether there is any difference if streamed over a network? i.e. BBB as a network renderer

Last edited:
Many thanks for your efforts and feedback!
Just curious- after having checked out your "LauchPad":p with music apparently direct from a USB stick attached to the BBB whether there is any difference if streamed over a network? i.e. BBB as a network renderer

Haha..! Thanks for the compliment. Actual fact, I received lots of criticisms with this built and the direction I took in diy. Many ended up zipped up after I held many gtg(s) shootout this DAC against $25k+ high-end SACD player(s) and DAC(s), including Accuphase, PS Audio DSD,..., Oppo 95 modded by JLTi.

In regards to your curiosity, I found SD/Flash Drive/SSD sounded better than usb spin HDD, and again better than NAS without isolated switch with linear ps. My NAS is now connecting into a switch where each is power by a linear ps and upstream is a 5kVa isolation balance transformer. Despite that Usb flash drive and SD still sound inconveniently better! :D

Haha..! Thanks for the compliment. Actual fact, I received lots of criticisms with this built and the direction I took in diy. Many ended up zipped up after I held many gtg(s) shootout this DAC against $25k+ high-end SACD player(s) and DAC(s), including Accuphase, PS Audio DSD,..., Oppo 95 modded by JLTi.

In regards to your curiosity, I found SD/Flash Drive/SSD sounded better than usb spin HDD, and again better than NAS without isolated switch with linear ps. My NAS is now connecting into a switch where each is power by a linear ps and upstream is a 5kVa isolation balance transformer. Despite that Usb flash drive and SD still sound inconveniently better! :D

You are actually being richly rewarded:redhot:
Thanks to your pics and reports we can see clearly now that the underpinnings play a very important part!

Don't ditch the RPi or BBB yet as they can locally serve up music but the EDEL NMR and similar lifestyle products depend on network feed over many layers.

Again, going back to steadying the stream with NAS feed you may want to try inserting the fabulous Ian's FIFO (if you have one) and see how it goes. This should swamp out all perturbances and regenerate clean re-clocked signals.

Last edited:
...... the EDEL NMR and similar lifestyle products depend on network feed over many layers.

Again, going back to steadying the stream with NAS feed you may want to try inserting the fabulous Ian's FIFO (if you have one) and see how it goes. This should swamp out all perturbances and regenerate clean re-clocked signals.

There appears to be some sort of FIFO action in the EDEL MNR looking at the datasheet, so just as well

Is there anything similar with RPi and BBB? I cannot seem to find any concept diagrams or operational details for these 'open source' Linux boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.