Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB - Page 48 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2013, 11:02 AM   #471
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks! In this case if this reg is readily available then thinking of mounting horizontally over the on-board LDO cct. Any details of mechanical/dimensions?
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:07 AM   #472
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
Here we go again, whats a XO board do ?
Has to do with the Ref Clock (RCK) option where a separate XO is desirable. See App Notes

Last edited by acko; 23rd March 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:09 PM   #473
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
Thanks! In this case if this reg is readily available then thinking of mounting horizontally over the on-board LDO cct. Any details of mechanical/dimensions?
I don't think Ian has published any dimensions. I don't have any callipers here, but by measuring one I have here against a ruler I get 20mm x 31mm. The 3pin socket appears to be dead centre and holes are at 0.1in (2.54mm) pitch.

Here is a post where Ian shows it mounted a few different ways with the Si570 - diyAudio

In terms of availability, it is really only available whenever Ian runs a GB, so I'm not sure if I would describe it as 'readily available' though I can't see Ian having a huge objection to someone replicating the PCB since it is relatively simple. A similar circuit could be made on board though the QFN package reg chip isn't as simple (though it certainly is possible) to solder with conventional soldering iron so might not be ideal as the 'default' but it does represent a significant step up in performance over the ADP150.

My thoughts were that since the 3 pin vin,gnd,vout connection format is also used for other regulators this would allow people to experiment in the same way as Ian suggests in the post I've linked above.

Last edited by hochopeper; 23rd March 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:16 PM   #474
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here we go again, whats a XO board do ?
XO = Crystal Oscillator

Possibly gets confusing for non-electrically minded audio enthusiasts since we have more than one meaning for XO.

As Acko says, this board is for mounting an additional oscillator to generate RCLK.
Old 23rd March 2013, 07:20 PM   #475
diyAudio Member

LOL a kiss and hug board for you fav DAC.....
Old 24th March 2013, 06:43 AM   #476
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

This stuff hurts my brain

The App notes show;

Sync Mode, Direct Connection, No Isolation, I assume means this the Amanero is re-clocking the DAC?

ASync Mode, Direct Connection, No Isolation, this I assume means the DAC is re-clocking the Amanero signal?

PSync Mode, Isolated Connection, this I assume means the separate XO is re-clocking the Amanero signal?

I assume I can set up my board so the Amanero is isolated from the BIIISE & the BIIISE is doing the re-clocking of the Amanero signal? I assume this would be called ASync, Isolated.

I assume a lot
Old 24th March 2013, 08:54 AM   #477
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This stuff hurts my brain

The App notes show;

Sync Mode, Direct Connection, No Isolation, I assume means this the Amanero is re-clocking the DAC?

ASync Mode, Direct Connection, No Isolation, this I assume means the DAC is re-clocking the Amanero signal?

PSync Mode, Isolated Connection, this I assume means the separate XO is re-clocking the Amanero signal?

I assume I can set up my board so the Amanero is isolated from the BIIISE & the BIIISE is doing the re-clocking of the Amanero signal? I assume this would be called ASync, Isolated.

I assume a lot
May look confusing but there is a method to this madness

Quote:
Amanero MCLK clocks the DAC. Assuming of course the DAC module has no on-board XO or XO is disabled and MCLK feed is external

Quote:
Default connection for ESS DACs. "Re-clocking" and processing is within the chip itself

Quote:
Both DAC and Re-clocker tied to a single XO. AKL-AMN-SXX doing re-clocking and so is the DAC chip in somewhat synchronous manner (so the term 'psuedo' sync).

Depending on how your DAC, XO, Transport and Re-clocker is hooked up it will fall into one to the categories as listed in the App Notes. Which is the best setup or if there are any benefits of inserting the re-clocker is aim of this project.

Last edited by acko; 24th March 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 24th March 2013, 02:58 PM   #478
Malvin is offline Malvin  United States
diyAudio Member

My boards arrived. thank you!
Old 25th March 2013, 09:47 AM   #479
diyAudio Member

Default XO AKX302

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
Simple XO board for use with the re-clocker and DACs:
Some updates:
Added mounting points for 3-term Reg option e.g Ian's, Hynes etc
Attached Images
File Type: png AKX302Prev.png (36.7 KB, 229 views)
Old 25th March 2013, 09:57 AM   #480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
Got the "slow" board up and running today - using adum3440, 125Mhz Fox on rclk, and SN74AUP1G79DBVR as flipflops. Source is a cm6631A (45/49 mhz clocks), 192Khz @32bit into AKM AK4399 DAC (no local clock - uses isolated/re-clocked mclk from cm6631a). It sounds very good even in the temporary hook-up condition ...
Good example of "Sync-Mode with isolation and Re-Clocking" Re: App Notes

Hide this!Advertise here!