Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2013, 11:43 AM   #451
Account disabled at member's request

Hi Acko,

Got the "slow" board up and running today - using adum3440, 125Mhz Fox on rclk, and SN74AUP1G79DBVR as flipflops. Source is a cm6631A (45/49 mhz clocks), 192Khz @32bit into AKM AK4399 DAC (no local clock - uses isolated/re-clocked mclk from cm6631a). It sounds very good even in the temporary hook-up condition. Thank you for doing this project !

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by KlipschKid; 20th March 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:07 PM   #452
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Great to hear! Thanks Tom
Only just started with soldering my own boards ....

Last edited by acko; 20th March 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 20th March 2013, 01:14 PM   #453
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
Unfortunately the current batch is all sold out. But you can add your details to the waiting list for the next batch here...
Many Thanks. Just added.
Old 21st March 2013, 11:46 PM   #454
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
More App Notes ...
Acko,

I just wanted to say thank-you for those diagrams, I think they summarise the options quite clearly!

At least initially I will be using iancanada's Si570 @98MHz for RCLK, because I have no other clocks fast enough at hand (seems a bit ridiculous but hey we're all having fun!)

Cheers,
Chris
Old 22nd March 2013, 08:22 AM   #455
diyAudio Member

Most welcome!
Also, it gives you options to test from basic direct connection all the way to more elaborate setup and compare results. We also need to know if the faster F-Fs are any better.
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:37 AM   #456
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post

At least initially I will be using iancanada's Si570 @98MHz for RCLK, because I have no other clocks fast enough at hand (seems a bit ridiculous but hey we're all having fun!)

Realised that many others may not have any clock modules to play with (for RCK). Whilst you can tap into DAC XO to share if there exist one but will not cover all options as indicated in the App Notes.
Could take a bit of effort to build one on your own from scratch especially smd ones that require pcb to start with. I am not sure if anyone else has done something like this (apart from Ian) that so I will roll out a simple Clock board to make it easier.
You can then assemble it with XO and components of choice. XO will have 5X7mm footprint and there are several options from Crystek, Fox, MEC, Epson etc, and you can go all the way up to 500MHz for the SO2 board. More details will be provided later.

Hope this helps

Last edited by acko; 22nd March 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:02 AM   #457
diyAudio Member

Acko, I think most people's DAC XO is not going to be fast enough either. Also most DAC XO's are probably not going to drive a (relatively) long connection very well.

I was thinking about something similar to what you've suggested, probably with Demian's low power series regulator and an XO and maybe an optional buffer IC, could be quite a compact but high performance package there I'd expect.

Though for simplicity I may just use one of Ian's XO adapter PCBs that I have spare along with a separate reg. I've certainly got options but none of them are as plug and play as Ian's Si570 (though I still need to assemble a tps7a regulator to power my si570 yet).

There is a few options already but they require a bit extra DIY effort and your solution would certainly be the most convenient. The same board could also be used for people with AKD23P or AKD16 to compare async mclk to sync for the ES9023 and ES9016 regardless of if they are using the reclocker
Old 22nd March 2013, 02:18 PM   #458
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Thanks Acko - such a clock board would be most welcome! I had the same thought Chris did while mulling it in the shower yesterday (sorry - too much info :-); to use one of my si570's for now. Overkill for your 9023 board, but it'll get me going.

So I put together an SO2 (fully built), grabbed the si570 and wired it up to a BIIISE for testing. For the most part, it seems to be working in async, sync and psync modes. Certain frequencies seem to struggle to find the 'edge' of the signal, but when they did they'd lock. I suspect it's the inverted MCLK that the si570 is configured for by default. Could that be causing this when used as RCLK?
Old 22nd March 2013, 03:28 PM   #459
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRogers View Post
Thanks Acko - such a clock board would be most welcome! I had the same thought Chris did while mulling it in the shower yesterday (sorry - too much info :-); to use one of my si570's for now. Overkill for your 9023 board, but it'll get me going.

So I put together an SO2 (fully built), grabbed the si570 and wired it up to a BIIISE for testing. For the most part, it seems to be working in async, sync and psync modes. Certain frequencies seem to struggle to find the 'edge' of the signal, but when they did they'd lock. I suspect it's the inverted MCLK that the si570 is configured for by default. Could that be causing this when used as RCLK?
I could be wrong but I cannot see Si570 inverted MCLK being an issue in anything other than PSYNC, even then, it is questionable if MCLK relative to the other signals is important. If you are using MCLK as the input MCLK to a BIII SE then an inverted MCLK is more likely to be an improvement given ESS's previous advise on these matters.

Chris
Old 22nd March 2013, 04:06 PM   #460
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Well that does make sense Chris. Any other thoughts? I'm using new U.FL's that are fairly short.

Hide this!Advertise here!