High quality PCB board for amplifier power supply - group buy - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2013, 10:05 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
How many amps is it rated for?

You mean diodes current rating, correct? With these diodes I have 8A.

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/BYW29E-200.pdf
Old 20th April 2013, 11:47 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernet View Post
You mean diodes current rating, correct? With these diodes I have 8A.

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/BYW29E-200.pdf
No, I mean the board itself. What's the maximum current that the traces on the board can handle before there is significant heating or damage of the board? Or, to put it another way, what's the equivalent wire gauge for the board traces? I would want at least 14 gauge (U.S. size, which is about 2mm^2 metric cross sectional area). 14 gauge in America can handle up to 15 amps without damaging the insulation.
Old 20th April 2013, 02:24 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
What's the maximum current that the traces on the board can handle before there is significant heating or damage of the board?

The traces are wide 6 mm and thick 105um, that means surface area is around 0.63 mm2. Since traces are short, they can conduct 8A continuous without any problems. 8A is also a max. current most TO-220 diodes can handle. But since most amplifier operate on music and not continuous (sine) signals, pcb traces can handle much more transient current through then.
Old 23rd April 2013, 05:02 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Using PCB trace calculator, I get final data: 10A continous!!! each rail (6.24mm wide, 105um thick), for ambient T of 25C and Trise of 10C. That mean almost 20A both rails together.

This is more than enough for most diy amplifiers around...
Old 23rd April 2013, 05:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernet View Post
Using PCB trace calculator, I get final data: 10A continous!!! each rail (6.24mm wide, 105um thick), for ambient T of 25C and Trise of 10C. That mean almost 20A both rails together.

This is more than enough for most diy amplifiers around...
OK, that's great. How much are they and how much is shipping to America (zip code 22407)?
Old 23rd April 2013, 05:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

pm sent
Old 27th April 2013, 10:20 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Added few links to the front page...
Old 6th May 2013, 11:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

PCBs and diodes still available...
Old 7th May 2013, 12:06 AM   #19
Art M is offline Art M  United States
diyAudio Member

With no heat sink , is it true that the diode might handle approximately 3A continuous
at a junction temperature of 150 Deg C ?

Reaching 8A is not possible under any reasonable heat sink configuration ?
Old 7th May 2013, 10:51 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M View Post
With no heat sink , is it true that the diode might handle approximately 3A continuous at a junction temperature of 150 Deg C ?

Reaching 8A is not possible under any reasonable heat sink configuration ?

This pcb was optimized for small class A or medium to high power class AB amplifiers. The arrangement of using 4 diodes per rail, halved the current flowing through each diode, but adding a small voltage loss on two additional diodes.

I use each this pcb psu for powering 100W/8, 200W/4 mono amplifier. At high listening levels (+-50V DC supply, Troom=20C), diodes get barely warm.

I designed this pcb for AB amplifier project, with minimum foot print possible. I think in 95% of diyers heatsink will not be needed. Those who might want run this diodes on higher currents, will probably also needed large power supply capacitors (>30mm dia) which will not fit on the boards.

Hide this!Advertise here!