ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest
As previously announced by Jean-Paul "Moderator Emeritus", the condition to make it happens is to reach 150 PCB units.
Today, we have 51 wishes without a dedicated thread !
Those who have built previous V2.6 can tell how good this DAC sounds :cool: :cool: :cool:
Menu : What's the offer of this GB ?
- DAC PCB / Sabre ES9023 chip / PSU PCB
- Build Guide for DAC & PSU
- An Official BOM for DAC & PSU
- Parts GB according to the Official BOM
Recipe : what's in there ?
- LM723 PSU : the "old chip" is still a very good performer, used as pre-regulator (5V/250mA).
- MIC 5205 : 4 very low noise LDO on DAC board dedicated to each DAC section (Oscillator - Digital - Analog 1 & 2)
- ES9023 DAC : an excellent performer !
- WM8804 : considered to be a very good receiver when SPDIF is required.
- Selected 50MHz Oscillator for ES9023 & 12Mhz for WM8804.
- Improved design as it's V3... due to Jean-Paul & Subbu hard work on the test bench.
Pick your Flavour : Versions
- SPDIF SE : 1 DAC PCB + 1 ES9023 + 1 PSU PCB + 1 WM8804 (if you want SPDIF)
- I2S SE : 1 DAC PCB + 1 ES9023 + 1 PSU PCB (informations to come)
- Balanced : 1 "Mother" SE version (SPDIF or I2S) + 1 "Piggy Back" PCB + 2 ES9023 + 1 PSU PCB
Inputs : What to eat ?
- SPDIF : BNC or RCA (75 Ohms - Wolfson WM8804 Receiver - Coaxial/RCA no Toslink embedded)
- I2S : U.FL connectors pads - External I2S source providing I2S clocking (No WM8804 installed)
The Bill : How much ? (VAT included)
- SE Kit : $44 (34€) WM8804 included - BAL Kit : $29 (23€) - PSU Kit : $21 (16€)
- Those prices are from the previous V2.6 EU Parts GB, price cutdown expected. (to be actualized)
PCB : For those who size does matter...
- ES9023 : 8.1 x 5.1 cm (to be revisited) - PSU : 9.4 x 5.1 cm (to be revisited)
ES9023 DAC V2.6 Thread : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...group-buy.html
ES9023 PSU Thread : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...group-buy.html
"Magic Spreadsheet" Link : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...yd0NadlE#gid=0
1° - How long did it take to reach the magic figure of 150 units ? Answer is 8 days !
2° - How long did it take to cross 200 units ? Answer is 12 days !!
3° - October 25th : 395 units ;)
4° - Guess what ??? We push the limits, GB is still opened !!!
5° - We have reached 560 PCB units & GB is still alive ;)
6° - PCB on the way for Beta testers (Updated status) :) :) :)
7° - Beta testers working, soldering, testing, etc... ;)
8° - NEWS : SPDIF V3 SE + PSU V5.2 are Finalized (06-14-2013 :cool:
9° - I2S V3 & BAL are awaited (more to come)
SPDIF V3 SE + PSU V5.2 -> Group Buy End : 07-20-2013 (PCB & ES9023 Chips only)
Register here "Magic Order Form" : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-p4...viewform?pli=1
Pics of previous V2.6 DAC & V5 PSU
no option to get 8804 in the spread sheet.
it will help if you could give approximate/tentative pricing based on the previous gb.
Quality of the new boards will be even higher than the current version. Price will be higher too but can not be determined yet. If you want a real bargain you will have to look at mediocre Ebay DACs where pice is more important than quality. When the total cost will be 10 % of a 2000 Euro DAC and it sounds better then cost should be no problem. There is no other ES9023 DAC with all the bells and whistles we added for the price we ask. In fact ours is way too cheap while it ranks among the better ones.
We like a good price/quality ratio too but when we do a final run it should be an excellent final run. Otherwise no final run, let that be clear.
Hi doors666, thank you for your input.
WM8804 is viewed as "easy to get" and would be included in Parts GB.
Different story about ESS9023 DAC chip.
Prices from previous Parts GB added in the first post (VAT included).
Feel free to ask questions and/or suggestions about this project.
have one question as I don't understand astimated prices
SE version : $44 (34€)
BAL Version : $29 (23€)
PSU : $21 (16€)
Is BAL version astimated price for one or two channels ?
as I nead 6 channels, balanced...I should calculate at about ;
6 x 23€ (BAL Version) + 3 x 16€ (PSU) = at around 186€ for 6 balanced channels ?
Hi yoke, thank you for your questions.
Consider we need : PCB / ESS9023 / Parts
SE full set : PCB (1 DAC + 1 PSU) / 1 ESS9023 / Parts Kit (1 SE + 1 PSU)
BAL full set : PCB (2 DAC + 1 PSU) / 2 ESS9023 / Parts Kit (1 SE + 1 BAL + 1 PSU)
The PSU module gives 5V/250mA and fed a BAL version.
SE Kit price include WM8804 SPIF chip
Consider those prices as Maxi, 15% drop down if we reach min 50 units of each
I just see and the old tread... so I will put my self for 3 x BAL full set (six channels)
You're welcome yoke, feel free to ask and suggest ;)
Sorry yoke, but from what I've understood, you only need 1 BAL version.
Maybe someone could post some good advices about how to add a pot at the output of a Balanced DAC V3...
Hi, new PCB is clearly an improved version of the 2.6, not a total redesign if any of you would expect that. We are busy with it and some things have been changed already like polarity of C32, C8 closer to XO, possibility for using a film cap for C1 etc. It will take time and things might change as I am the king of organized chaos. What you can expect is a better sounding version.
Other caps can be used too. Stay tuned.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45 PM.|
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio