• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking on this kit but I won't be able to solder all these SMT parts. I've already done it with resistors and condos (Nazar modded PSU), it's ok but the U1 and U2 are beyond my skills (thanks google trad).

1) Is it possible to receive the SE kit with these two parts already soldered?

2) I'll have two SPDIF inputs (CD + BR drives) and one I2S input (WaveIO | Luckit) and I don't know how will I switch between all that, if anyone can help me?

I think I will wait for a next update version if you are planning one because I have to finish my DIY integrated power amplifier before. Sabre DIY DAC will come after :D
Thanks

2) I'll have two SPDIF inputs (CD + BR drives) and one I2S input (WaveIO | Luckit) and I don't know how will I switch between all that, if anyone can help me?

I was looking at this unit previously:
Multi-input/converter for DAC(USB+optic+SPDIF+XLR) | eBay

I asked the seller if it could take I2S input and output I2S too, and was told that it will output I2S, but the seller didn't answer about I2S as an input and it wasn't obvious from the photos. I haven't bought one, but it may solve at least one of your issues (plus one less SMT chip to solder) and otherwise I suspect this could be useful to others watching this thread.

Hopefully someone more experienced might confirm if this might be able to accept an I2S input.

I wonder why though, when there are so many viable options?

You're 110% right but it makes it just much easier for everyone to not have to search for a solution and having to use two or more project to make things work the way I want.

On my side, I have the Arduino which is really nice but I don't write code, at least not for the past 20 years. And I don't know which pin on the Atmega will trigger a +5V (on the Buffalo code for example) to select my inputs which I could use with a simple relay driver or other stuff.

Also the other solution is the TPA 4:1 mux receiver but @ 150$ it is way overpriced...

Do you know of a couple good solutions I/we could use? It would be appreciated.

Thanks
Do

But, unless I'm missing something, seems that none of the suggested solutions provide I2S as one of the inputs like Maundrez and probably others require.

There is the potential to combine any of the above solutions with something like a TPA OTTO, but that is yet another module on top. I'm interested if there is anything that switches between spdif and I2S inputs too, or like to know how people do this at the moment.

Hi,
I am thinking about building a small daughter board that will site on top of the current 3x2 pins and use something like a TSL100DRG4 to switch between the I2S coming in from the WM8804 and another I2S source coming in from the Amanero. (the 3 51R resistor will be removed).

But, unless I'm missing something, seems that none of the suggested solutions provide I2S as one of the inputs like Maundrez and probably others require.

There is the potential to combine any of the above solutions with something like a TPA OTTO, but that is yet another module on top. I'm interested if there is anything that switches between spdif and I2S inputs too, or like to know how people do this at the moment.

Sorry to be repetitive, but this has worked well with the spdif/I2S selection. Note that I'm using a computer with both outputs as source and still requires switching drivers in the Windows 7 sound portion of the control panel.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Hi Odysseas,

This one is a reclocking receiver module which I don't want to use. I want unaltered signal and it is also missing the I2S input. Also, as far as digital input switch goes, I don't trust the eBay stuff. We can't know the quality of the parts, the layout, etc...

The Arduino stuff could be the way to go but I don't know how much of the BII code that was already created we can salvage for the 9023... And I don't know which pins are being triggered when an input is selected from the Arduino BII menu... Anyone can help?

Maybe we could have someone write some code or modify it for this project?

Thanks
Do

I would say almost none of the code for 9018 will work for 9023.

my suggestion for an spdif MUX? add something over what TP charge for the MUX and you get the entire i2s fifo buffer plus spdif board that has BNC, optical and TTL level inputs up to 216kHz (easy enough to lash up an AES3 input onto the TTL) as well as an I2s backdoor. as a bonus you also get reclocked optical, AES and BNC output and a superb basis for playing with different clocks and clocking methods (Async or synchronous). also has native u.fl and pretty easy automation

I would say almost none of the code for 9018 will work for 9023.

my suggestion for an spdif MUX? add something over what TP charge for the MUX and you get the entire i2s fifo buffer plus spdif board that has BNC, optical and TTL level inputs up to 216kHz (easy enough to lash up an AES3 input onto the TTL) as well as an I2s backdoor. as a bonus you also get reclocked optical, AES and BNC output and a superb basis for playing with different clocks and clocking methods (Async or synchronous). also has native u.fl and pretty easy automation

I just tought of Ian's S/PDIF Interface Board... Would that work without needing anything else?

What is that something to add over the TP stuff you're talking about? Pardon me my ignorance... Are you talking to add a little more money than TP charges and get a better module? If yes, which one is it?

Thanks
Do

I mean add some money above what TP charge for just the MUX and get the entire i2s fifo + spdif board. I believe you can, however I think you would want to supply an MCLK, actually you may be able to use the clock from this dac to clock the spdif.

its a bit uncharted territory, even though it can be done because everyone who buys it gets the fifo too, Ian will have used it by itself and its listed as an option in the manual, its the best spdif input board i've seen and its stupid cheap too, but IMO if you dont need video getting the fifo is a nobrainer

Hi All

Sorry for my late reply, I've been very busy till now ;)
We are waiting for some informations from Jean-Paul & Subbu (The cooks twins).
"Subbu's DAC V3" is an improved design based on what we've heard with the excellent V2.6.

Considering that V3 is a "work in progress" project, rondadon is right, the GB is still alive and opened !
BTW I've updated the first post.

There's no more order limits, min 150 units has been crossed during September...
Thanks to all DIYAudio members

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.