ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest - Page 66 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2013, 06:07 PM   #651
kumori is offline kumori  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxonline View Post
Plus I am getting JG Filter buffer, has anyone tried it with 9023 and directly into amp via pot or something similar, bypassing passive or active amp all together..?
I asked myself the same thing. I assume the 9023 can drive a 20k to 100k pot, so it would probably make sense to put the JG-buffer behind the pot. It will present a low impedance source to the poweramp then.
Old 8th April 2013, 06:38 PM   #652
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

AFAIK the buffer has been calculated considering the low o/p impedance of the DAC (240ohm) and the influence of the lo pass filter created by the 4.7nF cap suggested in the application note. Are U sure that putting a pot in between you will keep the same conditions?
Old 8th April 2013, 07:08 PM   #653
diyAudio Member

Oh, I was not aware of that. Than it shall not be done.

But thanks, good to know.
Old 8th April 2013, 10:41 PM   #654
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Added myself to the list.
Thanks guy for putting this together.
Just the project I needed, whenever it's ready...
Old 9th April 2013, 10:53 AM   #655
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

I will be putting one of these in my pre that is still in the design stage. It will have some kind of buffer, JFet ala B1, or maybe with a little gain like a JISBOS. Will be using lightspeed type of attenuator for volume control.
Old 9th April 2013, 05:36 PM   #656
diyAudio Member

I am really interested in the setups all you are going to bild with it.
Especially the device between the source and the Subbu v3 DAC would be interesting.

I am looking to build USB DAC with a WaveIO XMOS Based USB->SPDIF/IS and this Subbu DAC v3... I think this will be a really good setup!

Greetings from Germany!
Ron
Old 10th April 2013, 03:19 AM   #657
grufti is offline grufti  United States
wombat
diyAudio Member

My personal favorite USB->I2S is the Amanero. No SPDIF in that case, but the thing is tiny, cheap via the ongoing repeat group buys, functional, and well supported. I've used it with V2.6 with good results.
Old 13th April 2013, 08:42 PM   #658
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumori View Post
I asked myself the same thing. I assume the 9023 can drive a 20k to 100k pot, so it would probably make sense to put the JG-buffer behind the pot. It will present a low impedance source to the poweramp then.
It wouldn't be that hard to do. Here's what I suggest. I've attached a schematic for the JG filter. In the schematic, you see R1 = 18.9K in the latest version. One could use a 20K volume control and put a 340K resistor in parallel with the pot, which gives ~18.9K resistance. Then hook up R2 to the wiper of the volume control and you have now integrated a volume control into the filter/buffer.
---Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JG_Filter_ES9023.JPG (50.5 KB, 570 views)
Old 13th April 2013, 10:11 PM   #659
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
It wouldn't be that hard to do. Here's what I suggest. I've attached a schematic for the JG filter. In the schematic, you see R1 = 18.9K in the latest version. One could use a 20K volume control and put a 340K resistor in parallel with the pot, which gives ~18.9K resistance. Then hook up R2 to the wiper of the volume control and you have now integrated a volume control into the filter/buffer.
---Gary
Im not sure that is that easy. At the time I wrote about the pot before the buffer, I thought "buffer" = "high input impedance/low output impedance" without looking at the schematic. But here the LC input filter seems indeed to be tailored for a specific application.
Replacing R1 with a pot+parallel R, will change the shunt R/series R in the schematic a lot, depending on the pot position.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:06 PM   #660
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumori View Post
Replacing R1 with a pot+parallel R, will change the shunt R/series R in the schematic a lot, depending on the pot position.
I think it actually does work. The suggestion I made loads the pot with the high impedance node of the buffer part of the circuit, so the filter works just fine. The pot becomes the load for the L-R filter and it's value doesn't change because the impedance of the buffer is high. Putting the volume pot on the other side of the inductor, i.e. between the DAC and filter/buffer board would not work.

---Gary

Hide this!Advertise here!