ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2012, 06:00 PM   #381
diyAudio Member

I've put myself down for the group buy, I hope that's ok, as this is my first post over here, although I have been reading these forums for a little while, and I'm an active head-fier. Anyway, I really like the look of the project and am looking forward to trying it even though I havn't done any SMD for a very very long time (I can barely even remember), I'm fairly confident that if I take my time it won't be an issue, the packages don't seem to be the hardest ones to solder anyway. I'm certainly impressed by the uptake this project has and look forward to having a piece of it.

Chhers,
Chris
Old 13th November 2012, 06:22 PM   #382
diyAudio Member

With a decent size tip, a good quality soldering iron and some 63/37 or 60/40 solder you won't even need to use flux.

The flux contained in a good quality 63/37 or 60/40 solder is more than you need for perfect results every time and it makes cleaning the board afterwards a lot easier.

Stay away from the crap that is leadfree solder and everything gets a lot easier.
Old 13th November 2012, 06:36 PM   #383
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrality View Post
With a decent size tip, a good quality soldering iron and some 63/37 or 60/40 solder you won't even need to use flux.

The flux contained in a good quality 63/37 or 60/40 solder is more than you need for perfect results every time and it makes cleaning the board afterwards a lot easier.

Stay away from the crap that is leadfree solder and everything gets a lot easier.
hmm I use good leaded solder (cardas quad or kester) and have decent technique, its not 100% necessary, but I use flux just because its more reliable to get smooth shiny joints, particularly if drag soldering, you should scrub and clean the board well regardless.

We are not making recommendations to experienced SMD solderers here, so I think flux is definitely recommended and its recommended by all the pros as well.

best not add another point of indecision, we are trying to make this as simple as possible. as a bonus it also helps when positioning the chip before tacking a couple of pins down because its quite viscous
Old 13th November 2012, 06:38 PM   #384
diyAudio Member

i want to buy this , Please let me know how...also is there a sodlered version available..thought to ask?
Old 13th November 2012, 07:23 PM   #385
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
I had already problem with lead free solder. Had to desolder capacitor from pcb (my first and the only build) and ..uh.. never again It was nightmare.
Old 13th November 2012, 08:02 PM   #386
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know if there has already been a direct link to this video, and my apologies if it's redundant. I haven't found anything better.

Surface Mount Soldering 101
Old 13th November 2012, 09:11 PM   #387
6speed is offline 6speed  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess to add to the YouTube instructional mania here is my favorite one, it's by an IPC certified trainer, he demonstrates a number of methods and shows ideal joints and all of them are quite amazing --> SMT Hand Soldering Techniques
Old 14th November 2012, 10:17 AM   #388
mickie is offline mickie  Germany
diyAudio Member

OK...so how is the status of the project by now, does anyone know some (new) details of the redesigned pcb...?
Old 14th November 2012, 10:43 AM   #389
Nikitas is offline Nikitas  Greece
diyAudio Member

mickie mickie........we don't ask that kind of questions........you'll make gmant sad......
Old 14th November 2012, 01:02 PM   #390
mickie is offline mickie  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseas View Post
mickie mickie........we don't ask that kind of questions......
...yes we do

Hide this!Advertise here!