ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2012, 10:11 PM   #371
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
I think this one is quite nice tutorial EEVblog #186 - Soldering Tutorial Part 3 - Surface Mount - YouTube.
I bought antex xs25 iron, so can buy tip required (hope this one is fine to use). It did good job with my b1 assembly. Soon has to come LDR Note from Uriah and salas psu.
It is addiction.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:18 PM   #372
Nikitas is offline Nikitas  Greece
diyAudio Member

Yes it is!
And trust eev!The guy knows what he's doing!
Old 12th November 2012, 10:28 PM   #373
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The real challenge is ,I think is the WM8804.
The other components I should manage i think..
Old 12th November 2012, 10:30 PM   #374
supra is offline supra  Australia
diyAudio Member

Taken myself off list, I don't want to solder smd, too high a risk of stuffing it up.
And no I don't want to learn how to do it, my eyes and hands are too old for such dexterity.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:37 PM   #375
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra View Post
Taken myself off list, I don't want to solder smd, too high a risk of stuffing it up.
And no I don't want to learn how to do it, my eyes and hands are too old for such dexterity.
I could solder it up for you if you want?
Old 13th November 2012, 12:51 AM   #376
diyAudio Member

Soldering SMD parts isnt such a PITA as you all think. Before my first try to solder SMD parts I was like "Noooohoooooo way I am goin to solder this onto that" , and after some tries I was like "Wohooooooo, Thats easier than I thought". (I had some sodering skills before mainly soldering for my Robots. But no SMD Parts were involved then) And that were some Ram Chips which I soldered to my old Xbox to ramp the 64MB Ram to 128MB Ram up!
And that is quiet hardcore I think regarding smds.

THe best results you will get with good preperations and with good tools.

So I would recommend to use flux on the Pads so that the Soldering iron will stick better to the pads and will be easier to cope with regarding those little pins on the chip.
And a good Soldering-Station with temperature control is essential for good soldering results.
Especially for SMD a really thin and clean soldering tip is required to be able to solder it. With thick soldering tips you have no chance.
Old 13th November 2012, 01:38 AM   #377
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondadon View Post
Soldering SMD parts isnt such a PITA as you all think. Before my first try to solder SMD parts I was like "Noooohoooooo way I am goin to solder this onto that" , and after some tries I was like "Wohooooooo, Thats easier than I thought". (I had some sodering skills before mainly soldering for my Robots. But no SMD Parts were involved then) And that were some Ram Chips which I soldered to my old Xbox to ramp the 64MB Ram to 128MB Ram up!
And that is quiet hardcore I think regarding smds.

THe best results you will get with good preperations and with good tools.

So I would recommend to use flux on the Pads so that the Soldering iron will stick better to the pads and will be easier to cope with regarding those little pins on the chip.
And a good Soldering-Station with temperature control is essential for good soldering results.
Especially for SMD a really thin and clean soldering tip is required to be able to solder it. With thick soldering tips you have no chance.
I agree in general with what you've said. Though I would like to suggest that a larger tip is very handy for SMT work when there are large amounts of copper in power/ground planes. I do most of my SMT work with a 2.4mm chisel tip like this - https://www.hakko.com/english/tip_selection/type_d.html

A larger tip allows a larger thermal mass in the tip and less temperature drop when soldering to another large thermal mass. This means that you can make the solder flow quicker and spend less time heating up the component.

There is one issue that as you get older your hands may not be steady enough and your eyesight may not be good enough to continue to work on these things. In that case I can see where there is a very legitimate concern about being able to successfully work on SMT assembly.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 13th November 2012, 08:05 AM   #378
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

a larger tip is recommended even without ground plane sucking the heat, as ive said before around here, its counter intuitive, but a 2-3mm chisel is perfect for doing fine pitch work. yes most people seem to get all scared about SMD, when its easier.

plenty of flux, good desoldering braid and you can with practice just drag a bead of solder down an entire side of a part, then just neaten it up with the tip of the braid. its really not as hard as people convince themselves it will be

Quote:
There is one issue that as you get older your hands may not be steady enough and your eyesight may not be good enough to continue to work on these things. In that case I can see where there is a very legitimate concern about being able to successfully work on SMT assembly.
^^ this is the only legit reason for not persuing SMD, otherwise you may as well give up DIY now, it wont be long before you cant make anything at all
Old 13th November 2012, 03:05 PM   #379
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

I'm sure age will get the better of me eventually, but at 55 - and with the help of the right tools + a good lighted 5x magnifying lens; it's more than doable. Just takes practice and technique (mine is similar to all those mentioned above - though I prefer not to drag solder). Count me in with those that prefer SMD. I find it fairly easy now, and really like the electrical/package benefits.
Old 13th November 2012, 05:48 PM   #380
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

exactly, become a cyborg, magnifiers are excellent, handy for all sorts. for those who dont know what I mean by drag soldering, I mean this

Hide this!Advertise here!