• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I have build one Subbu DAC 2.6 and is a very good DAC , I have enlisted again with 1 piece of SE DAC.
To all that are in doubt : join and build this DAC as it will beat a lot ( if not the majority ) of DAC in the 1000....2000 euro price class that are on sale right now on Audiophiles magazines.
Do not believe me : just buy , build and listen to this sparkling GEM !

Hi everyone,
sorry for the following questions, they may appear noob:
- i have a squeezebox touch and would like to give it a DAC, the best possible for less than 100€, given this only the DIY world can bring me a solution.
I read some people above saying that this DAC is equivalent to 1000-2000€ commercial DACs, is it really the case.
- i do not know/understand the differences between SE & Balanced, what should i have to select?
- S/PDIF = COAXIAL right? because the SB Touch can output the signal via RCA, COAXIAL, TOSHLINK or even USB
- i'm also looking at a good linear PSU for the Touch, would this one be compatible? i saw that this PSU provides 5V250mA but the Touch needs 5V1A, will this work?

thank you in advance for your feedbacks and sorry again for my questions

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I read some people above saying that this DAC is equivalent to 1000-2000€ commercial DACs, is it really the case ?

No that is not the case. It sounds better than some 1000-2000 Euro DACs.

i'm also looking at a good linear PSU for the Touch, would this one be compatible? i saw that this PSU provides 5V 250mA but the Touch needs 5V 1A, will this work?

No.

BTW SPDIF = coaxial

thank you Jean-Paul,
and regarding the third point: i do not know/understand the differences between SE & Balanced, what should i have to select?

SE = your amplifier must have the single ended input provided by RCA input line socket
BAL = your amplifier must have differential line input with XLR connectors , hence the balanced input require .
So it is up to you what you must use : just look at your power amplifier .

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You could measure the exact power consumption of the SB and if it is way lower you maybe could use the power supply with a heatsink on the pass transistor. It would not be the first time a 1 A supply is used while the device actually takes 200 mA.

SB will sound better with a linear power supply.

Hi, new PCB is clearly an improved version of the 2.6, not a total redesign if any of you would expect that. We are busy with it and some things have been changed already like polarity of C32, C8 closer to XO, possibility for using a film cap for C1 etc. It will take time and things might change as I am the king of organized chaos. What you can expect is a better sounding version.

Other caps can be used too. Stay tuned.

Jean Paul how would you define Improovement over 2.6 - subjective - with blind test or you have measurments
I am not sure how positioning of few caps can go to clear improovement

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Just listen to your rev. 2.6 to see how placement of caps and short tracks influence the total result. Still busy with layout of 3.0 so can not comment as it does not exist yet and thus it has not been tested. We design it and make a small test run, test it, compare it with rev. 2.6 and then it will be presented.

Just wait, we do the work. If you have some ideas you can speak them out now.

Last edited:
As many people seem to like to experiment with the output-caps, i suggest to put some additional ground-connections to the board so that different types of film-caps can be installed - like the boxed polystyrenes (7,5mm pitch) or caps that require 10mm pitch.
Yes, of course i know that smd or very small caps are most wanted.....so smd pads could also be useful.

mickie

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi this will be difficult because of other changes but we'll see (meaning I will try). I won't use pads for SMD output caps as through hole film caps are the most used (in al its variants).

Which boxed KS with 7.5 mm pitch are you referring to ? Send me a few and they'll be on the board ;)

Last edited:
...i'm referring to the orange ones made by Siemens / EMZ, or Philips KS (yellow) - hard to find. Still in production are RELCAP RTE (expensive). About the pitch...ok, its rather 7mm, they seem to vary a bit.
Well i can send you a few; won't be very useful though as they don't have the value we need....

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Boxes full of those Siemens/EMZ/Philips KS here but not in 4.7 nF. I think it is not wise to use a cap that is rare and also hard to find. Send me 2 x 4.7 nF Relcap RTE and check availability and they'll be on the board. KS is the best in film caps. I already used ERO KS on the DAC but those are also impossible to find.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.