• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
JP, I think if you don't have a "Certified Counselor" plaque on your wall, you will deserve one by the time this GB is complete. ;) I have a few non audio incrosyncities you may be able to cure when you have some free time :D :D

A guy needs a hobby besides audio, please let me ;)

No fence sitting here. I am going to get a couple of these and some of the I2S version if/when they become available. These are going to be great!!

Mmm, I see the "other version" causes confusion. I2S ? USB ? Firewire ? U.FL ?

That is good. Confusion makes life interesting, at least for me. That is, when I am causing it.

Last edited:
Be it I2S or SPDIF, where there is a will, there is a way ;) and I hope JP doesn't mean by "the others" the evil people on the other side of the island ^^Lost.

Anyway, I've been on the GB since November, patiently waiting, and all I can say is that after all this is over, the v3 guys definitely deserve a big cake.

JP, currently I am in Germany, but I can't really bake cakes... would you settle for a nice bottle of vine though? :D

Martin

Man... my intention was to combine the XMOS based USB-to-I²S/SPdif converter WaveIO with the Subbu DAC. Now the SPDIF on the WaveIO will be ditched and on the other hand the I2S on the Subbu Dac v3. Hmmm.

Thought this could be the best bang for my buck but now the head-scratching goes on! :D
DO you know a good USB to SPDIF converter which would work with the Subbu DAC and works with Linux out of the Box?!

Thank you in advance!

Greetings from Hamburg!

"better" as always, begs some definition. I have both optical and copper via a toggle switch on the Mini. My impression is the copper is warmer and a bit more full. The Toslink seems brighter and more open. I'd put both in the excellent category and note that associated equipment, including speakers, all combine to make the music. I would not be surprised at all if using the Subbu DAC might dictate some changes in other parts of one's sytem. Can't wait to find out. :D:D

:D
DO you know a good USB to SPDIF converter which would work with the Subbu DAC and works with Linux out of the Box?!

I use this with linux with no problems. I use SPDIF DAC's but have not tried the Subbu DAC yet.

Teralink X2 - 2012 Version Native 24bit/96k USB Converter

Here are some threads here about it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/165129-teralink-x2.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/178801-teralink-x2-clock-mod-tentlabs-xo.html

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Evaluation of the prototypes completed. Final Version announcement

Hello All -

Thanks for waiting patiently so long. Its time to finally announce the final version of the Subbu DAC V3 SPDIF and the 5V Power Supply to go with it. Attached are the silkscreen images for both of them.

A little change in the way the group buy is run this time. I spent lot of time in getting the address from the paypal and emailing members in case paypal did not have the address, we have decided to use the Google Forms instead of the Google Spreadsheet. This way when the members fill in the form I have all the information I need.

I have decided to start a new thread called "Subbu DAC V3 - ES9023/WM8804 SPDIF & Power Supply PCB" Group Buy. This will keep the thread clean and all GB related items can be discussed there. I will ask korben to add a link to the GB thread.

Here is the link to the GB:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...-wm8804-spdif-power-supply-pcb-group-buy.html

Cheers!
Subbu

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.38.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.38.17 AM.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 963
  • Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.35.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-13 at 11.35.57 AM.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 951
Hello All -

Thanks for waiting patiently so long. Its time to finally announce the final version of the Subbu DAC V3 SPDIF and the 5V Power Supply to go with it. Attached are the silkscreen images for both of them.

A little change in the way the group buy is run this time. I spent lot of time in getting the address from the paypal and emailing members in case paypal did not have the address, we have decided to use the Google Forms instead of the Google Spreadsheet. This way when the members fill in the form I have all the information I need.

I have decided to start a new thread called "Subbu DAC V3 - ES9023/WM8804 SPDIF & Power Supply PCB" Group Buy. This will keep the thread clean and all GB related items can be discussed there. I will ask korben to add a link to the GB thread.

Here is the link to the GB:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...-wm8804-spdif-power-supply-pcb-group-buy.html

Cheers!
Subbu

I added my name to the magic-spreadsheet a few months ago.
Do I need to fill in the new google form?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Only buyers of PCBs will receive schematics. BOM will be published soon and AFAIK know it is open for everybody. After months I could listen for a whole evening to various DACs and there was time for AB-ing, I enjoyed it a lot. Lots of bass and refined highs from the Subbu V2.6 and V3 DACs. Imaging is OK, depth is more than good. I can not describe what they sound like but overall they're quite good and tonight they again beat older bitstream/1 bit/SD DACs/DAC chips easily.

Too bad there wasn't a TDA1541A DAC around. I also compared Subbu DACs in various versions with various Fluency DACs. Not sure which is better. They're different that is clear. Will have to repeat the test as they're close but not on the same features.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.