• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Some answers to last questions :

@Atupi : LM723 PSU has been especially designed by Jean-Paul for this project.
He had done several prototypes leading to this version, considered as "Good Enough"
Have a look there for some regs perfs : New Breed of Ultra Low Noise Regulators H i F i D U I N O
Read the article, I haven't seen 7805 mentioned ;)

@Corsair88 : Yes GB is still active, no deadline by now. Welcome !

@ scoutOne : Welcome ! This guy drives me to DIYAudio world some years ago...
Don't know if you remember me scoutOne, we've talked about balanced inputs, leading me to build an UGS All inclusive.
Thanks to Flat/Maousse and all others HCFR Diyers involved.

GB is still alive :)

Regards

Phil

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
V3 news within a week (I hope).....keep your fingers crossed....

Got my PSU boards form one of the diyaudio members. Seems I indeed was the last one to receive my own PCB ;) Now I need to find the time to build it. You know the problem.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
V3 News!

Just to spice up JPs post, here is a sample of what is going to be ordered this weekend for evaluation and testing. More news to follow.

Cheers!
Subbu

Attachments

• Subbu DAC v3.png
    Subbu DAC v3.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 436
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Subbu,

that looks really good:)

I like the optional soldering points for foil Cs and Elcaps and some will be happy to see U.FL headers;). BTW: did you try the synchronous operation of ES9023 and 8804 using FF to divide the MCLK? I think I'll try both and see if I can hear/measure any difference:eek:

Best regards, Daniel

Fantastic.:up:

Just a question still. Is the I2S direct connectivity still possible without too much wiring headache?
I am looking forward to be able to interface these with the mini-shark to build an 8 ways digital filter pre-amp.

Edit: oops, skipped Korben's post where it is mentioned U.FL for I2S. Forget the question then.

Thanks
-- Eric

Last edited:
Hi All

Subbu DAC V3 is coming mature, I'm glad to see the new improved design, Great !

GB is alive : same link to feed Magic Spreadsheet with you inputs Post#1, or there :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akhn9Qkz5rm9dDNBeUNGZE4zbm1oVGpwRUtyd0NadlE#gid=0
Informations about Prices/Shipping will be updated and published later.

I2S stream is using U.FL connectors, BTW I2S signal could be tapped directly there.
I2S Question : what about MCLK ? I suppose BCLK/LRCK/DATA as X4/5/6

74LVC1G04DBV seems to be missing... or did this pic show the SE version ?
I guess Subbu's Post#587 presents only populated SE version.
Nice to read from you Jean-Paul & Subbu about BAL version ;)

Have a nice day

Phil

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Phil. it is not Subbu's DAC. It is a DAC by Subbu and me and it is called "Subbu DAC" as that is a nice good sounding short name. The suggestion to call it Subbu DAC was done as it was called "WM8804 ES9023 SPDIF DAC" at first which is not the most attractive name ;) I did the layout for the V3 SE version (and the PSU). The very first version V1 was a design by Subbu and I tried to improve the design by cutting tracks and adding regs and parts. When the DAC died after too many wild experiments I asked for the files and went along together with Subbu to make it a very good DAC. We both do our own part in the design and all details are discussed and decisions are made in a quite harmonic way of working together. This while we never met in person. Just online DIY cooperation with good results (not only for us both but for all participants as well).

Subbu is the one adapting the design for BAL. We both have jobs etc so we struggle along and try to do a V3 in our free time. When a BAL version is ready (if there wil be one at all) Subbu will say so.

Last edited:
have you added a keepout under the ufl pad?

the resistor array is good idea, but its definitely the hardest part on the board to solder and i'm not sure its doing much good how its placed or was it a money saving thing? they are only JUST hand solderable with a normal iron and very easy to create a short circuit without being able to see it easily, do you really need it? have you got much experience soldering them yourself Subbu? for easy soldering they really need reflow or hot air IMO; itrs doable, but a pita with an iron and i've got quite a lot of SMD experience.

or are you guys getting it populated pick and place? I remember there was some talk of that.

Last edited:
have you added a keepout under the ufl pad?

the resistor array is good idea, but its definitely the hardest part on the board to solder and i'm not sure its doing much good how its placed or was it a money saving thing? they are only JUST hand solderable with a normal iron and very easy to create a short circuit without being able to see it easily...

Do you know what part is to be used? And what pitch are the pads?

It would appear from the layout the array should be no harder to solder than the WM8804.

Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.