• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should the v2.6 discussion be in the main ES9023 thread or the v2.6 GB thread.

Why are we discussing v2.6 build questions in the V3 GB interest thread ....
Seriously, if we continue to ask questions in random places, it will be just this much harder
for others to find related info.

In this post :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-100.html#post3264914

Jackal29a say:

Good news for those intending to use the Amanero with an ES9023 based DAC, this inexpensive chip plays both 352.8 and 384KHz even if the data sheet states max accepted sample rate is 192.
We have tested this on three identical DACs, two in sync mode running on the Combo384's XOs and one running in async mode with a local 50KHz XO. All 3 DACs played 384 fine and 2 played 352.8 fine, the third (using a different firmware/driver) had noise when playing this sample rate.
Given the scarcity of such material is not that relevant but may be interesting for testing purposes.

:)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Could someone help here...

How does the idee of a balanced Subbu DAC jive with the "Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT" ? Is this compatible / doable? Straight away or would it require some tweaking? I cant figure out how the signal splitting would be done. Cabling? More?

Appreciate any input!

/

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Could someone help here...

How does the idee of a balanced Subbu DAC jive with the "Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT" ? Is this compatible / doable? Straight away or would it require some tweaking? I cant figure out how the signal splitting would be done. Cabling? More?

Appreciate any input!

/

OK, there seem to be I2S inputs so it should actually jive. 2 way splitting is provided by the Ian "fluxcapacitor".

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The "secret" of this DAC is simplicity. There are many many DACs with fancy displays, blue LEDs, upsampling etc. IMO the lack of extra functionality only contributes to the positive results.

Call it analog thinking in a digital world ;) This is a minimalist design with focus on details that improve sound quality and I am proud that we designed it that way. Better do one thing good than 2 things half.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That is a different question. The answer is yes if you mean that you want to connect other sources to this DAC by means of I2S. There are various members that use USB to I2S converters (that cost a multiple the DAC costs) with good results. Use shielded cable if you want I2S and read up what other members experienced.

It is still a SPDIF DAC though with the possibility for I2S. The V2.6 performed best with SPDIF. The V3 will perform better than V2.6 regarding I2S if things turn out the way we want to it to be.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.