• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've put myself down for the group buy, I hope that's ok, as this is my first post over here, although I have been reading these forums for a little while, and I'm an active head-fier. Anyway, I really like the look of the project and am looking forward to trying it even though I havn't done any SMD for a very very long time (I can barely even remember), I'm fairly confident that if I take my time it won't be an issue, the packages don't seem to be the hardest ones to solder anyway. I'm certainly impressed by the uptake this project has and look forward to having a piece of it.

Chhers,
Chris

With a decent size tip, a good quality soldering iron and some 63/37 or 60/40 solder you won't even need to use flux.

The flux contained in a good quality 63/37 or 60/40 solder is more than you need for perfect results every time and it makes cleaning the board afterwards a lot easier.

Stay away from the crap that is leadfree solder and everything gets a lot easier.

With a decent size tip, a good quality soldering iron and some 63/37 or 60/40 solder you won't even need to use flux.

The flux contained in a good quality 63/37 or 60/40 solder is more than you need for perfect results every time and it makes cleaning the board afterwards a lot easier.

Stay away from the crap that is leadfree solder and everything gets a lot easier.

hmm I use good leaded solder (cardas quad or kester) and have decent technique, its not 100% necessary, but I use flux just because its more reliable to get smooth shiny joints, particularly if drag soldering, you should scrub and clean the board well regardless.

We are not making recommendations to experienced SMD solderers here, so I think flux is definitely recommended and its recommended by all the pros as well.

best not add another point of indecision, we are trying to make this as simple as possible. as a bonus it also helps when positioning the chip before tacking a couple of pins down because its quite viscous

mickie not long ago JP asked for some patience while his personal life takes a priority (as it should).

When there is more information ready to be shared the designers will share it.

This is DIY, if you aren't happy working to someone else's timeline when you're relying on their design and production of PCBs (in this case including prototyping and testing) then too bad ...

Please have some more patience. In my personal life something sad has happened which I will have to deal with. I will not leave the design but I need some time for myself. From now on I probably will not be as active reading posts and participating in threads as before. The design as it is now however is what I wanted it to be: a refined 2.6. Subbu has the final word in this as usual. Of course we feel the pressure of USB being the new "standard" for computer users, still V3 is SPDIF with I2S. There might be a chance we will go on with a new design but you can't imagine the time this whole adventure costs us... We're not pros but we're DIYers like you. I think we can be proud of what we achieved (at least soundwise...) till now. Maybe we are becoming a serious threat for the audio DAC business ;)

Let's concentrate on the positive side of matters: V3 is being born !

This is DIY, if you aren't happy working to someone else's timeline when you're relying on their design and production of PCBs (in this case including prototyping and testing) then too bad ...

...who said i weren't? :confused:

Besides, as far as i know there is another member involved in the development of the dac, some update in the meantime could be possible - even if there are no news.
DIY also means - at least to me - that i may ask a simple question, can't i?

So please calm down everyone (who possibly felt insulted)....

Mickie

its not a productive use of time to constantly reply to prompts for updates when there is nothing to add, pretty sure JP knows there are several hundred people waiting.... getting an update will not make any change to the timetable whatsoever, except perhaps extending it by a few minutes, then ask yourself how many emails, PM's etc all asking that same question that need to be answered.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, I have sent in a file to Subbu for checking and if he decides it is the final V3 version then a small test run will be made, the design will be tested etc. There are two of us involved in this from the beginning till now and if either one of us wants to change something we re-evaluate and sometimes we even start over from scratch.

I adapted the board so manganese dioxide (MnO2) caps can be used. Also U.FL connectors are used but as said before all can still change.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.