• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OOOPS!, Just got the first post on the new thread from qusp "you do realize there is already a dac gallery? doesn't get a lot of traffic unfortunately".

That thread had eluded me but is essentially what was intended. Hopefully what is there can/will be brought to higher prominence and visibility.

Hey, at least I might have the record for the shortest lived thread on the forum. :D

Thread deletion request sent to admin. !!

Last edited:
Dear qusp, / anyone

i have the problem you are describing as i implemented the DAC into a cd-player by tapping I2S from the decoder chip. I don't have any measuring-equipment but i "feel" there's a lot of hf/rf introduced.

So, can you elaborate a bit more on this topic, especially how to connect it properly, how / where do i connect the shields of the cables, what about ground-loops then; which cables should i use anyway.
I did some searches but couldn't find answers that would help me....

What i could use would be some "how to connect i2s - for dummies" guide.

Reagrds,
Mickie

Last edited:
So is there a dac board that will connect to the amanero i2s without adapters?

Yes there are alternatives that do not require adapters, also, the V3 subbu dac may even be better than the v2.6 dac in this regard ... none of us know about the changes to V3 at this stage so it'd be rather premature to criticise a design that is unfinished and that we haven't seen!

Yes there are alternatives that do not require adapters, also, the V3 subbu dac may even be better than the v2.6 dac in this regard ... none of us know about the changes to V3 at this stage so it'd be rather premature to criticise a design that is unfinished and that we haven't seen!

Yes I have ordered a couple of sets of V3 but also interested in alternatives, I guess the Buff3 is one of them, what are the others?

Dear qusp, / anyone

i have the problem you are describing as i implemented the DAC into a cd-player by tapping I2S from the decoder chip. I don't have any measuring-equipment but i "feel" there's a lot of hf/rf introduced.

So, can you elaborate a bit more on this topic, especially how to connect it properly, how / where do i connect the shields of the cables, what about ground-loops then; which cables should i use anyway.
I did some searches but couldn't find answers that would help me....

What i could use would be some "how to connect i2s - for dummies" guide.

Reagrds,
Mickie

I don't have time for a detailed post right now. Maybe tonight I will if others haven't answered already by then. There have already been some suggestions in this thread, and references to other places it has been discussed previously.

In essence I apply the theory, if it looks like it might be an antenna, then it probably is.

The following is a general comment and does not relate to this DAC in any specific way.

Remember that, in general, this is not only the wiring layout, the PCB layout must be done in such a way to reduce the susceptibility to noise. The PCB layout must also be done in such a way as to not pollute its local environment by producing noise.

The broader issue I am referring to is known as EMC, which is a highly detailed field and I do not pretend to be an expert, not many people are experts on these issues in totality. I am hoping to buy this book in the next few months to help my own understanding of these things, obviously not everyone is keen to sit down with a 900+ page tome on EMC though.

Chris

Yes I have ordered a couple of sets of V3 but also interested in alternatives, I guess the Buff3 is one of them, what are the others?

There is also the newer revisions of the ackodac boards for the ES9023 and the ES9016 DAC chips that provide through hole i2s terminations as well as the u.fl or w.fl sockets.

I think EUVL / xen audio also offer one off boards that may meet your requirements, send them a PM.

To save myself some typing, I found this article on dipole antenna theory and high frequency signal routing in electronics design - http://www.hottconsultants.com/pdf_files/dipoles-1.pdf

It does a much better job than I could of explaining the reasons why termination and consideration of all high frequency signals such as i2s is so critical.

The intro to the article says:

An understanding of some basic antenna theory would be helpful for all engineers,
especially those involved in EMC. After all, if a product radiates (or is susceptible to RF
energy) it is an antenna even if you call it something else -- such as a microprocessor, an
IC, a PCB, a power cord, or an RS-232 cable.

And the case for u.fl and other RF connectors rather than normal wires used for i2s signals is most succinctly made on the last page in this quote:
Last, but not least, we could shield the cable and terminate the shield properly (360 degree connection) to the chassis. In this case the cable effectively does not leave the enclosure. You can think of the cable shield as just an extension of the chassis, and how well it does or doesn’t behave in this manner is a strong function of the shield to chassis connection.

In the above quote the term chassis could be replaced by PCB ground plane for the purpose of these discussions.

hochopeper, thanks for your input.

So... i guess for me it's down to two options:

-ground the I2S-cable-shields at both ends (they're grounded only at the "source" side now) and live with the results (possible ground loops, what ever...)

-forget I2S and use the intended SPDIF

Regards

Mickie

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi all, the V3 design is slowly becoming mature. I think some of you with Amanero or other USB to I2S converters will like the new one. We try to read criticism and other posts and then decide to do something with that (or not).

Please have some more patience. In my personal life something sad has happened which I will have to deal with. I will not leave the design but I need some time for myself. From now on I probably will not be as active reading posts and participating in threads as before. The design as it is now however is what I wanted it to be: a refined 2.6. Subbu has the final word in this as usual. Of course we feel the pressure of USB being the new "standard" for computer users, still V3 is SPDIF with I2S. There might be a chance we will go on with a new design but you can't imagine the time this whole adventure costs us... We're not pros but we're DIYers like you. I think we can be proud of what we achieved (at least soundwise...) till now. Maybe we are becoming a serious threat for the audio DAC business ;)

Let's concentrate on the positive side of matters: V3 is being born !

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.