• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just curious.. Has anyone used the DAC with a Joachim Gerhard filter buffer? If so, are there any gains in sound quality when using the buffer?
Yes and yes . . .
See Gary's build

I've built 2 versions of the DAC - 1 more or less the stock BOM although with BG caps in a few key locations. The other version is similar but with a homebuilt version of the JG buffer. I like the version with the buffer better and will eventually add one to the version which is currently bufferless.

---Gary

You guys are crazy right? SMT soldering is not that hard, in fact, it will become the norm for DIY in the future as less through hole parts become available. I understand that with the volume you have in this GB it might actually be financially feasible to supply parts to manufacturer for pick and place and wave soldering. But, for a build that isn't terribly complex, this would be a great place to start with SMT soldering.

You guys are crazy right? SMT soldering is not that hard, in fact, it will become the norm for DIY in the future as less through hole parts become available. I understand that with the volume you have in this GB it might actually be financially feasible to supply parts to manufacturer for pick and place and wave soldering. But, for a build that isn't terribly complex, this would be a great place to start with SMT soldering.

Yes but think of all the how-to and trouble-shooting questions that the experts can avoid answering here in this forum given the number of builders involved if the boards are manufactured at a reasonable cost. :D

If manufactured, the number of orders might go up significantly, to say 600+, because folks might add one more to their order for themselves, a family member or a friend and those who are less inclined may join in. Who knows, the numbers here are already crazy. It's not a bad idea to save some work with manufactured boards if the added cost is marginal. It's the organizers' call. I'm fine either way.

Just a question, why the MIC5205 regulator?

Doing a rough conversion of the datasheet noise density graphs shows a best case noise density of around 200nV at 100kHz(depending on bypass capacitor) which gives around 63uVrms from 10-100K, not eaxctly low noise.

A weird choice given that you use a LM723 as a preregulator, which has 2.5uVrms noise from 100-10K.

Better options :

LT1761/LT1762 is 20uVrms from 10-100K.

APD151 is 9uVrms from 10-100K.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.