• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
V2 was already an improvement over V1, this while V1 was already a good DAC. V3 should be better than rev. 2.6 (pardon, V2.6). If V3 would not be an improvement it would not make sense to have it produced. Putting many hours in the design and testing would not make much sense. So I guess you could safely assume that we do our best to make it a good DAC. When in doubt don't join and make a better design ;)

Think positive.

Last edited:
Everybody in the world can join this group buy, Ron. Wilkommen zu unsere DAC, ich hoffe dass es dir gefallen wird.

You guys keep amazing me ! Nearly 300 pieces is an unbelievable high number for a DIY effort. I have sent in a rev. 3.0.6 layout to Subbu and he is looking at it with sharp eyes. Changes are still possible and I feel great responsibility to make it a very good performing design. You all will have to have patience as I am in the process of moving houses right now. When 3.0.6 will be the final V3 I will post this.

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Man. I thought this would be a USB/SPDIF DAC but I was a little bit confused with all the diyaudio.com WebBrowser-Tabs opened with all these Informations and threads which are overwhelming me.

This would be a perfect dac but the only thing I am missing is USB input so I can connect it to my Laptop/PC with Windows/Linux over USB and can connect it to my Amp or directly to speakers!?

Man. This would be a nobrainer. :D

Sorry but I am a little bit confused. ;)

No, this won't work. But do yourself a favour and get one of the Xmos USB boards offered in this thread:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/188902-xmos-based-asynchronous-usb-i2s-interface.html.
It costs a little more than 100€ and someone called it the audio bargain of the decade, and I share this opinion. You can go via I2s data into the subbu dac, avoiding the SPDIF conversion.
This should be one very good source from your Linux distro, I sold my cd players long ago since I play with Linux/Usb/dac.
And no Dac in this world will drive your speakers directly, you will need a preamp and poweramp or integrated amplifier for that, somehow you need to control volune.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Aha, the PSU PCB is being made and will be delivered within some weeks. We have found out that starting a PSU group buy while the DAC group buy was already started was not the wisest thing to do. I don't have the final power supply PCB myself too :)

You will be enjoying the Subbu V2.6 DAC around Christmas and the V3 around New Year ;)

Last edited:
Hi there!

If I want to use i2s and sometimes also SPDIF as input can I chose between these modes or do I have to choose now which way I want to use the Subbu DAC v3 ?

Because on the spreadsheet at "Inputs" for the GroupBuy it says "-I2s pads: omit WM8804 for I2S use **"

So I need to omit the WM8804 Chip if I want to use I2S! Or ist it possible to switch easily between I2S and SPDIF as Source with the WM8804 Installed on the Board!?
This would be optimal!

Thank you in advance!

Greetings Ron

Hi,

is there any chance to install Hirose's U.FL socket for I2S input? This possibility would be very interesting for WaveIo and Ian I2S Buffer owners.
Probably the best I2S board to board connection. You can't miss it in your wonderful DAC.

Thanks

I use Ian's BIII adapter kit with good results to connect subu dac to either wave, amanero or ian's reclocker using the u.fl sockets.

First of all thanks to Korben69 for organizing this, much appreciated.

Added myself to the list now but might fiddle around with it until the GB closes ;) not sure if I would like to try the balanced version as well.

There seems to be a formula missing in the parts prices, BAL and PSU prices are the same in USD and EUR.

All the best, Stefan

Hi jcastellano, swalter and other who have signed up the spreadsheet :wave:

We've crossed 315 units today ! :cool:
Remember that we, probably, will soon close the GB (October 18th)

I've to find some clever solutions for Parts Kits delivery.
Maybe some "local" relays will be really usefull.
I prefer sending one insured & tracked parcel to one member vs a lot.
That's the idea, your opinion are welcome ;)
Thank you skylab, he has spontaneously offered his help.

As previously told, I expect prices cutdown due to the reached quantities.
Jean-Paul and Subbu are still testing parts.
BTW I'll update Parts Kits prices as soon as they have finished this task.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.