• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Digital signals AndrewT :) You are known as a clear and outspoken man so please be more specific. It would be an honour for us if you would build a V3. I guess your build will be one of the safest builds around ;)

Just teasing, I think you will like the character of the V3.

Last edited:
Digital signals AndrewT :) You are known as a clear and outspoken man so please be more specific. It would be an honour for us if you would build a V3. I guess your build will be one of the safest builds around ;)

Just teasing, I think you will like the character of the V3.
What signals can this DAC combo turn into analogue?
That seemed a clear question to me being a digital nincompoop.
Over in the other Thread that linked me here I got a reply.
Just before you Post921 I got a reply.
Seems that at the moment only the SPDIF is a suitable input signal.

Does post1 reflect all that V3 is and can do?
Or should I be reading other posts that have relevant info?
eg.
ES9023 DAC with all the bells and whistles we added
where do I look for "all the bells and whistles"?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Mmm, I could not make that up from the question, sorry. I thought you were referring to 16 bit/44.1 kHz, 24 bit /96 khz etc. It converts consumer digital audio signalling from 16 bit /44.1 kHz to high res 24 bit material via SPDIF coax 75 Ohm. In other words you can connect it to the "digital out" on your media player, SB Touch or a cd player and have way better sound than the device its own DAC section can produce.

The "bells and whistles" are euphemistic as there are none. We added a shiny luxury item/feature though in the form of a power LED ;). This device is designed to do just one thing with no software settings, switches or any human interaction (except for switching it on): it just needs to do its job in the background and sound good if not excellent. No more, no less.

So, it has SPDIF for input, L + R for outputs and the necessary 5 V power supply connection. Our 5 V PSU is a 10 µV noise mains fed transformer based linear power supply. All added together a very good performing combo that outperforms many DACs that cost many times more. Although I seem to be involved in this project I am critical of our work and tend to underestimate this simple device but to my surprise I have heard the V3 win from quite expensive A brand DACs which gives us pride and joy. Meanwhile there is a community that have build the V3 and various verdicts can be read in other threads. Apart from hesitating verdicts after the first working minutes (it needs a few days to break in) everybody seems content with the sonical qualities which can be translated to the number of sets being sold (500 + or 600 +, I lost count).

There are many posts/threads on the device but I think you know enough now ?

Last edited:
OK, thanks.

I do have a further question.
It came up a few years back and I wonder if the technology has moved on.

In mutli-channel digital equipment they output 6channels of analogue from a 5.1
One can sometimes get a two channel digital signal out that can be converted to analogue to drive ONLY the two front "stereo" channels.

Can we use this or any DAC to access the other 4 channels of a 5.1 audio stream?

I believe it is a choice you put to the DSP. If you choose 2 channels then the others would be muted. I would find this quite logic. Why waste power on parts not utilized by choice?
Secondly, no - this is a stereo (2-ch) device so you would need 3 boards to utilize 6-ch audio.

What would be the logic solution to you Andrew?

Regards

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Audio friends, please be aware that Subbu and I are a bit "V3 Group Buy-tired" (one of the reasons being a new Subbu Audio PSU GB coming your way !) and we choose an easy way out this time. We are willing to have the PCBs produced (same quality as before with gold plating) but we just want to hear a number and an organiser/distributor that we can send the boards to. Especially Subbu is very busy so the distribution is a bit too much for him.

I think this is the nth time we have boards produced but there seems to be a steady demand and who are we to spoil the fun ? Often you see nice devices here on diyaudio.com but no boards are available. In this case it is different, you can get boards but you will need to cooperate, take some effort together, put some time in it or even throw boards in padded envelopes and send them away. I leave the solutions to you all, so organise and communicate. Our partner in crime Korben69 is willing (as always) to make component sets, Europe only.

Can we use this or any DAC to access the other 4 channels of a 5.1 audio stream?

I don't know as I am allergic to multichannel sets as they often make my ears bleed when stereo music is played. This goes together with a unhealthy reaction on blue LEDs as often used on those sets. My doctor advised me to steer clear of both, hence the sunglasses I wear during listening sessions as you never know what will be in front of you.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Sorry, we don't do that as it is DIY after all. Part of the fun is buying 100 SMD resistors at Farnell when you need one ;) Seriously, I get my parts from Subbu as it is hard these days to obtain parts in small numbers. That having said I just realized that the numbers are so high now that we could have ......Maybe it is good that we don't know things beforehand in life :)

Still Korben69 is the "part-man" (l' homme des components) for European builders. He is located in France but there is nothing wrong with that IMO. Being french is not a crime.

Last edited:
Box, connector, wires and such mechanical is not a problem.
Sourcing lots of digital chips would be a big problem, since they come in many variations which I would have difficulty telling apart and difficulty in finding one or two retailers for the whole order.
SMD caps and SMD resistors would also present a sourcing problem.

I'd be happy to handle the distribution for the States. Just bought a new supply of labels for my QL-500 printer. :D There are a couple BOMs cart ready at Mouser and Digikey. Those may need slight adjustments due to discoveries via the build and mod threads.

Last edited:
OK, thanks.

I do have a further question.
It came up a few years back and I wonder if the technology has moved on.

In mutli-channel digital equipment they output 6channels of analogue from a 5.1
One can sometimes get a two channel digital signal out that can be converted to analogue to drive ONLY the two front "stereo" channels.

My entire diyAudio Forum adventure started about five years ago after reading several articles on the renewed popularity of two channel audio for "Audiophiles". I had used several top of the line Yamaha, Sony and Denon *.1 receivers during the prior fifteen years, but only use one occasionally for movies and sport championship broadcasts now (96" diag pull-down screen + projector) . I honestly don't believe the two categories mesh all that well. There is an awful lot of unnecessary "fluff" using DSP technology - IMHO. :2c:

Last edited:
Agreed, and having both available is fun also.:up: I use the same fronts for both systems and only need to swap wires at the speaker terminals.

It would be fun to follow along with the development of a big mulit-channel build using the V3s if that's doable ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.