• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there. Happy new Year to ya all! I am really curious and really wanted to ask if there are any new informations regarding I2S-Support?

Thank you in advance!
Ron..

PS: I know, I asked the wrong question! :D But need to know if I should wait or just need to look for a different board.

Thanks again!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi there. Happy new Year to ya all! I am really curious and really wanted to ask if there are any new informations regarding I2S-Support?

Thank you in advance!
Ron..

PS: I know, I asked the wrong question! :D But need to know if I should wait or just need to look for a different board.

Thanks again!

You like to have an honest answer do you ? I spoke to Subbu and we both think an I2S solution with the same quality as the SPDIF V3 is too late with nice I2S boards like Currymans etc. that sometimes also include the JG buffer for reasonable prices.

We did a good job if I may say on the SPDIF version but any attempt with the delay we (edit by Subbu: make that "I" JP) have become famous for would kill possible interest from you all we think. Sometimes it is better to call it quits on time. I know it sounds a bit awkward, "in time".

So we let you all solder your V3 SE in peace with no new version in sight so no hurry. We are thinking of continuing our cooperation and have some ideas but this time no info till it is ready for rollout. One learns a few things here and there...

Just enjoy your DACs and thanks for the ride you all. Please do report your results in the Build thread as I will be checking that one. The support we promised we would not give is a support that ...eh... still is not promised but it works a little bit somehow ;)

Last edited:
No, the documentation is kept only to the people who participated in this group buy, as the designers didn't want to have endless discussion threads with "what if"'s, "but that's poor!"'s, "why didn't you"'s etc from the people who have no interest at all to build the project in the first place.

You like to have an honest answer do you ? I spoke to Subbu and we both think an I2S solution with the same quality as the SPDIF V3 is too late with nice I2S boards like Currymans etc. that sometimes also include the JG buffer for reasonable prices.

We did a good job if I may say on the SPDIF version but any attempt with the delay we (edit by Subbu: make that "I" JP) have become famous for would kill possible interest from you all we think. Sometimes it is better to call it quits on time. I know it sounds a bit awkward, "in time".

So we let you all solder your V3 SE in peace with no new version in sight so no hurry. We are thinking of continuing our cooperation and have some ideas but this time no info till it is ready for rollout. One learns a few things here and there...

Just enjoy your DACs and thanks for the ride you all. Please do report your results in the Build thread as I will be checking that one. The support we promised we would not give is a support that ...eh... still is not promised but it works a little bit somehow ;)

Hey jean-paul!

Thank you for your honest clarification regarding the I2S Subbu DAC!
I appreciate your work and understand your decision, but if you are going to make a I2S Board in the future you can count me in as a "customer"! ;-)

Thanky you again for your honesty and explanation. So you would also consider the curryman DAC as a good one?!

Thanks again and kind regards from Germany!
Ron

I concur. I was hoping for an i2s version as well and bought a few of the PS PCBs in anticipation. Looks like I'm going to have to find another DAC project to use them with. I have a Curryman 9023 that I built, so hopefully there will be some other great suggestions. Any ideas guys?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
So you could live with a V3 with just the WM8804 parts removed and I2S inputs added ? I must admit we had different and more original plans but that is something for another time ;-)

Please ask Subbu. I let him decide, we can probably do the same trick as last time by specifying a minimum number. Demand has to be there and members could organize it themselves.

I DO NOT PROMISE ANYTHING !!!! Just ask my colleague Subbu first.

Last edited:
Can someone explain as simple as possible, the advantage of I2S input? This is probably not the place for any kind of detailed discussion, but since the topic is persistent a short tag would be helpful for those of us who have little knowledge on the subject. Is it just a matter of fewer data translations along the stream?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I2S is an "inter IC protocol" specifically designed for interfacing audio chips/devices. If you want to have an USB DAC you will gain quality (ha ha, with USB) by going straight from USB to the I2S which is a language the DAC chip understands.

You will omit a terrible sequence of USB to SPDIF conversion directly followed by a SPDIF to I2S conversion which only then goes to the DAC chip (with all the associated jitter, more shining LEDs en nice device names). You will have a lot of posts to do on fora then ;) In short, people that want I2S will definitely use the DAC after a USB to I2S device as they know they have better results then. Most likely that will be guys that do computer audio as USB is often not found on stand alone audio devices.

I2S is nice, I2S is good but I2S does not like long cabling as it was never meant for outboard connections. It was meant for connecting audio chips on PCBs. In fact I2S likes very very short shielded cabling. This makes I2S like the beautiful girl you had in class. You like to do all nice things but it is not possible.

I²S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
We might want a separate i2s interest thread if Subbu is interested. The beauty of i2s is you could have a switch board like the Twisted Pear OTTO-II and switch between sources ie USB and SPDIF. The only other feature I'd want is option for external clocking so you can re-clock your i2s signal to mitigate jitter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.