• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi tubo

Please add your wishes in the "Magic Spreadsheet", link is shown in Page 1
You mean 1 SE DAC + 1 PSU or Parts Only ?
If you want a working SE DAC V3 then you need :
1*DAC V3 PCB + 1*ES9023 DAC Chip + 1*PSU PCB + 1*SE Parts Kit + 1*PSU Parts Kit

Phil

Last edited:
#76 Updated.

I am very new to DIY. However I dont want to miss the opportunity.
I have updated the sheet. I will be making two DAC's. Can someone please check the sheet and confirm I have put the correct numbers. Thanks in advance.

DJ

Hi DJ

If your goal is to build 2 DAC's your input is correct.
1 SE DAC = 1*DAC V3 PCB + 1*ES9023 + 1*PSU PCB + 1*SE Kit + 1*PSU Kit
Hope you'll enjoy building this great DAC :)

Phil

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi all, I made several new versions but we feel the 2.6 was already very good and surpassing it by a new design is not the road to follow. Original thought was to make one large PCB with both DAC and power supply on one board but we decided that is not optimal. Normally I am not too shy for changes but we both really think the board should only be slightly changed. So I polished the 2.6 to a 3.0 and did some subtle improvements. Large changes of an already proven design really is playing with fire ;) Positive effect is that it will have the same dimensions as the old one so retrofitting will be possible.

One of the subtle improvements is that the new 3.0 board will be gold plated. Result of this is that the board will be higher priced. More details will follow as we try to find a replacement for the BG caps. We already did but no details for now.

Last edited:
You must provide your own usb->i2s interface.

Thanks,
I just read about some comparison between Sabree DACs-
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...23-sabre-premier-dac-integrated-op-amp-2.html

A review of ESS's DAC lineup is interesting (numbers are for 8 channel mode on the 8 channel parts):
start with an unbuffered voltage output and shared supplies
9023 - -94dB THD, 112dB DNR
buffer the voltage output, separate analog and digital supplies
9006 - -102dB THD, 120dB DNR
switch to 64 pin package and add more supply pins
9008/9012/9018 - -108dB THD, 120dB DNR
go back to 48 pin package but change to current mode out
9016 - -110dB THD, 124dB DNR
keep current mode out and switch to 64 pin package again
9008 - -118dB THD, 128dB DNR
do some die layout improvements over the 9008?
9012/9018 - -120dB THD, 129dB DNR

So is that ES9023 has more distortion level than older chips on paper? with only 94bd THD compared to other chips?How can be a true performance in real world?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi some people even think ES9023 sounds better than some ES9018 implementations. I don't know about that, I can only tell it sounds way better than it should. For instance AKM chips are no comparison.

The same technology that is used in more expensive ESS chips is used in ES9023.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.