• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Power Supply PCB for ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Take a look at the Design Guide - Rectifier User from Hammond Transformer.

When a transformer is used as Full Wave Bridge Cap Input, the current rating is reduced to about 0.62 in the circuit. This means that you really don't want to draw more than 200ma out of it (300ma x 0.62), I have seen the derating factor of 0.7 which might be for a perfect transformer with no loss.

Notice the 3FD-316 is used with the secondary parallel; therefore,
it works like 0.3A. JP or Subbu can fill in, I believe a fully populated
v2.6 consumes around 100ma, therefore, this transformer is more
than adequate for one SE configuration.

Some people prefer over sized transformers, some prefer the right
size in the designed circuit. So, this can be a personally preferences.
My usual suggestion is to try it and decide yourself which is what I
will be doing :)

My current PS uses a 36VA EI transformer (9-0-9 2A) that powers
various PS boards that I have made, including the SSLV BiB. One thing
for sure, my current set up is not as compact as this PSU. At the end,
one of them will stay :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
A fully populated V2.6 draws 50 mA tot 70 mA depending on the XO used. The Fox ones are the most "power hungry". The transformer is more than adequate for 2 DAC boards.

Don't use transformers with higher voltages than 9 V AC.

Last edited:
I receive my PS boards yesterday and got to work on them right away. Thank you so much Subbu!!

And now I have 2 quick questions.
Neither C13 nor Cled are in the BOM. C13 looks like it might be the same as C2, C4 and C5. Should I use C2, C4 and C5 for C13?
Do you have a recommendation for Cled?

I'm looking forward to getting this inside my preamp! Thanks, Subbu and Jean-Paul!

-Byron

I didn't get C13 either, but got extra C2/C4/C5s like Byron. Can I use the 16v rated C2 instead of the BOM C13 (1uF/25v )? I think in the dac thread someone gave that as a "hint", but just want to be sure.

Thanks.

You should be able to use the same 1uf MLCC 16V or 25V for C2/C4/C5 and C13.
I use flim cap for C2/C4/C5 and MLCC X7R for C13. With our transformer ouput only 8-10V, 16V rating should be good enough.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi I would use 25V versions for all caps before the LM723 like described in the BOM (why deviate from the BOM anyway ?). If the transformer gives around 10V then 15V DC is close to the max. rating of 16V. It will certainly come close to the max. when it is unloaded. Not exactly good design practice, in fact I would call it "potentially unreliable". I like reliable safe good sounding electronics that I can leave powered on if I like. There are too many devices breaking down already so we swim against the current. Good old fashioned fine sounding stuff that lasts......

Strange thing: some want an overdimensioned ttransformer that also gives a too high voltage and at the other hand caps are chosen too tight ;).

Last edited:
Hi I would use 25V versions for all caps before the LM723 like described in the BOM (why deviate from the BOM anyway ?).

Sorry jean-paul, I was confused by the first page BOM (updated 11/30/2012) listing the 25v cap but the Mouser part number in the BOM, for both the standard and alternate caps, pointing to a 16v part. I wrongly assumed the 16v caps would do. I will get 25v parts for all.

Or am I using the wrong BOM?

Happy New Year to all and thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.