• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Paradise phono stage

Thanks Manolo for the info.

I guess I'll just have to keep watch here if there are any extra boards.

P.S. Can anyone comment if there are any appreciable sonic differences between this version (what seems to be a through hole version) and the LSK389 / matched BF862 all SMD version in the original preamp buffer idea thread?

Paradise PreReg Group Buy Assessment of Demand

This is a post copy from the Prereg Thread!

Hi Guys,

i just talked to Peter and he would do another round of Prereg PCB production if we get together at least 20 Stereosets = 40 PCBs for production.

It seems to be a pretty good time for this, as many people have ordered new Paradise Boards from Alfred and may need some powering for those.

To get a rough shot on your need for Prereg PCBs, please send me an Email or PM so that i can fill the following table:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eA-F1Z3nZYQPkwdGa0nRqHP2hrClLh4kcjPRQnRiodE/edit?usp=sharing

If there is enought interest, i'll talk to Peter and we start the official round of the group buy.

Note, that this time, it will only be the PCBs.

Price will most certainly be the same as the last time, which is 44€ per Stereoset + package and handling.

Cheers,
Walter

Hi everybody,

looks like the waiting will soon be over, the boards are manufactured and shipped, on their way to myself.... With a little bit of luck I should be ready to ship next week or so.... please bear with me as I have a daytime job too.....

best regards
alfred

can´t wait to get my soldering iron on them !!!!!

thanks for everything alfred

abrazo

manolo

Hi,

Can anyone comment if there are any appreciable sonic differences ...

Probabely none, except that I spewed my holydevellish sermon over the originals :D

The LSK/BF may be a tad lower in noise figure, but that doesn´t play any role here.
There may also be slight differences in THD level and harmonic distribution.
Again, nothing of prominence.
The cascoding JFET probabely mark the biggest dfference, as the 4391 generates ~4V of gate-source voltage while the J107 provides only ~2-3.
This voltage at the same is the LSKs or PFs drain-source voltage.
If one look s at the datasheets Id-Vds (with Vgs as parameter) curves theres´s a quite linearly rising part up to 1-2V of Vds, the so called resistive part, where a JFET behaves like a voltage controlled resistor. Than follows a small bended transition region, followed by the saturation region where the curves tend to the horizontal.
Used as amplifier a transistor is held within the saturation region.
In tendency its better to have some Vds, as Vds typically varies all over the x-axis and the transistor behaviour is more linear.
In our case though the cascoding transistor Q2,Q5 hold the Vds of Q1,Q4 quite constant so that the linearity issue is of minor importance.
The cascoding JFETs Vds reduces the maximum output voltage of the circuit, as it must be subtracted from the supply voltage.
In our case the maximum output voltage of the Paradise is so much lower than the supply voltages, that it also doesn´t matter which transistor is used.
Remaining Qs regard technology (SMD, mixed, or Throughhole), sourceabilty and costs.
Leaving Calvin Spew the only decisive matter of sonic character :drool: :yuck: :D :Pinoc:

jauu
Calvin

Trannies for paradise

Hello all.
The search is over.
I ordered "some" BC327 and BC337 and finally found some with the right hfe (both 337 and 327 with hfe between 400 and about 520).

I hope to get around 40 complete sets of BC327 and BC337 for a stereo paradise.

The input transistors will have the SAME hfe (both BC337 and 327).
The other BC327 and 337 are matched according to Alfreds build guide (current mirror etc..).

I will be busy with matching the rest for the next week.

I will post a google sheet where you can sign up if you are interested in a (or 2 or 3...) stereo sets.

See you.

Ulf

Hello all.
The search is over.
I ordered "some" BC327 and BC337 and finally found some with the right hfe (both 337 and 327 with hfe between 400 and about 520).

The other BC327 and 337 are matched according to Alfreds build guide (current mirror etc..).

I will post a google sheet where you can sign up if you are interested in a (or 2 or 3...) stereo sets.

See you.
Ulf

please add me in for a stereo set.

Hello all.
The search is over.

See you.

Ulf

Hi Ulf

Put me down for 2 sets please.

Nick

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi all,

just to let you know the Paradise / Calvin buffer / Shunt reg boards have shipped today and should be with you in the next days, maybe a little longer for Chile, Australia and Taiwan (!!!) - yes, we have global reach!!

In fact, it would be fun to travel the world, take pictures and listen to all the Paradises out there - sure it would be a fascinating experience......

happy bastling
alfred

Hello all.
The search is over.

See you.

Ulf

1stereo set for me .
depending on the price.. :)