• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Paradise phono stage

Finished stuffing the boards and currently checking dc op points. As usual i jump into these GBs at the frenzy of the moment and only get to do some reading afterwards :)

Does anyone have an idea if converting this to a FET input is at all possible? Even at the expense of major surgery? The idea of an even small offset does not fill my heart with joy. Whilst it may not kill the cart, it will very likely cause some permanent magnetisation. What's even worse is that the trimming pot makes a mockery of my Shinkoh loading resistors, being effectively in parallel.

Sorry if this has already been discussed in the monumental MPP thread.

And you can pack the lower Hfe ones in the mirrors without a problem.
They even work in the input stage although input DC offset will be a bit higher in proportion to the loss of Hfe. Can be dealt with just fine with the offset trim.
The only problem that remains is when you swap cartridges quite often that have a big difference in DC impedance. To fry a cartridge is unlikely though.