Paradise phono stage - Page 113 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2013, 09:36 PM   #1121
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all who commented about the issues i raised..

Quote:
Originally Posted by quan View Post
Wholeheartedly agee. The Teflon caps did make a difference. But the power supply makes a bigger changes . It is the sum of all parts that leads to the Holygrail
With all the changes additions and progress that went into, Which is the prefered supply configuration for it ?? "The holygrail"
Old 11th October 2013, 09:54 PM   #1122
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Thommy pm me I can send you my source list for all parts.
Old 12th October 2013, 07:40 AM   #1123
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollE2k View Post
By the way - when matching with the circuit in the guide, i always see the voltage (mV) rising slowly while having the multimeter over the parallell 1K resistors, even and backs when removing the multimeter. i take it the value from the start is the value i want, and that the multimeter in some way makes the the voltage rise during measuring?
Yes, I noticed that too. This is due to the transistor heating up during the test. The safe way would be to wait until the value changes no more, and then take the reading, but that will take a while. (I did take the first stable readout, after a second or so, and match that way - I admit I am a little lazy.....)
Old 12th October 2013, 07:48 AM   #1124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenY View Post
Thanks to all who commented about the issues i raised..

With all the changes additions and progress that went into, Which is the prefered supply configuration for it ?? "The holygrail"
Beny, I think that with the "standard" configuration (Paradise with Benedetto's prereg) you should be very happy. As mentioned by many here, the most important factors are the precise gain matching of the input stage transistors, input bias adjustment, and most precise matching of the RIAA components, all of this as identical as possible between the channels. NExt comes the chassis and cabling (mostly to avoid hum and noise issues), then the power supply and then you can think about boutique parts etc etc.

One modification I heart about but have not tried it yet, is to shorten one of the LEDs of each of the four shunt regulator LED strings, so that the supply voltage comes down to 16.2V. This allows you to use 24V batteries to supply the Paradise (24V is not sufficient otherwise, you need at least 26V). It is said that battery supply improves over the pre-reg, but that may also have to do with the (noise) quality of the grid voltage).

Yes, I bought the copper-teflon caps, and they do sound nice, nicer than what I had before (and I admit my ears may not be up to the task to hear the last, subtle, almost mythical differences), at an estimated 7500% higher price than Wima FKP2. Decide for yourself.....
Old 12th October 2013, 08:14 AM   #1125
diyAudio Member

Folks, why not discuss this in the "Paradise builders" thread - Paradise Builders

This thread is for the group buy. Don't mean to spoil the party, but over there its where it should be.....
Old 12th October 2013, 09:03 AM   #1126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
What also makes a big difference who is in the room.
Last year @ Krefeld Ał Audio-Fair, i had the chance
to peep two guys (one of them a rather famous producer
of expensive valve equipment) who induced real different
hum to the setup by just standing behind it, complaining
if it could be a result of one of them beeing a vegetarian.
In fact he was humming louder.
Old 27th October 2013, 02:33 PM   #1127
diyAudio Member

Any idea when there might be another GB for these boards please?
Old 28th October 2013, 08:28 AM   #1128
mcds is offline mcds  Tuvalu
diyAudio Member

The next group buy will take some time as the board will be redesigned to incorporate the Calvin buffer, probably early 2014. The group buy after that - 2015 - will include a volume control, the 2016 one will allow for a few line-level inputs.

Joachim will then have a thorough re-think and the 2017 group buy will be for a digital phono stage.

Old 28th October 2013, 08:47 AM   #1129
diyAudio Member

Actually on another forum ( Frickelfest Forum ) we are working on a phono stage with digital EQ. It is called Pandium.
Old 28th October 2013, 10:49 AM   #1130
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Analog input stage -> AD converter -> add digitalite + dither + jitter -> DA converter - > filter everything -> buffer the whole results

Hide this!Advertise here!