Joachim Gerhard Filter Buffer for ES9022 - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2013, 02:50 PM   #601
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Would you happen to know if the board is safe to use with the existing parts on it in a reflow oven?

If so, what is the max. safe temperature?
Old 21st June 2013, 03:17 PM   #602
diyAudio Member

Ok, never mind.

There's only a handful of smd resistors need that are tricky. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 21st June 2013, 03:58 PM   #603
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

We cannot guarantee that the existing parts will stay in place if you heat up to more than 150C.
But there is no need to. It is much easier to just hand solder.

Patrick
Old 21st June 2013, 04:01 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

I think I lost the bom again. Where can I find it.
Sorry.
Old 21st June 2013, 04:39 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

Search this thread.

Patrick
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:20 AM   #606
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
Guys as I understand you advise using power supply regulator with buffer ?
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:20 PM   #607
kumori is offline kumori  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxonline View Post
Guys as I understand you advise using power supply regulator with buffer ?
As I understand it, the XEN team advises to use batteries with the buffer.
But also, since batteries are not everybody's cup of tea, you can use the low impedance, low noise power supply regulator of your choice. For best results, use a bipolar supply for each channel.

Another question about source impedance before the buffer: What source output impedance is recommended (or ok) before the buffer?

I really thought about this for some time now, but with my limited knowledge, Im not coming anywhere anymore. So any help is appreciated.

The 9022/9023, for which the buffer is build, should have an output impedance in the range of 220-240 Ohms, which is, (I guess) average for a home audio source. So basically, could it be integrated after any audio source with reasonably low output impedance?

To be more specific: I am thinking about how to integrate the filter-buffer with my SEN I/V stage for the BIII DAC. Im using the SEN single ended at the moment, but I am working on a balanced setup right now. I used transformers for unbalancing the signal in the past (via Sowter 3575 with 10k:10k windings) so I would like to use them again with the balanced SEN.

I first thought about using the buffer after the transformer, to buffer its high impedance of the secondaries. But then Im not sure if the passive filter part of the buffer would still be functional. So: would it work?
Im sorry if this is maybe a dumb question but I didnt study electronics, feel free to educate me.

Another possibility would be to use the Lundahl LL 1527 transformers for unbalancing, which I have lying around. They have a "static primary and secondary resistance" of around 50 Ohm. So much lower than the sowter 3575. Consequently, it should work with the filter buffer, but Im not sure if the SEN can drive such low impedance properly (Im using Riv=180 Ohm at the SEN).

A third possibility would be to use two filter buffers (four channels, one for each phase) before the transformers on the balanced signal. But this doubles the complexity, and would leave an unbuffered signal after the sowter transformer...

So, I like bandwidth limiting (and consequently the idea of a filter), it makes longterm listening more enjoyable in my experience. And I know the transformers provide some bandwidth limiting of their own, but I guess it would be nice if I could properly implement an active buffer with them, to not loose the "drive and slam" that the SEN I/V stage brought back to my system.

Last edited by kumori; 23rd June 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:45 PM   #608
diyAudio Member

This filter in particular is designed for the ES9022, which has Zout in the order of 240R.
You can of course used it for something similar, such as PCM5102.

For anything else, such as SEN, I would not use the filter as is for a Zout of higher than 1k.
If your Zout is higher, you can redeisgn the filter accordingly, or add a buffer in between.

This is only meant to explain how to make it work.
It does not imply by any means that it is the optimal solution.

I don't use transformers. So no comment on those.

Patrick
Old 23rd June 2013, 08:18 PM   #609
kumori is offline kumori  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thank you Patrick,

I did dome more reasearch now. I guess the best way for me to use it - with line transformer - and the combined knowledge of diyaudio :-)
->SEN with 240R and 4.7 nF Riv/Civ termination (or slightly different, doesnt matter so much apparently)
-> Two Filter-Buffers PCBs for balanced operation. Presents low impedance source to
-> 10k/10k unbalancing transformers with a constant load on secondaries by
-> potentiometer (dont know which impedance yet)
-> buffer to poweramp

Any objections? Ill see how this works out....
Old 24th June 2013, 04:18 AM   #610
diyAudio Member

I don't know what DAC you are using, but if you use 240R for SEN, you might not have 2Vrms output.

Patrick

Hide this!Advertise here!