Joachim Gerhard Filter Buffer for ES9022 - Page 46 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 11:03 PM   #451
diyAudio Member

I got to building tonight. A word of warning: those 150pf capacitors are easy to bugger up. I did it to 2 of them, and melting off the end cap on them. Be warned! Also, just so you remember to use the 18.7k resistor for R1 rather than the 10k. It's the only one that is unmarked.

Fran
Old 29th January 2013, 05:22 AM   #452
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yes, you should really used low-temperature solder and reduce iron temperature to 300C maximum, and have speedy hands.
Melt the solder on the PCB first before putting the cap in place will help.

Practice makes things perfect. No other way.

Patrick
Old 29th January 2013, 10:10 AM   #453
diyAudio Member

Yeap, once you get the hang of it you can work really really fast.

E.g.:
SMD lten lernen (0805+0603) - YouTube

As I've said before, I actually find it faster (and more fun) than working with through hole components.
Also, in tight layouts and if temperature is too high (or you don't move fast enough) you'll have solder re-flowing in neighboring pads; which is never a good idea because parts near the one you're working on will start moving!

The only thing you can never really practice enough is trying to find an 0402 or 0603 component that you drop on the floor...
I actually lost one of the caps (or was it a resistor?) when I was soldering this filter board! Good idea to include a spare one in the kits..!

Last edited by TheShaman; 29th January 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 29th January 2013, 12:38 PM   #454
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yes, large work bench, locking tweezers and NOT carpet, or lay down some paper. of course that wont stop it happening.

man that guy uses a lot of solder on that vid
Old 29th January 2013, 12:41 PM   #455
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

I have to agree - I find I prefer SMD work these days. I'm 55 and requires a good 5x viewing glass, but I find it more enjoyable. I think part of it is seeing my technique improve as I do it. I added a reflow oven to my bench awhile back, but I still prefer to lay components down by hand. I find it relaxing.
Old 29th January 2013, 01:56 PM   #456
shoom is offline shoom  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi All
OK I know that most of you guys here are old hands at SMD work but Im still pretty new to it all.
Others may be also
Here is what I usually do.
Tools
Adjustable temp soldering iron. (Set for around 300deg C)
Good quality low melt solder (I use Cardas as its nice to work with)
10x magnifying loop
A pair of fine pointed nose tweezers
A flux pen
An old aerosol lid in white preferably. (Stops SMDs disappearing into thin air)
A sheet of white paper.
I use a board clamp but Im sure that a couple of blobs of blue tack or such like will stop the board from skidding around.
1) Select the SMD component to be soldered and drop it into the aerosol lid.
2) Solder one of the pads for the SMD on the board
3) Take out the SMD from the lid and put it onto the white paper with the tweezers.
4) Apply flux to the end of the SMD to be soldered to the pre soldered pad.
5) Grab the SMD with the tweezers and place it flux side to the pre soldered pad
6) Quickly apply heat to the pre soldered pad and device once you have it correctly aligned.
7) Check the joint with the loop
8) If happy solder the other end of the SMD and check both joints with the loop.
With resistors I usually check for continuity with a Multimeter from the pad before to the pad after.
Remember to take as much time as needed
The only thing that should be quick is your work with the iron.
Im new to all of this stuff but I was lucky enough to have help getting started but if Ive got it wrong or missed something please chip in as your experiences may help others.
Good luck
Old 4th February 2013, 01:53 PM   #457
diyAudio Member

mmm. I soldered up my boards, fried one of the 150pF caps in the process. That was replaced, and it measures OK. But there is something wrong, I get distorted sound on one channel and almost nothing on the other. If I plug out the distorted channel, I get sound on the silent one.

I made a boo-boo somewhere....

EUVL - I am using your dac. Ground and signals are going from the outputs on your dac straight to the JG filter (what would have gone to the rca jacks). Power is +/-12V supply from a Salas shunt. Dac on its own is perfect, so its deinfitely something in how I have assembled/wired the filter.

Fran

Last edited by woodturner-fran; 4th February 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 03:04 PM   #458
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Sounds like you swapped the Gnd and the input signal wires to the filter, or shorted them somehow on the PCB.

Suggest you do the following :
Use a functions generator (or sound card output) to supply a 1kHz Sine wave to the filter, one channel at a time.
Use an oscilloscope to see the waveform.

This will at least tell you which channel has gone wrong, and why.

So simple circuit !!!!!!!!!

Patrick

Last edited by EUVL; 4th February 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 06:16 PM   #459
diyAudio Member

Err, em. Fess up time. I had gnd and + output wrong way round on one channel. That was the reason for sound on one side only. Distortion was because I had set the shunt incorrectly and Vs was low. Easy to make such silly mistakes late at night under pressure.

Sound: more 3d soundstage, more detail and reality to the sound of each instrument. It doesn't jump out at you, but when you switch back and forth its apparent.

+1 for the design team!

Fran
Old 4th February 2013, 06:48 PM   #460
diyAudio Member

Actually, it's very apparent on more dense complex music. Playing "no man will ever love you like I do" by raghu dixit is a great track, and very complex. The extra resolution without any harshness is a real bonus.

Hide this!Advertise here!