• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Parts GB EU Only

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally I've received my ES9023 PCBs this afternoon, little boards : 80 x 50 mm only.

Dear Emeritus would you please point me the correct way to solder the polarized Tantalums caps ?
(C19, C22, C26, C29 and C8 for SE and C19, C22, C26 and C8 for BAL)
I've scanned the PCB and highlight concerned Tantalum caps footprint.
Thanks for your "enlighted" advices ;)

Attachments

• DAC PCB HR 50.jpg
    DAC PCB HR 50.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 227
That's correct. If you are in doubt, one small trick (that's what I did) - measure the pads to the ground, there should be continuity between ground and -ve pad.

C8 is after the inductor (L3), so it can be the same parts as in the BOM which is non-polarized. Regardless, the above trick will tell you the correct orientation quickly.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
C8 is after the inductor (L3), so it can be the same parts as in the BOM which is non-polarized.

Wrong, C8 was changed to a 4.7 µF 10 or 16 V tantalum cap as the regs don't like too low ESR caps at their outputs. Phil, you are right about the polarity. They are correct in the picture in post #122 but C8 is orientated the opposite way so + to the upper side. Normally I would have orientated all the same way but we started with non polarized caps in which case it would not have mattered.

Last edited:
Wrong, C8 was changed to a 4.7 µF 10 or 16 V tantalum cap as the regs don't like too low ESR caps at their outputs.

Yeah, but C8 is not right after the reg. It is C19 - L3 - C8. Are you saying L3 is not enough to decouple C8 from the reg? Anyway, I have no problem with using the 1uF film cap as in the BOM.

Edit: so the revised circuit is C19 (4.7uF tanlaum) -> L3 -> C8 (4.7uF tanlalum), i.e. C8 is changed from the 1uF film to 4.7uF tantalum.

Last edited:
Phil, you are right about the polarity. They are correct in the picture in post #122 but C8 is orientated the opposite way so + to the upper side.

Great Jean-Paul, thanks.
BTW the attached pic should be correct.
GB members will receive C19-22-26-29-8 (SE) or C19-22-26-8 (BAL) Vishay/Sprague 4.7µF/10v Tantalum caps, according to ordered versions.
Second pic shows Tantalum SMD cap, white line indicates "+" polarity side.
Regards

Phil

Attachments

• DAC PCB HR 50.jpg
    DAC PCB HR 50.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Tantalum Cap 4.7µF 10V.JPG
    Tantalum Cap 4.7µF 10V.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yeah, but C8 is not right after the reg. It is C19 - L3 - C8. Are you saying L3 is not enough to decouple C8 from the reg? Anyway, I have no problem with using the 1uF film cap as in the BOM.

Edit: so the revised circuit is C19 (4.7uF tanlaum) -> L3 -> C8 (4.7uF tanlalum), i.e. C8 is changed from the 1uF film to 4.7uF tantalum.

Thanks for telling me what is in our design ;) It was repeated a few times that 4.7 µF tantalum is better for C8. It is not a major difference but still. But as always YMMV, I invite you to try it out.

Edit: so the revised circuit is C19 (4.7uF tantalum) -> L3 -> C8 (4.7uF tantalum), i.e. C8 is changed from the 1uF film to 4.7uF tantalum.

Apart from the original spelling errors this is correct.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Great Jean-Paul, thanks.
BTW the attached pic should be correct.
GB members will receive C19-22-26-29-8 (SE) or C19-22-26-8 (BAL) Vishay/Sprague 4.7µF/10v Tantalum caps, according to ordered versions.
Regards

Phil

Please let everyone read this.

Attachments

• Tantalum Cap 4.7µF 10V.JPG
    Tantalum Cap 4.7µF 10V.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Please wait with soldering the caps. I just thought yours should be a special version considering all your effort with the power supply dilemma/group buy. Wait for the postman !

Mmm, I just read you will be using USB. Nearly made me change my thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi All

As expected, I've received this morning last delivery (Tantalum), and packed all the parcels.

Today, I've sent those members parts :
APK - DiyYes - schuhbu - touchdown - mrwireless - Tome - gig - Ginum - danzup - Ciu - skouliki

Tracking will be available tomorrow, have a look a the GoogleDoc for the number.
I hope to be abble to ship remaining enveloppes tomorrow.
Regards

Phil

PS : sorry gig, I've missed your morning mail :(

Last edited:
SMD parts populated.

Nothing special, be carefull with C8, must be soldered after Q2.

I've begun with ES9023, WM8804, MIC5205, 74LVC1, followed with 0805 resistors and caps, 1210 caps, inductors, crystal & oscillator, tantalum caps, film caps and electrolytics.
No solder bridge on WM8804 ;)

C10 is very close to C10b, you need to bend a little C16 & C31.
That's all, firing on Monday in SE configuration.

Phil

Attachments

• Pop DAC1.JPG
    Pop DAC1.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Pop DAC2.JPG
    Pop DAC2.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.