• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for F5T Convertible amplifier boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
There has been some more interest in these boards, with the trouble going on with the audiostore's group buy, so if I can get 20 or so pairs of boards requested, I can order some more - probably at the same time as BiB and SSHV2 group buys. I will add line to my signature.

Check out the F5T board thread. You can see my buildout using Tea's boards. They are very well exceuted and more than adequate for almost all needs. They only lack the ablity to do dual mono. In truth, I haev an idea how to execute this if a standalone PSU is used.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Currently not much beyond what is in post one. Buzzforb has got some pics on the general thread of the production while boards as well, I can steal and port over here if needed.
I orginally purposed the board so one could use the available TO-220 FQP fairchild versions, since availablility of the actual Fairchild pair is limited, but Buzz has been delivering sets that work for that as well. If you run these as a version 2 or 3 with lower bias, you can get this into a 'normal' chassis.

Last edited:
Considering the lower bias point. Nelson runs his XA amps with higher output count and lower bias vs low output count and high bias. I hope to post numbers with 2 pairs at bias levels from the article, and 4 pairs with bias levels cut in half. All of this on a normal Class A amp frame, as TeaBag has suggested.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/207103-f5-turbo-builders-thread-36.html
Post #351 for pics of the boards populated.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
as discussed but not surely concluded in the other thread - I think the amount of bias might depend a lot on when someone goes into clipping during normal listening - will it possibily sound worse than with fewer devices or more at higher bias?

Myself, using as a bass-amp - I tend to not be able to notice the transition - but just want the raw current for transient power to 2x 15" woofers on each channel. But I would imagine a 3 way 82db full box would notice the transition if crancked up and would hear it barf on the midrange more. Keep in mind, this is the highest powered FW design AB design so far - so maybe as good as it gets for people with inefficient speakers they love.

The different amount of feedback and gain do make i sound as nelson describes it, a more relaxed but confident amp. It makes the normal F5 sound a little meth'd out by comparison.

Last edited:
:D
TRicked out of course

Attachments

• DSC_0097.JPG
    DSC_0097.JPG
    687.8 KB · Views: 581
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I've gotten quite few request for some power supply boards.
Is this something you guys are interested in? I can talk with LaOde, the Cad man, about putting something together. The Aleph supply off Chipamp, works, but people may be looking for something a little different (More,less,caps), diodes, no diodes on board etc.
Let me know. I will add a column in the GB for this - but not commited to anything yet. Just to see if there is interested.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Anyone want to tell me what brand and model caps they would use on a potential power supply board? CRT wants to make sure the snap in holes punch out right.

Looks like this would be the max voltage, capacitance and size from Panasonic.
ECE-T1JP223FA Panasonic Electronic Components | Mouser

It looks like I want to do 4x 40mm diameter caps for each rail (8 total - but maybe 6 to make smaller). Looks like a 220mm x 90mm or so board. With a V-score break off to mount MUR3020 diodes. It will not really be compact, but should fit into a fairly shallow 12-13 inch chassis with maybe the tranny mounted sideways. Will have LED indicators, C-R-C, with bypass caps, screw down terminal mounts for the wires.

Let me know cap preference. We can make this happen.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.