ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2012, 01:22 AM   #81
jj506 is offline jj506  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Just paid for 2 PCB & 2 ES9023.

jj506
Old 31st May 2012, 03:17 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

GB members list as of 31-May-2012. Yes* in the paid column indicates the payment has been made but held by paypal.

Thanks!
Subbu
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ES9023 DAC PCB Group Buy - 31-MAY-2012.pdf (45.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 1st June 2012, 03:16 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Payment sent thru Paypal.
Old 1st June 2012, 04:42 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

GB members list as of 01-JUN-2012. I will publish the final list tomorrow morning.

Thanks!
Subbu
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ES9023 DAC PCB Group Buy - 01-JUN-2012.pdf (45.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:20 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Default BOM

it has been asked several times in this thread for a BOM and the schematic. How soon could we get one?

Being as we will need these as a minimum to build the dac, sooner would be better than later. it would allow time to order/scrounge parts and generally get familiar with the design.

thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:07 PM   #86
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

We have been busy with this for 4 months (at least). We are still busy testing and selecting parts to avoid unnecessary surprises. Subbu is busy with the BOM and I made things complicated again by changing some things the day he was ready to send the files for production, publish the BOM and the schematic to the participants. Those had to be changed accordingly. Just a little patience, it will be ready within a week.

Some notes as we get flooded by email with the most elementary questions which cost a lot of time:

- you need a decent 5V DC regulated power supply with a separate transformer. Not AC, not 9V not 12 V but 5V DC 250 mA to 1 A. It depends a little which regulators you are going to use on the DAC PCB but 5V is the best choice with either of them. Beefier supplies can be used but they will not make things better. A Velleman K1823 will work OK together with a Nuvotem 60010 transformer (you can parallel the secondaries as it has 2 of them) or any 250 mA to 1 A 7V to 9V transformer. A 6V will probably work too with this small load but officially it is too tight. In real life it will be OK though as 6V transformers give 7V or more normally with 50 mA load. The EI types and Rcore types are technically better but they are mechanically somewhat more difficult to mount or they're more expensive. The Nuvotem will give you 10 V DC at the buffer cap. More than enough. Questions like: "can I use my 24V power supply", "can I use the existing power supply in device Y" will not be answered.

- You will need a metal casing, not wood not plastic but metal be it aluminium or steel, copper or whatever. DACs need some shielding when a 50 MHz clock is used. Wood might be nice to work on and it certainly looks OK but it is not OK for DACs or you would have to use a internal shield.

- You will have to use isolated RCA/cinch connectors for L+R outputs if you mount them in the casing

- You will have to connect either 115V or 230V primaries (depending in which part of the world you are living). I would like to advise to work safe and tidy and to use a fused connector block. I use these frequently, they're safe and it will be mechanically OK:
http://nl.farnell.com/metway-electri...-3w/dp/1134208 Please keep in mind that the middle connector is connected to the chassis by the mounting screw as it is the PE connection. Use isolated cable shoes on flexible wires 0.75 to 1.5 mm2.

- First build the power supply and test it with a DMM. Adjustable power supplies need to be adjusted to 5V before they will be connected to the DAC.

- Don't start this project if you are inexperienced either with mains voltage, transformers, correct grounding, soldering, SMD parts, electricity/electronics or audio in general.

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd June 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:41 PM   #87

Of course I was too late to edit my post but saying "aluminum, steel, copper or whatever" for shielding could be just enough for 20+ pages on what material is best for shielding. In my experience steel and aluminum will be OK.

BTW I was busy encasing one of the prototypes and maybe it gives some impression how things can be done regarding the power supply. Take the picture with a grain of salt as the wiring is not done yet. Electrical fundamentalists will see that a single pole switch is used and no PE grounding is used while the case is made from metal. Don't do that, this is a prototype that looks too good for a prototype. I know AndrewT will tick on my fingers but I would like to advise to use PE on the casing and to have the electronics "floating" so no connection of audio GND to PE. This case will probably be fitted with a 3 pin IEC C13 or "Euro" connector with the PE pin connected to the middle connection of the Metway connector block so that the case will be grounded.

The secondary wiring of the transformer is finished with yellow isolated cable shoes like it should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.jpg (894.6 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd June 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:41 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Can I use a 12 V supply?
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:46 PM   #89

You can use a 50V shunt supply with russian teflon caps if you like but don't be surprised if your DAC will stay eternally silent

Since someone connected it straight to a transformer I just know I have to be repeating that it needs 5V DC ... let alone that questions will arise if it can be used with LiPo batteries (that are 3.7V).....

Last edited by jean-paul; 2nd June 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:15 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

thanks Jean-Paul. i will look forward to the completed BOM

Hide this!Advertise here!