ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy - Page 66 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2013, 10:16 PM   #651
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi not harsh but in safety we should not go the easy way.

1) Wiring is unsafe because there are uninsulated wires
Comment -

a. No shrink wrap.
b. many 115 V wires that can be touched as they stick out of their connector without sleeve
c. mains carrying wires soldered to each other or to a blank copper wire and then in to the connector without insulating cable pins like the ones on the picture. Bad one.

2) Wires unsuitable for 120v
Comment - Thought it was solid core 90 V PVC wire from the look of it. Sorry if I got it wrong. Flexible cabling breaks a lot less easy than solid core cabling....An IEC receptacle with insulated faston/Amp connectors would be a tad nicer and again less risk for touching mains carrying wiring.

3) Transformer input should be position right next to the AC input.
Comment - DC picks up nasty signals less easy than AC. I would keep AC wiring short so it is away from the PCBs and/or electronics.

4) DC output from PS board is too close to the AC wiring.
Comment - OK if the picture gives a wrong impression. Still I would turn the power supply PCB 90 degrees to the left and I would move the DAC PCB to the left somewhat. You will have both transformers and their primaries close to each other and the IEC receptacle and far away from audio signals carrying wiring and electronics. Less possible hum and a smaller spot where 115 V is around.

5) DACs must be built in a metal chassis for shielding.
Comment - Building electronic devices in a metal casing is not just an idea that can be heard but it is simply good practice in electronics (certainly with an onboard 50 MHz oscillator). I know wooden cases can sound different and in most of the cases better (oops what am I confessing here) but even then I would shield sensitive stuff. Before you know it you will be dipping caps in bees wax !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 339204.jpg (5.7 KB, 848 views)

Last edited by jean-paul; 4th March 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 4th March 2013, 11:37 PM   #652
diyAudio Member

Jean-paul,
As far as shielding does an aluminum case offer any benifit, or is a case made from ferous materials better?
Thanks
Bill
Old 5th March 2013, 06:48 AM   #653
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Tough one and I am no expert in choosing the right material. Aluminum offers little magnetic shielding (it shields RF) but it is the most easy material to work with. Steel is fine too as it shields RF and it offers magnetic shielding. Steel is better than aluminum but it is heavier, tougher to work with and it needs painting. I use aluminum a lot but I shield internal stuff with mumetal when I can. Other metals like copper (one of the best materials for EMI shielding) are too expensive or impractical to work with as they are soft, sensitive to fingerprints, corrosion etc. (for me at least so this is a personal choice).

You can put the electronics in a small metal casing that can be built in a wooden/plastic case. A case in a case so to speak. It gives the advantage that you can make the case exactly like you want it to look and the device is shielded. Wooden cases look very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding

Last edited by jean-paul; 5th March 2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 5th March 2013, 03:39 PM   #654
diyAudio Member

For my phono circuits with mc inputs with hi gain I have used the thin mu metal on the inside, I wonder if coper screen would be as effective? Maybe some one knows how tight the mesh would have to be to block the wavelength we are looking for.

Bill

Last edited by wirewiggler; 5th March 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 21st April 2013, 09:08 PM   #655
diyAudio Member

Hello All,

I got one rev 2.6 board for sale ($8+shipping). Anyone who interest can send me a PM.

Thanks.
Old 22nd April 2013, 05:46 AM   #656
viki_v2 is offline viki_v2  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranigma View Post
Hello All,

I got one rev 2.6 board for sale ($8+shipping). Anyone who interest can send me a PM.

Thanks.
Is this the latest board, Then I will take them.
Old 9th May 2013, 05:45 AM   #657
zany is offline zany  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranigma View Post
Hello All,

Thanks.
Hi, pm sent.
Old 16th May 2013, 02:34 AM   #658
diyAudio Member

Ok, got the board... will start ordering parts soon, but need an ES9023 chip. Does anyone have a spare they are willing to part with?
Old 16th May 2013, 03:43 AM   #659
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I have four extra es9023. For selling all, I will sell for US$21 including shipping. For selling one, it is US$9 including shipping. Pm to me if you want to buy. There is also on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TekDevice-...item5af14eaf3e
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ess.jpg (428.7 KB, 407 views)

Last edited by Nanoloop; 16th May 2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 16th May 2013, 03:55 AM   #660
diyAudio Member

pm sent.

Hide this!Advertise here!