ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy - Page 65 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2013, 07:06 PM   #641
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

No, 100 uF for decoupling the positive supply pin and 1 uf for decoupling the negative supply.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:10 PM   #642
mickie is offline mickie  Germany
diyAudio Member

Ok, thanks.

Mickie
Old 17th January 2013, 08:14 PM   #643
mickie is offline mickie  Germany
diyAudio Member

Oh,...one more question Jean Paul: Which is your favorite cap for cn/cp?
Old 17th February 2013, 02:12 AM   #644
palmito is offline palmito  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post
Hi,
My second version, I changed the :
C10 BG 1uF NX
C31 Oscon 100uf 16V
C10B Oscon 100uf 16V
C12 BG 1uF NX
C14,C15 RealCap 6200pF (sold out on 4200pF)
C9,C32 changed to 2.2uf large file cap (MusicCap)
C8 changed to Tant 47uf 10V

To me, C9 and C32 made a big different. try it if you have time.
I've got mine playing with:
C16, C10B & C31 Oscon 100uf 20V
C14,C15 4700pf 63v WIMA film
C9 100uf 25v Panasonic FM
C32 1uf 50v Silmic II

I like the sound a lot, but find the high end has very good detail but sounds a bit recessed. I didn't assemble the spdif stuff since I'm using an Amanero USB with it. The PS is the group buy one. Any suggestions to add a bit more of presence to the highs?

syklab, C9 & C32 made the most difference when going to big film cap, or any change in electrolytic cap (I was thinking of going to 10uf Cerafine)?
Old 17th February 2013, 05:35 AM   #645
diyAudio Member

Hi, I don't see anywhere the schematic of this project so I wonder in what position are C9 and C32 ? Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:49 AM   #646
palmito is offline palmito  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxury54 View Post
Hi, I don't see anywhere the schematic of this project so I wonder in what position are C9 and C32 ? Thanks
You can see the positions here

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

I think the schematic was mailed only to the people in the group buy.
Old 4th March 2013, 02:42 AM   #647
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default another one working

I've finished building a 2nd DAC from the v2.6 Subbu DAC boards. The 1st build was shown in post # 560 and used a point to point wired PS for the DAC consisting of an LM317 preregulator and FET cap multiplier for the DAC. I also hand wired a JG buffer and +-15v supply.

This build used the JP/Subbu PS for the DAC and the Xen Audio JG buffer board. Power supply for the JG buffer is handwired using LT1963 to give +-15v.

It's still burning in, so it's too early to make any comments on sound quality vs. the first build. When first powered on it sounded a bit strident but after running for 24 hours or so, it's smoothing out and sounds quite similar to the 1st build. I'll wait a few more days before making any final judgements.

Attached is a picture of the latest build, which is housed in an ABS plastic box from Poly case with dimensions 222mm x 146mm x 55mm.

---Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GB Subbu JP JG.jpg (557.1 KB, 387 views)
Old 4th March 2013, 05:34 AM   #648
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Sorry but the 115 V mains wiring is not done in a safe way (uninsulated wires, wires not suitable for 115 V etc. Where's AndrewT when you need him ?). You better position the mains connections of boards near the IEC receptacle. The mains switch is already at the backside so things could have been done better with shorter wiring. The 5 V output is very close to the mains connector too.

A metal case is better for shielding ! In fact the DAC should be in a metal case as it has a 50 MHz oscillator in it and the DAC itself does not like cell phone RF noise from the outside world too. Shielding works two ways.

Last edited by jean-paul; 4th March 2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 4th March 2013, 09:06 AM   #649
diyAudio Member

I have seen LM723 psu schematic used for dac board somewhere here maybe at another thread but I couldn't find it again. Can you post the link or schematic via PM please?

Thanks.
Old 4th March 2013, 02:44 PM   #650
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Sorry but the 115 V mains wiring is not done in a safe way (uninsulated wires, wires not suitable for 115 V etc. . . .). You better position the mains connections of boards near the IEC receptacle. The mains switch is already at the backside so things could have been done better with shorter wiring. The 5 V output is very close to the mains connector too . . .
JP,
Thanks for the feedback . . . although it does seem a bit harsh. To be sure that I understand it completely, I hope it's OK if I ask a few questions and make a few comments of my own. You make the following points:

1) Wiring is unsafe because there are uninsulated wires
Comment - the only uninsulated wires are the exposed terminals on the IEC connector for AC and the wires connecting the 2 halves of the DPST switch together. Is your point that I should use shrink wrap to cover any place that carries 120v? If so, then guilty as charged. I don't normally operate the DAC without the top cover so I had considered that protection sufficient.

2) Wires unsuitable for 120v
Comment - I don't understand this one. All of the wires that I use that carry 120v have insulation rated at 600v. Is there some other parameter or type of wire that I should look for. In addition, any wire carrying any high voltage is positioned to be relatively far away from any other wire so the insulation isn't tested.

3) Transformer input should be position right next to the AC input.
Comment - I might look and see if I can find an alternate layout. There is always a compromise between finding the shortest signal wires, the shortest DC supply wires, and the shortest AC wires. I prioirtized short signal wires and short DC wires over the shortest AC wires. In your experience, should having the shortest AC wires be the highest priority?

4) DC output from PS board is too close to the AC wiring.
Comment - the perspective of the photo makes this seem worse than it is in real life. When viewed from a different angle, one can see there is a decent spacing.

5) DACs must be built in a metal chassis for shielding.
Comment - I've heard this idea but my experience has been that DACs don't seem to be that sensitive to the chassis material. The DACs work and sound fine even when breadboarded, i.e. sitting in open space. Even with a metal chassis, unless one is very careful, it's quite easy for signals to leak in and out.

Once again, I appreciate the dialog, even when not 100% positive.

---Gary

Hide this!Advertise here!