ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy - Page 63 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 01:22 PM   #621
diyAudio Member

Phil
thank you for useful reply
you have done fabulous job with that GB
I see that there Is MLCC Taio Yuden caps for C19/22/26/29
are these replacement upgrade

also C8 In original BOM Is 1 uF and tantalum Is 4,7 uF

Last edited by samoloko; 4th January 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 01:30 PM   #622
diyAudio Member

You're welcome

You're right, first qualified parts were MLCC caps.
As specified in MIC5205 specs, Tantalum are prefered to avoid oscillations at the output.
Don't worry about C8, put 4.7uF, it's fine and gives better results.

Phil
Old 4th January 2013, 01:47 PM   #623
diyAudio Member

thank you
are you happy with your build
how does sound
do you use original PSU or something exotic
Old 4th January 2013, 02:18 PM   #624
diyAudio Member

Yes very happy, but I've to move house soon, so packing my DIY stuff is on the way.
It sounds very very good, I've compared V2.6 with an Opus DAC, and to me in my configuration, it's a real improvement.
I've used both the original PSU and Gold Minireg, but can't tell the one which is the best.
More to come soon I hope
Old 5th January 2013, 08:27 AM   #625
diyAudio Member

has anyone measured how much mA Is actual consumption of dac pcb v2.6
Old 6th January 2013, 07:34 PM   #626
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
BTW with that number of buyers, if you need any help with distribution - let me know. Would be happy to help.
Probably can take UK as an area.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:55 AM   #627
diyAudio Member

Default Impression about JP and Subbu ESS9023 DAC

I owe this impression to JP since I got this DAC 3+ months ago. Since then I feel guilty almost every day for not able to give the impression sooner. Really is the nature of my day to day work does not allow me easily to spare a time to work on it. On the week end, I feel guilty if I used it for my own fun and neglect my family after they missed me the whole week. Then my father in law health problem in the past 3 months also contribute as well to this situation. Anyway..., after such a long time, last week end I managed to build the chain and try. So JP, the impression is... ...
Old 7th January 2013, 05:56 AM   #628
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoloko View Post
has anyone measured how much mA Is actual consumption of dac pcb v2.6
50 to 70 mA depending on the type of XO used. So you will need a 200 VA transformer for the power supply

dw1narso, family comes first so don't feel sorry. I am glad you like the DAC. AFAIK I sent you my own DAC then. It should be a very good sounding version with BG caps ?!

Last edited by jean-paul; 7th January 2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:58 AM   #629
diyAudio Member

OK..., it is not supposed to be that short actually... , but my post above really show what I feel about this JP and Subu's DAC.

Currently I have no speaker (stereo speaker I mean) after my two speaker systems each have one channel dead; too bad I know... but unfortunately they could not be mixed... to differ on sensitivity with one 93db and 86dB on the other one. So, the best I could use is my headphone system below:

Click the image to open in full size.

WinXP with Fidelizer with Foobar 0.8.3 -> Luckit WaveIO async USB to S/PDIF -> JP/Subbu's DAC -> HiFiMe T2 (rev 1) Tripath Tk2050 -> HeadDirect/Hifiman HE-5LE orthodynamic/planar headphone.

The Wave IO and JP DAC is powered through SLA battery (12V, LM317 regulated to 5V). The Wave IO is also conencted to my PC only using the USB data pins, the power is taken directly from the regulator.
The T2 is powered by Meanwell S-350-36 36Volt.

This modest system (except the headphone) acquisition actually happen since I made known each of them from DIYAudio forum. So, thank you DIYAudio forum for enable me to get this very high quality audio in very limited budget. The HE5LE headphone was in heavily used condition with one arm already broken and replaced with DIY metal rod. This HE5LE is the very unit that is reviewed on headfonia.com; it has traveled to many hands before settled down to me 6 month ago.

I compare JP DAC with Monica II (NOS TDA1545A, async reclocked, with blackgate N coupling caps). Monica has a smooth, a little laidback and non-intrusive sound, but with [big] compromise in dynamic; thus sometimes it sounded reserved, a little dull and flat. Monica has been my main DAC in the past 8 years. JP DAC on the other hand sounded dynamic, powerfull, not-laid back but also not-that-forward, lively, while still being smooth. JP DAC also able to retreive much more details and sound definition (body of sound) without having to sound analytical.

With JP DAC now, I could easily discern Foobar 0.8.3 and the later versions (0.9.x, 1.1.x, etc.) and finally could understand why some people said that Foobar 0.8.3 is still considered as the best Foobar. The difference is not small..., with JP DAC, Foobar 0.8.3 really show its class on showing smallest nuance that was only noticable with newer Foobars (newer foobar sound more veiled, mufled and sound separation is inferior to 0.8.3). With Monica, I could hear the difference between Foobar versions, but not as this contrast/much as with JP DAC. I supposed that JP DAC is much more transparent compared to Monica. JP, your DAC win my heart now and would become my reference DAC from now on.

One more closer picture showing the DAC and the other parts...

Click the image to open in full size.

I haven't yet try to connect WaveIO to JP DAC using I2S. That would be my next target; I supposed it would take me next few weeks before I could make it.

One last note... One may think that the old CS8414 reciever and TDA chipset on on Monica cannot be compared to the modern WM8804 on JP DAC. But in my experience, Monica respond/show only little difference between different transport. The async relocker on Monica almost always sucessfully hide jitter difference between different transport. Monica is well executed and always sound smooth to me. But I supposed JP implementation of ESS9023 is also well thought and the modern DAC now is taking the lead. Besides, JP DAC that I have is his 1st version with some blackgate caps in the board, build by himself. So, this is the very unit that JP himself know how it should be build and tuned to sound.
Old 7th January 2013, 06:55 AM   #630
diyAudio Member

just realized that the pictures did not come up properly....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg system.jpg (141.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg closer.jpg (132.1 KB, 190 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!