ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2012, 05:31 AM   #601
diyAudio Member

Default More photos of my Subbu S/PDIF DAC build

I thought I'd share my implementation of the DAC. It's part of a preamplifier/ control center containing an Elliott Sounds Products (ESP) preamplifier, ESP active X-over, ESP 15V power supply and a Twisted Pear USB DAC. It's enclosure, made by me from aluminum sheet metal, is above some fuses and power wires. I'm using a TOSLINK input module powered by the 9V battery. Notice my Velleman benchtop power supply sitting on top of the case. Of course, this is temporary until the power supply boards arrive.

The sound? I'm listening to Windows lossless files through my computer. I'm using Carlos Mergulhao's DX Blame driving a pair of Vandersteen 3's.
I don't have a good reference to which to compare it, as my Twisted Pear mysteriously stopped working months ago, and I've gotten accustomed to my computer's analog out.

First thing I noticed was that sound was a bit muffled and lacked detail - maybe rolled off at the highs a bit? Next thing I noticed was that many notes and drums seem to have more "punch" like maybe a faster attack. Then I noticed a big improvement in channel separation. It's hard to give subjective impressions when I'm accustomed to listening to bad (computer's analog out) sound, and don't have anything good to which to compare it. Also, note that I still haven't replaced C8 or C19 yet.

That's it for me! I'm looking forward to the power supply boards!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg in preamp open.JPG (267.3 KB, 895 views)
File Type: jpg in preamps closed.JPG (195.1 KB, 862 views)

Last edited by ByronInPortland; 10th October 2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10th October 2012, 09:11 AM   #602
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
First thing I noticed was that sound was a bit muffled and lacked detail - maybe rolled off at the highs a bit?
Hmm...
Old 10th October 2012, 09:51 PM   #603
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Not something I recognize of the Subbu DAC but, as said before, it needs some time to break in.
Old 12th October 2012, 06:18 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

Just a quick note: Mouser is out of the oscillator (Crystek Corp #C3391-50.000) and doesn't expect shipping until November 7. The 4.99KR resistor (Panasonic #667-ERA-6AEB4991) which I think is for the power supply is also out of stock, and is expected to ship Nov 12.

There are just too many of us, and we're depleting the world's supply of components!
Old 16th October 2012, 09:59 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

Your'e right, 50MHz oscillators are out of stock, estimated delivery November 6.
Don't worry about resistors, substitutes are available
Old 17th October 2012, 06:34 AM   #606
diyAudio Member

Hi, I added myself to the "magic spreadsheet" for 1 board and DAC cause I'm curious to test this great DAC that so many are satisfied with;
Thanks goes to the designers Jean Paul & Subbu and the organizer who makes possible for us to participate in this group-buy!
Old 17th October 2012, 08:04 AM   #607
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben69 View Post
Your'e right, 50MHz oscillators are out of stock, estimated delivery November 6.
Don't worry about resistors, substitutes are available
There should be enough of Euroquartz XO91 50mhz available from element14 if we need alternative, it is listed for US$5.65 each.

50.000MHZ XO91050UITA - EUROQUARTZ - OSC, 5X7MM, SMD, CER, 50.000MHZ | Farnell United Kingdom
Old 19th October 2012, 09:01 PM   #608
diyAudio Member

Finally built one of my dacs (been unwell). It's fantastic . Have it running straight into my power amp via a penny & giles pot , currently powered by a temporary 5v linear supply . Fed by an original a8t cd player - this dac wipes the floor with the output stage built into the cd player . About to give it a whirl with my squeezebox touch . A massive thank you to Subbu and jean Paul. Superb fidelity at a knock down price . Power amp is a doug self 30w trimodal , which is only ever in class a . Speakers are sd acoustics sd5r , if anyone is interested ! Back to the music ... Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th October 2012, 09:03 PM   #609
diyAudio Member

Oh and a massive thank to you Phil (korben) - building was easy due to the well arranged bag of parts . Thanks again. DIY audio at its best
Old 19th October 2012, 09:10 PM   #610
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post
There should be enough of Euroquartz XO91 50mhz available from element14 if we need alternative, it is listed for US$5.65 each.

50.000MHZ XO91050UITA - EUROQUARTZ - OSC, 5X7MM, SMD, CER, 50.000MHZ | Farnell United Kingdom
Hi I have used those with good results. They consume way less power than the Fox types and thus stress the power supply less. I don't have any measurement equipment to measure jitter but I like them.

Hide this!Advertise here!