ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2012, 09:50 PM   #431
diyAudio Member

For sure, it's the same cap
The BAL version uses 1xMIC5205 3.6V + 2xMIC5205 3.3V as described in the Build Guide.
BTW, 1 output cap is required for each regulator as specified.
I place the order tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 01:33 AM   #432
diyAudio Member

The TOSLINK is just a TOSLINK to S/PDIF converter: photons to electrons. TOSLINK Optical Input to S/PDIF Module | eBay I measured output as 1V peak-to peak, seen in the oscilloscope trace included in the photo.

If I can't use a 9V battery for a power supply I'll just wait for my Velleman kit to come in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testing SPDIF 1.jpg (367.6 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg TOSLINK out on oscilloscope.jpg (95.8 KB, 444 views)
Old 29th August 2012, 01:43 AM   #433
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronInLawrence View Post
The TOSLINK is just a TOSLINK to S/PDIF converter: photons to electrons. TOSLINK Optical Input to S/PDIF Module | eBay I measured output as 1V peak-to peak, seen in the oscilloscope trace included in the photo.

If I can't use a 9V battery for a power supply I'll just wait for my Velleman kit to come in.
Can you take a better picture of the dac? Check the input and output voltage on each regulator.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:52 AM   #434
diyAudio Member

got one board working

ian's reclcoker as input, salas bib as power supply

I burnt the other board so I cannot complete the balanced mode.

lessons learned (especially when dealing with smd components):

1) don't populate everything and then start testing. this is what I did with the first board and could not find cause of failure. started desoldering and some traces were pulled off. this board is bricked

2) populate sections and test individually. In this case, the regulators can be populated and tested. once measurements are acceptable, solder the L components to each section I did this for the second board for the regs for dac and clock sections.

Thanks for this board as this is probably my best cost-effective dac ever built. Sound is very detailed and precise. Wish I had another board to test with balanced config. NOt using the spdif input section as you can see.

If ever there is a second board designed, please allow for external clock support.

Note: if anybody has an extra board to sell, please let me know.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaIMG_1429.jpg (1.02 MB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg aaaIMG_1433.jpg (912.1 KB, 401 views)
Old 30th August 2012, 01:28 PM   #435
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by necplusultra View Post
got one board working

ian's reclcoker as input, salas bib as power supply

I burnt the other board so I cannot complete the balanced mode.

lessons learned (especially when dealing with smd components):

1) don't populate everything and then start testing. this is what I did with the first board and could not find cause of failure. started desoldering and some traces were pulled off. this board is bricked

2) populate sections and test individually. In this case, the regulators can be populated and tested. once measurements are acceptable, solder the L components to each section I did this for the second board for the regs for dac and clock sections.

Thanks for this board as this is probably my best cost-effective dac ever built. Sound is very detailed and precise. Wish I had another board to test with balanced config. NOt using the spdif input section as you can see.

If ever there is a second board designed, please allow for external clock support.

Note: if anybody has an extra board to sell, please let me know.

regards
Hi what is ians reclocker ? It should not be a surpise that first soldering the regs and surrounding parts and then test it is normal procedure. Anyhow you got it working.

There won't be a new group buy revision with external clock support, sorry. And to be honest I don't see the benefit of added wiring, power supply and all problems that come with it. Choose the best XO that you can find and solder it to the board and you're done.

I am glad you like it !
Old 30th August 2012, 01:36 PM   #436
diyAudio Member

Ian's reclocker ia an i2s fifo dedvice

thread:

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

J-P: is there any way I can get another board.

thanks again for this GB. its working fabulously.
Old 31st August 2012, 03:41 AM   #437
diyAudio Member

love my DAC.. still going to wait a bit longer before building a balanced version. But it would be nice if another group buy happened so we could buy more boards.
Old 31st August 2012, 05:42 AM   #438
diyAudio Member

Can i have Build Guide, even i don't participate in this GB?

Didiet
Old 4th September 2012, 09:23 PM   #439
diyAudio Member

Hi
Maybe it's time to open a new thread for the ES9023 builders.
We could post our technical questions there.
I've begun mine, soldering DAC chip and MICs, that's all for tonight.
Your opinion ?

Phil
Old 4th September 2012, 09:40 PM   #440
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Do if you like but much has already been covered here. Readability is not optimal in a big thread so I understand what you're heading at. I will try to participate in a new thread but in a few weeks I will be busy with other issues and I will be working on a new (even better ) design when time permits.

I guess not many new technical issues will arise. The design is proven to be reasonably easy to build, it is good functioning and very good sounding. Time to move on. We tried to do our best to make this possible but made some errors while doing so. Sorry for that. Enjoy the DAC !

Last edited by jean-paul; 4th September 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!