Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2012, 09:37 AM   #381
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Looking at your pictures I see that the SPDIF connector should have been at the same side of the board as the L/R connections. After having drawn multiple tens of versions (in months) there finally is a final version. Then, when you have the first example in your hand you think: that could have been designed better

Nice build. You do need to clean the PCB's with PCB cleaner. The flux only has negative effects when it stays on PCB's after soldering. What are the blue electrolytic caps (brand/type) ? The heatsink seems overrated and the fins are mounted the "wrong" way but nothing will go wrong with 70 mA load. You might want to try a 4.7 F tantalium cap for C8 too.

If I would be a USB user I would go from USB to I2S and not SPDIF. Just think of all the conversions back and forth again when going from USB to SPDIF and from SPDIF to I2S. It would not come as a surprise to me that there is a lot of difference in sound quality in USB to SPDIF devices but I am a USB-less person so I can not make any statements really... When DVI was introduced we were told that missing 2 conversion steps (D/A -> A/D) would result in a much better image quality. How disappointing it was when we did not see a difference...

The WM8804 is a well designed chip and it has a good PLL so it might be that is in practice better to use the USB to SPDIF converter connected to the SPDIF input of the DAC. Everything is possible.

Please can you test this and tell us the results ?
The blue caps are Vishay BC 470uf 35V, I have try 20uf - 100uf Silmic II, BG STD 47-100uf, BGN 47uf, Sanyo Oscon and I finally settled on the Vishay BC for the time being (personal taste).

I might not going to use the s/pdif from the USB interface, just the I2S for connecting to the dac but I will test the different between the 8804 s/pdiof and the CM6611 module.

I bought a bottle of PCB cleaner just too lazy to clean the flux.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:40 AM   #382
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The UCC is way better than any LT1083 or LM317 !

BTW Syklab, I would reroute the power cabling far from the XO. There is 50 MHz at that spot. In between the boards should be better.
Sure, will do that. Thanks.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:43 AM   #383
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You use 470 F for Vneg ?! OK, I was just going down in value. I made a DAC with 0.47 F BG NX Hi-Q for C32... I guess you have some offset for a longer time after powering it up ?
Old 26th August 2012, 09:47 AM   #384
diyAudio Member

JP,
After I have finished the 9023dac, I sold my W4S DAC2, all I got left are the 9023 and another AD1955.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:48 AM   #385
diyAudio Member

I agree the UCC is better than the LM317 for pre-regulation. I found the simple 780 regs outperform many costly and complex regs in the application of pre-regulation.

I just built a prototype of my ES9023/WM8804 DAC yesterday. The TI 780-05 is used as the pre-regulator.

Click the image to open in full size.

Comments are welcomed.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:49 AM   #386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You use 470 F for Vneg ?! OK, I was just going down in value. I made a DAC with 0.47 F BG NX Hi-Q for C32... I guess you have some offset for a longer time after powering it up ?
I will check the offset. Let me try going down in value, I got some 1uf BG NX on hand.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by syklab; 26th August 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:30 AM   #387

Those are exactly what I want to try but can't find them anymore for normal prices. If you need other values: I am open for trade. Keep the wires a bit shorter. I use 10 F BG PK for the Vref. I have 4.7 F NX but did not try them there as values lower than data sheet values did not came in my mind. 100 F 6.3 V NX does it well for V+.

Marlowe, your build looks very good. You try to squeeze the best out of it by not using connectors and you are right but it will limit flexibility while experimenting. How does it sound ? As EUVL stated FKP/MKP do it good for the output filtering. Try a 4.7 F tantalium for C8 if you can. Twist the output wiring.

Needless to say maybe but after testing building it into a metal case would be optimal.

Last edited by jean-paul; 26th August 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:38 AM   #388
diyAudio Member

I can get BGN 1uf but nomore 10uf whatsoever. After changing to 1uf I noticed a gitch sound when change track. Will listen more.
Old 26th August 2012, 10:44 AM   #389

Please work ESD safe and ground yourself while working on the DAC. Had one dead ES9023 after soldering some time ago.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:00 AM   #390
diyAudio Member

Hi jean-paul,

All the wires are loosely twisted that makes the sound more natural and more relaxing to me.

I have an ES9022 DAC from EUVL and have done a series of tweaking on it. Both DACs share the same characteristic. To me, the tweaked EUVL 9022 is more musical and softer, and the prototype of Group Buy ES9023 is a bit cleaner. Both are very good DACs at all.

The output filter caps using in the tweaked ES9022 are the Relcap tin foil polystyrene, and they work perfectly for this situation (better than PP). I will try to install the Relcaps in the ES9023 as well.

I will try a 4.7uF tantalum cap for C8. Thanks.

Last edited by Marlowe; 26th August 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!