Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2012, 07:38 PM   #301
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

The notch is the top, pin 1 is top left on the PCB, i.e. the pin near C18 and R13.
The chip should be mounted with the "50 Mhz" letters on the edge side of the pcb, the ACV letters should be on the inner side of the pcb. Go back to a few page, Syklab has a picture that show the correct orientation of the OSC.

Good luck!!
Old 4th August 2012, 08:09 PM   #302
diyAudio Member

This is why I like diyaudio! you guys are the best!!! Q2 was wrong.... I'm listening to Michael Hedges pumping thru my DV336se (modded) to my Sennheiser HD650. sounds great... cant wait till it breaks in!!

forgot... thanks syklab and pchw for all your help!

many thanks to Subbu and JP for giving us this DAC.

*back to listening to music*

Last edited by diy_calderon; 4th August 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 6th August 2012, 02:04 AM   #303
diyAudio Member

Congratulation, and my turn to seek help :-)

I am getting no sound from my dac, but all voltages at the chip's
pins appeared to be on the spot. Any tip on how to test the WM and ESS
chip is dead or alive?

Attach a photo of the board to borrow another pair of eyes to see anything wrong.

TIA,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ESS9023.jpg (813.9 KB, 368 views)
Old 6th August 2012, 02:21 AM   #304
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi TIA,
Are you measuring from the regulator output pin or from the pin 7 and pin 19 from 8804 and
pin 5 on 9023?
Old 6th August 2012, 02:52 AM   #305
diyAudio Member

I checked from the 8804 and 9023 pins. I also followed the schematic to check the connectivities from each pin to the other components to make sure the pins are soldered solidly.

In the case of in need of replacing the 8804 and 9023, any suggested techniques to make this easier? This is my first solder my own smd project as well, so I can use all advise that I can get :-)
Old 6th August 2012, 07:43 AM   #306
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried using the twisted pear s/pdif transceiver's i2s output feeding to this DAC? I followed the silk screen for a balanced DAC minus JP2 and the components in the *optional section. But I dont get any output, I'm looking to test the board and make sure everything is kosher prior to adding the additional components.

And yes.. all the voltages at the regulators(IN/OUT) measure as expected, using my unbalanced version as reference.

thanks in advance
Old 6th August 2012, 02:01 PM   #307
diyAudio Member

Default did I miss the power supply group buy?

I haven't been keeping up on this thread. Did I miss the power supply group buy?! I hope not. I really wanted 2 of the power supplies.
Old 6th August 2012, 06:48 PM   #308
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

if someone needs two of these with the Sabre chips, I bought too many, and don't think I will get to this for sometime. So I will sell at cost I paid UNIXdeveloper for them. PM if interested.
Old 6th August 2012, 06:50 PM   #309
Reima is offline Reima  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
if someone needs two of these with the Sabre chips, I bought too many, and don't think I will get to this for sometime. So I will sell at cost I paid UNIXdeveloper for them. PM if interested.
I will take them.
RC
Old 6th August 2012, 06:59 PM   #310
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

This was never meant to be a beginners project but I truly admire the strong will to conquer SMD parts for a first project ! I see some soldering tips are needed.

Guys/gals, please do the following if you want your DAC to also look good without overheating parts:

- good old 60/40 leaded quality solder thinner or equal to 0.75 mm. Fluitin is a good quality solder.
- use angled tweezers to place the parts straight and not skewed. You won't burn your fingers as a bonus.
- solder the parts at one side and correct when it is still possible by moving the tweezers and heating the part at the same time.
- solder the other side of the part.
- use desoldering braid to remove excess solder.

You can solder all pins on one side of WM8804 in one turn (yes with some or even all pins shorted by solder!) and then remove excess solder with desoldering braid (also in one turn). Heat up the soldering braid beforehand and when it is hot you can suck all excess solder nicely away while moving the braid quickly over the IC pins with the soldering iron.

And ... please do not forget to give an impression of the sound quality of the DAC.

Last edited by jean-paul; 6th August 2012 at 07:17 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!