• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

I found this project for the first time. It looks interesting but I have few questions about pcb and schematic which i wasn`t able to find:

how much improvement gives separate power supply for each section : 2 for WM8804 and other for ES.

does the PCB for this project has separated ground plane for DGND and AGND?

Hi kopczas

Schematics are provided to GB buyer's, SPDIF PCB is now published.

Have a look there for the SPDIF version : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...-wm8804-spdif-power-supply-pcb-group-buy.html

I hope the I2S version to be available soon.

There are 5 LDO used (3.3 & 3.6v) MIC5205 for each section of the DAC.
Difficult to say how much improvment they give, and compare to what ?
I can say this DAC sounds pretty good, such as V2.6 does ;)
About separate ground plane (D & A) I prefer designers to give you the answer.

Regards

Phil

Hello korben,
is was thinking about externa,l complitly independent discrete power sources (with separate rectifiers) like super teddy reg etc.
Ok, I will ask somewhere else about separate groud planes(it`s one of the most important things; for me it`s obvious D & A ground should stand alone).

Thank you for your answer.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Good question as there are enough alternatives with ES9023 and I2S already. To be honest I am glad we have the SPDIF version ready at last. We will have to respond to this question shortly.

The BAL version was a Subbu only affair till now so I can not answer that one. I will ask Subbu for the BAL version.

Last edited:
Hi skouliki

C10 & R11 seems fine to me, close values.
C11 is different as I've got -2.20/1.25 vs -1.70/1.73 ; 0.5V lost somewhere, check it ;)
Is it due to Pin16 = 0v ? C11 seems to be a dedicated internal ES9023 cap.

ES9023 Pins
Pin1 -> R7______________Pin16 -> ?
Pin2 -> R8______________Pin15 -> R13
Pin3 -> R9______________Pin14 -> Gnd
Pin4 -> Gnd/C10_________Pin13 -> R12
Pin5 -> C10b+___________Pin12 -> Gnd
Pin6 -> R11/C9__________Pin11 -> C12/C32-
Pin7 -> R15/C15Gnd______Pin10 -> C11
Pin8 -> R14/C14Gng______Pin09 -> C11

Pin16 is 0v on your DAC, it seems to be faulty but on the scheme there is no connexion shown... :confused:
Your DAC values seems fine to me, except Pin16 and previous remark about C11.
Maybe someone more skilled than me could give an helping hand. :wave2:

HI Jean-Paul,

Nice to hear from you. My problem is similar to Skouliki, see above measurements. Not sure if Skouliki fixed his problem on his DAC.

I'm looking for the schematic since I can't find where C12 is connected? Based on the previous responses/threads, the C12 is soldered on the back of the pcb in parallel with C32, is that right? This is what I'm trying to find out but can't find the schematic. I also checked all the voltages based on Korben's measurement and it matched all of them except C11. I will try to dig in more tomorrow when I have time to find out the problem, but if you guys have the answer then I would greatly appreciate it.

Fred

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.