• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes very happy, but I've to move house soon, so packing my DIY stuff is on the way.
It sounds very very good, I've compared V2.6 with an Opus DAC, and to me in my configuration, it's a real improvement.
I've used both the original PSU and Gold Minireg, but can't tell the one which is the best.
More to come soon I hope ;)

Impression about JP and Subbu ESS9023 DAC

I owe this impression to JP since I got this DAC 3+ months ago. Since then I feel guilty almost every day for not able to give the impression sooner. Really is the nature of my day to day work does not allow me easily to spare a time to work on it. On the week end, I feel guilty if I used it for my own fun and neglect my family after they missed me the whole week. Then my father in law health problem in the past 3 months also contribute as well to this situation. Anyway..., after such a long time, last week end I managed to build the chain and try. So JP, the impression is... ... :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones: :hphones:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
has anyone measured how much mA Is actual consumption of dac pcb v2.6

50 to 70 mA depending on the type of XO used. So you will need a 200 VA transformer for the power supply ;)

dw1narso, family comes first so don't feel sorry. I am glad you like the DAC. AFAIK I sent you my own DAC then. It should be a very good sounding version with BG caps ?!

Last edited:
OK..., it is not supposed to be that short actually... :), but my post above really show what I feel about this JP and Subu's DAC.

Currently I have no speaker (stereo speaker I mean) after my two speaker systems each have one channel dead; too bad I know... but unfortunately they could not be mixed... to differ on sensitivity with one 93db and 86dB on the other one. So, the best I could use is my headphone system below:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

WinXP with Fidelizer with Foobar 0.8.3 -> Luckit WaveIO async USB to S/PDIF -> JP/Subbu's DAC -> HiFiMe T2 (rev 1) Tripath Tk2050 -> HeadDirect/Hifiman HE-5LE orthodynamic/planar headphone.

The Wave IO and JP DAC is powered through SLA battery (12V, LM317 regulated to 5V). The Wave IO is also conencted to my PC only using the USB data pins, the power is taken directly from the regulator.
The T2 is powered by Meanwell S-350-36 36Volt.

This modest system (except the headphone) acquisition actually happen since I made known each of them from DIYAudio forum. So, thank you DIYAudio forum for enable me to get this very high quality audio in very limited budget. The HE5LE headphone was in heavily used condition with one arm already broken and replaced with DIY metal rod. This HE5LE is the very unit that is reviewed on headfonia.com; it has traveled to many hands before settled down to me 6 month ago.

I compare JP DAC with Monica II (NOS TDA1545A, async reclocked, with blackgate N coupling caps). Monica has a smooth, a little laidback and non-intrusive sound, but with [big] compromise in dynamic; thus sometimes it sounded reserved, a little dull and flat. Monica has been my main DAC in the past 8 years. JP DAC on the other hand sounded dynamic, powerfull, not-laid back but also not-that-forward, lively, while still being smooth. JP DAC also able to retreive much more details and sound definition (body of sound) without having to sound analytical.

With JP DAC now, I could easily discern Foobar 0.8.3 and the later versions (0.9.x, 1.1.x, etc.) and finally could understand why some people said that Foobar 0.8.3 is still considered as the best Foobar. The difference is not small..., with JP DAC, Foobar 0.8.3 really show its class on showing smallest nuance that was only noticable with newer Foobars (newer foobar sound more veiled, mufled and sound separation is inferior to 0.8.3). With Monica, I could hear the difference between Foobar versions, but not as this contrast/much as with JP DAC. I supposed that JP DAC is much more transparent compared to Monica. JP, your DAC win my heart now and would become my reference DAC from now on.

One more closer picture showing the DAC and the other parts...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I haven't yet try to connect WaveIO to JP DAC using I2S. That would be my next target; I supposed it would take me next few weeks before I could make it.

One last note... One may think that the old CS8414 reciever and TDA chipset on on Monica cannot be compared to the modern WM8804 on JP DAC. But in my experience, Monica respond/show only little difference between different transport. The async relocker on Monica almost always sucessfully hide jitter difference between different transport. Monica is well executed and always sound smooth to me. But I supposed JP implementation of ESS9023 is also well thought and the modern DAC now is taking the lead. Besides, JP DAC that I have is his 1st version with some blackgate caps in the board, build by himself. So, this is the very unit that JP himself know how it should be build and tuned to sound.

just realized that the pictures did not come up properly....

Attachments

• system.jpg
    system.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 238
  • closer.jpg
    closer.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 258
50 to 70 mA depending on the type of XO used. So you will need a 200 VA transformer for the power supply ;)

dw1narso, family comes first so don't feel sorry. I am glad you like the DAC. AFAIK I sent you my own DAC then. It should be a very good sounding version with BG caps ?!

I build v 2.6 - first Impression are that It Is a very good at that price and size but still I preffer my pcm63 dac - more analogue sound

already bought 6 VA transformer

would you please tell us what Is exact output voltage that PSU V1 pcb output - Is not It better to be a little higher than 5 V

where do you recommend to place BG caps and what type In order of Importance

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Please wait a few days and leave it powered on. Then compare with PCM63. ES9023 needs some time to sound just right.

Please use a 5V DC power supply. The MIC5205 are LDO's that drop 165 mV max. at 150 mA current. So you need approximately 3.8 V as a very minimum at the input of the 3.6 V reg.... Measure what the voltage is at the input of the 3.6 V regulator if you like. If it is 4 V or more it is fine.

The BG caps are described elsewhere. I use BG NX HiQ at the closet spots near the chips. I ordered 1 uF Wima MKS2 for the charge pump and will try those if I get the opportunity.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi I read a lot too but it is true. Larger values electrolytic caps like 100 uF at that spot make the DAC perform somewhat better. Please mind that the bead in series in our DAC makes things even slightly better. Use low ESR caps and keep wiring short. Please don't use 470 uF with long wires for instance.

I use 47 uF BG NX HiQ for decoupling the power pin of ES9023 in most of my DACs as larger values don't fit (don't exist in NX as well ;)) and I liked the 47 uF BG better than larger values of other brands (like 100 uF 25 V Pana FM I frequently use).

In my most recent V2.6 I use BG 100 uF N series and 1 uF N series for decoupling the negative pin. Haven't listened to that one yet. Syklab is the one that pointed me in that direction. He tried that combination.

Despite the voodoo like proportions, myth and vague information around BG I still think NX HiQ are the best. Too bad they are so hard to find. In V3 we try new caps as BG are rare now, even fakes seem to be around and prices are like prices of bread in WW2. We will disclose in detail what we tried after prototypes of V3 are tested.

Last edited:
Hi,
My First version:
Both C10,C11 I use ECPU1C105MA5 PPS 1uf 16V
C12 BG 1uF NX
C9,C32 changed to 2.2uf large file cap (MusicCap) ans have mount them off board
C8 changed to Oscon 470uf 25V

My second version, I changed the :
C10 BG 1uF NX
C31 Oscon 100uf 16V
C10B Oscon 100uf 16V
C12 BG 1uF NX
C14,C15 RealCap 6200pF (sold out on 4200pF)
C9,C32 changed to 2.2uf large file cap (MusicCap)
C8 changed to Tant 47uf 10V

To me, C9 and C32 made a big different. try it if you have time.

Cheers

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi syklab, I found Wima MKS2 1 uF in 2.5 mm pitch (same as electrolytic caps) and will try those for C9, C11 and C32 but focus is on V3 for now.

ECPU1C105MA5 PPS 1uf 16V is a very good choice. I prefer those over MLCC/ceramic caps.

Still I would use 4700 pF for C14 and C15.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.