• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a lucky guy Jean Paul, my ES9023 works damn excellent !!!
I've got a faulty CD Player SPDIF output... the ES9023 "Subbu DAC" is sounding perfectly fine :cool: :cool: :cool:
I'll post some impressions later.
I'll let it burn a little until tomorrow listening to Gregory Porter :)
Many thanks to you and Subbu :drink:

Last edited:
Greetings,

reading JP's comments a few posts back, I am happy to know that he is openning a door for GB rev3. I've been listenning to this dac and I must admit, it sounds lovely. Probably the best price/performance device I have built. If I understand this correctly, its up to us builders to get interest high enough to get 150 units on a list and then pm JP with the order. As JP said, this is too good to let this die. I wanted to build a balanced version but I unfortunately burnt one of my boards. The other one board I built is so good that I am willing to get involved in this GB. (Just to have a chance to complete the balanced version)

I am willing to start the ball rolling. Anyone interested can PM me so we can coordinate a new spreadsheet.

thanks again JP and Subu.

Hi Jean Paul

My Subbu DAC is working perfectly fine, feeded with a GoldMiniReg 5V, waiting for the "Official PSU".

As told in the Parts GB thread, I find the output level strong, a lot of details and great deepness in the sound stage, bass registry has got muscle and is sustained, far from being aggressive treble are very thin, and set spin top without harshness.
I'm listening to it with an UGS as a pre, bi-amped with UCD180ST and Mini-A, all balanced.
Subbu DAC came in SE mode and UGS convert it to Balanced.
Next step : Balanced version...

As told necplusultra, I think it's time to create a new spreadsheet for V3 GB.
I've got some PM in this view, people seem to be a little bit lost

Hi Korben.
My psu is a Salas V1.0 and my source is a Pionner PD D6 J. I have attached a pic. Any suggestions are welcome

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 413
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Normal procedure while/after assembling: measure the voltages of the regs first and then solder chips... Use desoldering wick.braid to remove excessive solder. Clean the board. Then check for soldering shorts with a magnifying glass and continue...

Procedure when things are done differently and it does not work: check the PCB for shorts (between pins of ICs) with a magnifying glass and please measure voltages of regs and check if the XO gives pulses with a scope.

You have a big chance that the WM8804 is fried but I keep my fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The hint we gave repeatedly long ago is to feed it 5 V DC 250 mA. I know the quality of Salas regs but I doubt if they make a significant difference here since the Subbu DAC has 4 onboard regs which do the work. They would make a difference if they would be small onboard versions (is that possible ?) but the PCB would be several times larger then. Small size and short tracks do matter in this design.

Thanks necplusultra, you are right about the flux. I see it so often that I stopped bothering ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.