• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Never understood what the sense is in converting USB to SPDIF when you have a DAC with SPDIF ?!? From one flawed interface to the other and things are supposed to be better then ? Unnecessarily complex, expensive and totally superfluous.

When the dreaded USB is a must better design a asynchronous USB DAC without all that conversions. Firewire would be OK but it is too complex for me and as with all good standards it dies first. It seems nobody uses it anymore. Pity.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Please explain why I would need a device that converts USB to I2S when DACs exist that have asynchronous USB input ? You see I am hopelessly old fashioned and like things to be simple and effective. Can't help it.

Next thing they ask is to design a DAC that (god forbid) can be operated with an app...

Last edited:
My DIY hobby started too late, my BG's are limited to a few PK's (26 x new 47uf/25v) and std's (16 x K-series, 100uF/50V) that are all soldered to LM3886 boards that never finished and powered up :eek: These K-series are virtually new with shorten leads. Maybe time to desolder them off the Chipamp.com boards and repurpose them ......

At this point, I will have to pay big $$ + risk of fakes for the more exotic BG's OR DIY within means (does it sound political!!). Seriously, it is a little hard to justify to pay almost the cost of the rest of the parts of this dac for one cap. But never say never with this hobby :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Wow that is a guy that knows how to squeeze his customers. One 47/6.3 NX HiQ for $ 29.95. Boy oh boy. I should have bought more when they were still available but even then the thought was that they were too expensive. I recall the price in 2004 was 4 Euro for a NX 47/6.3..... That price only went up in the next years. My NX will be gone soon but at least I have one Subbu DAC with BG NX.

JP... no objections on naming our DAC "Subbu DAC" :).

Cheers...
Subbu

Good, I will ask the mods to have the threads renamed.

Last edited:
Attached pic shows C32 correct position on the PCB. (red)
Have a look at the Tantalum caps as they are polarized too. (yellow)

Phil

Attachments

• DAC PCB HR 50 C32.jpg
    DAC PCB HR 50 C32.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 338
Disabled Account
Joined 2002

so, JP, can you sum up which capacitors you replaced in the end with Black Gates for optimum results?

Mickie

It's all here and repeating is useless. I don't replace but use BG in all my own final version DACs. Call it a system if you like.

Prototypes/left over DACs/Test versions have other caps as BG is not a cap you put in every device as they are expensive.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well, just suppose the COO and me would be willing to do another round of a total final ultimate end 2012 version rev 3 Subbu DAC how many of you would be wanting a PCB set ? Suppose we get fed up by all the stuff that comes with organizing a next round and suppose one of you lurkers could make spread sheet to check demand. Suppose the COO and me make documentation, BOM and Build Guide first this time and do a thorough test round of all the ideas we have on a new rev. 3 and suppose we would only do it when at least 150 can be produced. Yes we learnt something from this all. Suppose we still don't do USB but SPDIF/I2S only, now suppose we offer this as a final PCB + ES9023 deal so DAC and PS possibly on one PCB + ES9023 chip. Call it the "final Subbu rev. 3 DAC"... As you all already have read this DAC is good, too good to let this project die because we need to have to do some less important things as work for a living, play with our kids, cook some food, clean our houses, wash the car, feed the dog, get some sleep etc etc.

Now think of what you can do to make this happen ...

We like this as we like good sound and we like to have members to have good DACs and thus good sound but we have lives too. If any of you can help us in whatever way we could be doing this but we will need to have to have a magical number of 150 produced.

Also we will not be giving any support. We will test, we will try out, we will listen but you are on your own solving problems you create building it into device X or connecting it to device Y feeding it from whatever 200 V DC shunt supply you "have laying around". No more USB to I2S converter questions, no more SPDIF to I2S to USB to SPDIF again questions.

Only then we could do this. I wait and see what happens. I can only promise it will be good without any guarantee it will be as good a DAC X, DAC Y etc.

We do the work, you get the joy but it will take some effort... I just wait and see what happens. If I can convince the COO you will have a good DAC. You can have a good DAC without having to buy from guys that don't even know what they're selling and a product that needs replacing of all active and passive parts as they're fake. Our DAC simply is a good DAC. It will give many years of pleasure. I just wait for 1 (no not many) just 1 email via PM that says: "yes we want that DAC and we want 150 of them, here's a list of guys/gals that want it".

So any of you that want this device mail with each other, send PM's to each other, organize stuff without bothering us and just tell us what I said before. Unconventional yes, but we think you want good sound and deserve it but it will take some effort also from the people that always seem to wait. Waiting ? For what ? Action is needed now as you will benefit from it !

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.