• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
There are no tube substitutes for WM8804 and ES9023 ;)

ES9023 needs no tube output stage unless you want coloured sound but then you could have used any other DAC. It has an opamp output stage already. Adding unneccessary stuff simply is adding unneccessary stuff. This DAC is very neutral with no harsh highs etc. I would strongly advise to first use the DAC as intended and after thorough evaluation decide on investing in adding extra stuff. I can only think of the filter Joachim Gerhard designed as a useful extra.

Since it has 2V output you could connect it via a 50 k potentiometer to a tube power amp if you like tube sound .....

Last edited:
Hello,

Does anyone have made THD spectrum measurement on the ES9023 DAC ?
It exist many thread about ESS Sabre DAC, but it seem that nobody has been
interested to do that.
Sure that i will do this as soon my DAC board will be mounted..

Oups ! finally, i've find this THREAD.

Frex

Last edited:
Using the parts in the BOM will save us from a lot pages solving possible issues. I think that is the reason BOMs are made.

Be glad you have Digikey over there and just order the parts there.

Good point. I don't want to be a troublemaker:devily: I'll just order the parts in the BOM from Digi-Key.

Any way i can add tubes to the DAC?
I assume that's a joke, right?:p

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Subbu, JeanPaul, are you going to provide a schematic after the bom?

We decided to send the schematic only to the participants since it has no use publishing it here. We have to deal things efficiently as we slowly realize what time this project took and will take. Of course we will try to support problems (but not generic stuff) of the people that bought a PCB + chip and we narrow it down to that group because we are a lousy bunch of egoists ;) You will receive the schematic if you are a participant of the group buy.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That is an incredible good guess, congratulations. I guess you have spiritual capabilities in the family ?

It may be a wise thing to build/arrange/borrow or steal (no don't do the latter) a power supply for the DAC. It will kill the time and things will be ready when the PCB arrives. A nice case will be handy too. Exaggeration is a bad thing but trust me that this DAC is a stayer and it deserves a nice case. Do you happen to know what a good case for the DAC is made of ?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That is a suitable transformer but a somewhat lower voltage would be nice (or coil in front of the first filter cap ?). Parallel the secondaries and find a nice regulator PCB with it. With your spiritual capabilities you will already know that the 7805 is not the best of the lot (I was reading your mind again). LM317 based power supplies are better and the good old 723 is one of the better in terms of noise and it can feed the DAC without pass transistor. My original plan was to make either a 723 based supply or a passive one with a 3V transformer, rectifier and very large caps + common mode coils + beads etc. A 3V transformer will give 4V or more at this load which should work out OK.

Anyway an OnSemi MC7805CTG based power supply should suffice as there are 4 good on board regs but since there is nearly no difference in price or complexity there is almost no excuse not to build a better supply.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Come on, LM723 only needs 6 external components and the DAC only consumes 50 mA to 70 mA (when you decide on a 50 MHz Fox oscillator) so no pass transistor. Maybe just maybe when you ask Subbu in a polite manner then maybe just maybe we can make a nice LM723 based power supply PCB. Don't tell him I gave you the idea, OK ? I kind of like the "new meets old" feeling of the WM8804-ES9023-LM723 combination. No rational explanation except for the very low noise of LM723 (2.5 uV !!!).

LM1084 is more noisy than 7805.....it is a 5A reg which seems overkill too.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.