• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Late to the party...

This project got sidetracked... life... back in the saddle. :D First smd project - enjoyed working with these little critters. Finished the boards except for receiver and dac chips. Waiting for chassis... will test voltages before chips are soldered. JP, just noticed your comments re ceramic output caps :( will replace later. Any comments welcome. :up:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Somebody shared the stuff of V3 against my wishes but since it is already there:

https://5ad7b68329ae8ddd591c555bf9d...hO6uSP2bQUJiRTI0MTZYQlU/maxidcx/Subbu Dac V3/

Please take note yours is a V2.6 which has different part numbers but it is very similar. It seems you soldered C32 in reverse ! I recall the + being wrong on the PCB. Measure it to be sure and replace the cap in case I am right. The pin it decouples has a negative voltage. Replace C8 for a tantalum 10 µF 10V or 16V. + to the upper side of the PCB. The ceramic caps after the MIC regs might make the regs oscillate, please use tantalums there.

After much investigation we also found out that it does not sound optimal without chips ;) BTW how will you be soldering those on the board now ?

Last edited:
Belated thanks for the advice Jean-Paul, especially regarding the chip requirements ;-) Chips soldered with an smd reflow workstation. Finally got this project finished. On power up, only getting sound out of right channel, left completely silent. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• subbudacv26v2.jpg
    subbudacv26v2.jpg
    991 KB · Views: 213
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I can not see the output wires well enough but it is not the 2 middle pins that are GND. It is output-GND-output-GND. *This was changed in V3*. You can see this easily when you turn the PCB upside down. Or measure continuity from the power supply GND to the 4 output pins.

My last V2.6 (all BG NX HiQ) went into service 2 weeks ago so I can not check exactly. It was a belated present but the owner and I were quite astonished how good it sounded. It was way better than a new Cambridge Bluray player anyway. In fact it was the best sounding of all DACs that were there. The owner said: "Well I think I am ready finding a good DAC" and I had a short moment thinking if I made the right decision going full digital ;-)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
First measure if the right output is shorted to GND (very thin solder whisker or something like that). Then if that is not the case you could play back a sinus test signal and measure straight at the output pin of the chip. This to check if there is a PCB track or via cut.

If the chip is OK it should be a simple issue.

Last edited:
Sweet music! :) Thank you Jean-Paul for your assistance. Traced signal from output pads back to output pin vias of dac chip - no signal. Cold solder joint on pin 8. Listened for a few hours last night, what a huge improvement on the Zero dac I have been using for the last few years. Respect to you and Subbu for a fantastic project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.