• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No it is a model that can only be bought in a shop in Iceland (sorry no web service) with a minimum quantity of 500 ;)

Seriously, I used a standard EI30 model but this still can change.

Palmito, L1 and L2 are the same value/type. The ones with asterisks are alternatives.

Last edited:
I spent few hours comparing this dac with my friend's EVS modded Pioneer D6 SACD/CD player including discrete output stage and linear power supply with standard regulators.The player puts out 2.5V so it was bit difficult to get the same level.Also it's stacked with BG nx caps!
First thing we noticed the bass was much deeper and pronounced with the Pio and sounded more forceful.I was bit disappointed at first.After 30 minutes the dac started to sing!The difference was obvious.It is much more neutral,detailed and open sounding than the Pio especially vocals sounded more coherent,words were easier to understand and was less sibilant.
Bass while less in quantity was more precise and easy to hear.I'm shore with the right PS and better transport it can sound even better!

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
question on R11

I've got a question for Jean Paul and/or Subbu.
I've been putting together the boards that I got from Subbu a couple of weeks ago. I ordered parts based on the BOM published about 2 weeks back and I notice that there are a few small differences between the current BOM and what I used.
My question is about R11 - the resistor that goes from pin 6 (Vreg) of the ES9023 to ground. The current BOM uses 130kohm while the parts I have on hand are 220Kohm per the original BOM. I've also seen discussions in another thread on the ES9023 where one builder suggested eliminating this resistor entirely and said that is a great improvement on the sound. I don't have a copy of the ES9023 datasheet, so I'm not sure if this is an important change or something I can safely ignore. So JP or Subbu - any advice on this part? Switch to the 130K per the current BOM or don't worry about it?

I've got the DAC more or less finished and a quick connection to an underpowered lab supply shows that it works but I won't give it a serious listen before building a proper power supply.
Thanks,
---Gary

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Gary,

R11 determines the output voltage of the DAC. 220K puts out a 1.9V and 130K puts out 2V. This was a change between ES9022 and ES9023.

Regards,
Subbu.

This needs some explanation I see. 130 kOhm (or less if you want less output voltage) should be used with 3.6 V on the DAC chip. 220 kOhm (or less if you want less output voltage) should be used when the DAC chip is fed 3.3 V. Indeed all this has to do with ES9023 being able to accept 3.6 V to reach full 2 V output voltage.

So:

- If you use the ES9023 on 3.6 V you should use 130 kOhm (or less if you want less output voltage).
- If you use the ES9023 on 3.3 V you should use 220 kOhm (or less if you want less output voltage).
- If you use ES9022 it can only be fed 3.3 V so 220 kOhm is advised (or less if you want less output voltage).

You can play with the values as long as you use lesser values otherwise clipping can occur. To keep things simple we advise to use data sheet values. There are reports that omitting the resistor altogether is an improvement but this is contrary to the data sheet and since I think the guys at ESS do very well know what they are doing I kept the resistor.

In any case read the data sheet first for facts !

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Shipping Update:
Items have been shipped to all the members except who decided to do a combined shipping with the PSU PCB. You should have received an email indicating the item has been shipped. The email has been sent to your email address used in payment.

Thanks!
Subbu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.