• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Roender's FC-100 Rev.1 Group-Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen,

last December METAL and I made up our mind and did our own layout for Mihai's (Roender's) FC-100 AMP.

This is Mihai's original thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/111756-rmi-fc100-single-stage-audio-power-amplifier.html

The reasons for our decision have been:

- the frontend of Mihai's FC-100 belongs to the best (!) designs I have ever seen in the AMP's world
- we had a couple of NJL - ThermalTrak - transistors at hand and wanted to use them on the backend

We offered our layout in a Group-Buy thread, but after some discussion have been asked to prototype
our PCB first before offering it to the community.

I ordered a couple of professionally etched prototype PCBs and ZSAUDIO and I built the prototypes.

http://www.abload.de/img/fc-100nduq1.jpg

The result:

An absolutely "rock-stable" amplifier playing at its best.

Two comments about its sound-quality:

by ZDR (who did his own layout):
"Well, I am done now. I just have one little problem - how do I stop those little hairs on the back of my neck from standing
up while this baby is playing?"

by ZSAUDIO:
"All of you guys who plan to build this amp just do it. The PCB what Rudi and Metal offer is an art."

I had a problem related to my own build though.
The typcial forward voltage drop of the integrated TT - diodes of my charge of NJL-transistors was higher than of Mihai's transistors,
and I was not able to activate 5 diodes in the TEMPCO - string.

Thanks to a sudden inspiration of FranzM. I bypassed one TT - diode by an external SCHOTTKY diode and fixed my own problem.
Since then I have been able to listen to the beautiful sound of the FC-100.

My "Prototype - Experiences" are documented in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/202047-roenders-fc-100-prototype-builders-thread.html

I have incorporated ZSAUDIO's and my own experiences and your requests into the Revision 1 of the FC-100 PCB
and will offer you in this group-buy:

- the FC-100 Rev.1 PCB:

http://www.abload.de/img/fc_100_gerbv91ybk.png

The PCB includes the Frontend, the Backend and a complete, high-quality Backend - PSU.
Its size is 245 x 74 mm.
For those of you who plan to use your own PSU, reservoirs CAPs, etc..., I have inserted a pre-determined breaking line on the PCB.

The quality of this PCB is the best that you can imagine:
- 2 mm thick FR4 PCB, double-sided, 70µm copper traces covered with Gold immersion, soldermask, silkscreen, ...
Its price will be 15€.

- Mihai's FrontEnd Shunt-PSU:

http://www.abload.de/img/fc-shuntagytp.png

Its size is 76 x 74 mm; its price will be 8€.

- whatever you like to have to "make this group-buy complete", for example:
Futaba 0R1 / 5W emitter resistors, MKP 1839 / 1µF capacitor, input capacitor, Speaker Protect PCB, Soft-Power-On PCB, ...

One of the pre-requisites to make this AMP a real success is to match certain transistors: the input differential pair,
the output- and pre-output drivers, LEDs, ...
I am currently thinking about designing a "Transistor-Matching-PCB" (if you would like to have).

I will leave this group-buy open, until all of your questions have been answered (but will terminate it on April, 15th at least).

I feel a little bit sad, right now.
Mihai's FC-100 is beating my current favourite DIY - AMP, the TO3-SYMASYM.
This is the best-sounding DIY amplifier I have come across so far.

Will there be any AMP - PCB that I will be going to offer you in the future?

Find the current order list below.
Feel free (you would be a fool if not) and join this group-buy.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 3,602
Last edited:
Patrick,

the main differences are:

- 4 reservoir CAPs (instead of 2)
- filter and space for bigger heatsinks in the backend PSU - section
- bigger solder PADs for the emitter-resistors
- each TT - diode can be jumpered individually

I did not change anything regarding the frontend- or backend - section of the AMP.

Best regards - Rudi

Francis,

if you want to: I will order NJL0302DG / NJL0281DG from MOUSER or FARNELL or ...

In the original thread Mihai recommends to closely match the output-transistors (hFE and VBe).
I had a dozen of each of the transistors and the Hfe varied from 91 to 117 (for the NJL0281DG, f.e.).
But I found 2 closely matched triples of each.

I will contact ZSAUDIO and ask him for his experience.
Then I know what I can offer you.

Patrick: I have 4 0R22 resistors left.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 268
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.